The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should Some Opry Members resign?
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 9:26 am    

The one thing I do agree with you people with,the Opry shouldn't bunch up the weaker ones.I for one can't stand to hear Skeeter Davis ,Bill Anderson just plain can't sing,but his delivery,writing, and he certainly can put a band together to cover up his weakness.There are more however the Opry was built on tradition,And It was suppose to be membersip for life ,unless one screws up.If you look at the people who attend and the age they are, most are loyal fans of the existing members.It's all a matter of choice. The newer artist are not going to make it a habit to show up for 125.00 or scale , they can make the big bucks. One thing the Opry is not doing is replentishing the right kind of new supporting members. lets not forget they do not enforce existing members apearance quota's..No matter who the members are they have to support the venue. The existing members have shown a willingness to die on stage.I have seen the view from backstage to audience level, the Opry is not the savior of Country Music ,just the continuing history and tradition of it.OK Make changes only don't destroy it as TNN was destroyed by the influx of the new.I have spoken to people who have made as many as ten trips to the Opry,They hope for some Big stars to be on the show. But they enjoy the Opry as is and never feel disapointed. There are many of course first timers who feel it stinks.MHO

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-21-99]

Earnie Sumerall

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 11:55 am    

Everybody has a valid point. The only answer is to put SMILEY ROBERTS in charge.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 7:14 pm    

Ernie now you have said a mouth full Smiley would get rid of all the R&R trash get some of them boys from Wheeling and kick A$$ and take names

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 2:56 pm    

Now there is an example of something that was good and now gone..WWVA's Jamboree.It's now is a thing of the past as most of the Artist went on to bigger things or just died off.Wheeling use to be a great steping stone.And the little town jumped on saturday night.Lee Moore where are you? Even Smiley had a stopover there. Oh for the good old days

------------------
cjc

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 12:13 am    

Aww s__t,here we go again.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 10:15 am    

Used to be at the Jamboree a lot in the 70's with a nice little group,had a lot of fun. The Jamboree is still up and running, not like the old days though. But then again what is. Pat, Great Gugamooga.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 10:23 am    

I would just say this: Garth is so obscenely wealthy he wouldn't be worried about what The Opry pays; obviously a lower level performer has a legitimate gripe if he has to pass up a more lucrative engagement.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 4:34 am    

OK SJ : where do I send My check?

------------------
cjc

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 10:20 am    

It first starts with a committee who can get commitments then incorporate.Election of officers ,Then a negotiating committee and once it's etablished with a good foundation.Lenders have to be sought.Foundation is the word and everything starts with an Idea big or small.say if everyone on the forum put up a certain amount,just an Idea not a request,1000x1000is how much? Just an example.Harley was saved by such an Idea.And if it would return to the Ryman.What is the Opry anyway? Is it a Building?Is it a Membership?The Building is owned by the Gay_Lords.Are the Members.Whats there too buy?

------------------
cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-27-99]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2000 9:55 am    

Get the feeling CBS is down on Country Music.They made a collage of famous people who have passed away during the year. From jazz to blues to actors to politicians to famous siblings but no mention of any famous country act.I guess they are still alive then because CBS considers themselves the best news source.

------------------
cjc

ART BASTIEN

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2000 7:22 pm    

Put Smiley In charge, that would sraighten out the mess. -my two cents worth!

------------------