The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is that you {HAG}?
Jim Roby

Amory, Ms. usa
Post  Posted 25 Dec 1999 11:13 pm    

My Wife bought me Hags New book {House of Memories for Christmas}, and as we were driving home from Christmas dinner with her folks, I read a quote from the liner notes that Johnny Cash wrote about his longtime friend Merle Haggard, which was stronger than an acre of garlic. {Cash's quote}
"Here is a man with a story to tell--legendary, an Americon icon, Merle Haggard. We have been best of freinds since the early 1960's. I value his friendship more than any earthly thing. One year ago I was lying in the hospital slipping in and out of the coma of death. A man walked quietly into my room, he did not say a word. He walked to my bedside, leaned down, and put his arms around me. I lay there for awhile, feeling his arms gripping me as if he was afraid he would have to let go. I slightly opened my eyes and said {Is that you Hag}? He just nodded his head. He was allowed to stay one munite, but that one moment is more precious to me than anytime in my life." JOhnny Cash

JIm R

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 1999 7:40 pm    

Jim,

I got the book too. Blasted through it in about 2 days. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I was floored by Cash's comments. I think I may have seen that posted on Amazon or somewhere as well. I knew they were good friends, but I guess I didn't know how good. Cash is correct, he does have a story to tell.

I like the fact that Merle intentionally stayed away from naming names where it would reflect poorly on anyone but himself. I noticed that he made an exception in Buck Owens' case a time or two. The story about "Sing Me Back Home" was in his earlier book, so no harm in repeating that one...

I have a lot of thoughts on the book, but mainly I'm glad to see him doing a better job as a family man this time around. His head seems to be in the right place and his faith seems stronger than ever.

------------------
HagFan

Jim Roby

Amory, Ms. usa
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2000 3:55 am    

Ron I can appreciate your comments. I was empressed by the respect that Merle and Johnny have for each other. This is the way it should be for all mankind. But for Haggard,at least he did'nt forget Johnny who had a great influnce for him to change his life and want to amount to something, and get out of prison. I was deepy touched by the way Hag paid John his respect. Two great artist whom I deeply have the utmost respect and neither one can ever be replaced. Two very unique talents. Well I 've rambled long enough!
Happy New year
Jim R

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2000 11:04 am    

In the book Merle says that it was Johnny Cash who convinced him to go public with his prison record. Johnny’s advice was that it would come out sooner or later and Johnny wanted to tell people in his way rather than have the tabloids pick it up, and so that’s what was done.