The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An observation of HNC Dec 99
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 30 Dec 1999 6:19 pm    

It's mid 1996 and I have been online almost a year. One of my country music contacts lead me to knowing the group Lonestar. At the time I was impressed with the likes of IT WAS JUST THE TEQUILA TALKING and NO NEWS. When we communicated ti was the old mantra "yes we will keep it country." The 2nd album came out in 1997 and the biggest single was a pop cover "YOU WALKED IN." I bought the album but it's back of the pack compared to the Hardcore
Country-Americana-Country Classic I have been hoarding. Now 1999 has brought this group a song of the year for AMAZED. So I'm reading the newsgroup and notice BMG has remixed "AMAZED" for POP/top 40 radio. Guys
can't you be satisfied with being country? If not don't pander by changing vocal qualities and remixing to remove Steel Gutairs and Fiddles

On a related note I have been helping some folks in the Steel Gutair forum compose a sight with soundclips and tabs for pedal steel intros and breaks.
As I went thru some HNC CD's circa the early 90's I was hard pressed to find anything worthy of our project. So I'm talking to Ricky Davis and he said forget about music past 1975. Sadly with few exception's I have to agree. Thanks
to my buddy's in Texas and guys the likes of Alan Jackson who understand my
tastes and help me find a more classic definition of Country Music.

My goal for 2000(y2k permitting) is to keep on giving and taking knowledge from resources that understand this definition. Radio etc. will never push me into the 90% most common denominator bracket.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 30 Dec 1999 9:40 pm    

I think Ricky Davis (he's in the band of the great Dale Watson, folks!) is an excellent Steel player.. but I am not sure I can agree that there isn't much good steel after 1975.

Wouldn't the intros or breaks of these songs be worthy?

"1982" (Randy Travis)
"Look At Us" (Vince Gill)
"Don't Rock The Jukebox" (Alan Jackson)
"Kindly Keep It Country" (Vince Gill)
"Highway 40 Blues" (Ricky Skaggs)
"You've Got A Lover" (Ricky Skaggs)
"Maybe It Was Memphis" (Pam Tillis)
"Gone As A Girl Can Get" (George Strait)
"So Much Like My Dad" (George Strait)
"Midnight In Montgomery" (Alan Jackson)

maybe my concept of what a great steel part is different from those who post here, as I am not a steel player, but I am a fan who LOVES country music and loves to hear pedal steel guitar..... and... even on a piece of fluff like "This Kiss".... I hate hearing the "pop" version because they took the STEEL out of it. I thought the steel was an important element of that record.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 1999 1:10 am    

Hey Jerry; there is deffinately some great steel in those cuts you listed. I guess what I ment to Janice is that she is looking at a mass amount of music and per era; you will find alot more great steel per album then; as opposed to now. I like alot of the steel guitar stuff in the last decade or two; but it doesn't knock my socks off like that of the past. Alot of the originality is lost and is too formulated; but that's ok; because it sure sounds perfect; but doesn't stick out and make you go; "Man did you hear that steel guitar". They just don't say that anymore; like they used to. Some of those on your list are an exception; but in a stack of records from this decade or so; you have to dig deep to find it; but from the past It was every record.
Ricky

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2000 6:56 pm    

Janice,

I'm really surprised you consider "No News" a Country song!

Sure fooled me.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2000 5:38 am    

What about the few great albums put out by
Jay Dee and THE DESERT ROSE BAND? They appeared on the scene well after 1975.

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2000 8:41 am    

Chip I did a few clips from the best of the Desert Rose band and The Byrds.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2000 8:55 am    

quote:

; but doesn't stick out and make you go; "Man did you hear that steel guitar". They just don't say that anymore; like they used to.

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes I think this is the reason: The electric guitar just doesn't sound like it did in the 60's, nor is it played the same way in a country band context. The steel doesn't sound like it did in the 60's either, and I think both of "the sounds" are moving toward a middle ground somewhere, where Joe-Average-Listener can hardly tell one from another anymore. Just a thought.
-John

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2000 10:46 am    

Yeah John; my sentiments exactly pal.
I mean don't get me wrong; cause I think the steel guitar sounds great and I love pleanty of what was recorded after '75; but just not as distinguishable and just doesn't hit me the way it did back then.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 02 January 2000 at 10:49 AM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2000 1:40 pm    

I agree. Well said.

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5