The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Was Don Gibson a Great writer/singer
Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 6:53 pm    

Does any one agree that Don Gibson Qualifies as one of the greatest country song writers and singers. I miss him and his music.
What happened to him that he no longer records or writes.

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 7:56 pm    

Its been a blue, blue day cause I can't stop loving you. Oh lonesome me cause i'm having sweet dreams about you on the sea of heartbreak. I've never heard of him. Ray Qualls

------------------

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 9:03 pm    

Hey Louie,
I understand he's been in bad health the last few years. The last time I saw him on the Opry a while back he wasn't looking or singing too good! I always loved his music. especially his versions of "Where No One Stands Alone", "Lonesome #1", I'd Rather Die Young" or any of a dozen others. He had a very soulful style. Does anyone know what ever happened to his guitar player with the Frizzy hair? I think his name was Marvin something.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 10:45 pm    

Don has not recorded since roughly the late 1970s. In fact he effectively retired in the early 80s. I saw him in a dive in Vallejo, CA around 1980 and he was in great shape, but by 1981 or 1982 he had developed a form of neuropathy which apparently affected his speech and ability to get around. So he pretty well disappeared from the public eye for about 10 years. Then maybe 5 or 6 years ago he made a handful of appearances on the Nashville Network--the opry show, and perhaps Ralph Emery's show. He looked fragile and was a bit unsteady. Age and neuropathy had taken some toll on his voice, but it was still great to see him. I have not heard hide nor hair of him in 4 or 5 years, so he has gone back underground I guess. He was nominated for the Country Hall of Fame a time or two in recent years. One of the great writers and a unique singing stylist as well. Bear Family has two boxed sets of his classic recordings over the years 1949 to about 1966.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Dec 1999 11:37 pm    

Marvin Lanier was Don's guitar player. Nice guy, told ya what to play when Don came onstage.

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 8:20 am    

Marvin is a very old friend of mine.Have known him for roughly 25 yrs.I had a phone conversation with him in March.He moved back to his hometown of Charleston S.C.He had a stroke last year and is partially paralized.He said he can still play but not as well.He is still playing a club in Charleston and the club owner was kind enough to let him keep his job.He is one of the nicest guys I have ever known.
Marvin had a ball working for Don.He said he was the best artist he ever worked for.Seems like he was with Don for 7 or 8 years,not sure.

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 12-24-99]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 9:12 am    

I'm sure folks will remember Sweet Dreams, Oh Lonesome Me and I Can't stop Loving You as bonified classics.
Don is one who never got his due in the Hall of Fame though

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 9:15 am    

When I was with Dottsy, we played several shows backing Don, mostly outdoor fairs. Marvin told us everything we had to do. We'd do our set, no Don in sight. Then a Cadillac would drive up to the stage, Don and a very statuesque blonde would emerge, and he'd jump onstage in a sharkskin suit and the silliest looking cowboy hat you've ever seen on a country performer. He used no stage patter, just sang, and when he wanted a solo he'd yell "steel man" and I'd play. He referred to me as "steel man" on and offstage, incidentally.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 9:44 am    

I had the pleasure of working with Don on one of the east coast tours in the late 70s. As previously stated Marvin would let you know what and when to do it. Don also referred to me as "Steel Man". His wife Bobbe and Marvin were 3 of the nicest people I've had the occaision to work with. A real pleasure.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 10:19 am    

I saw Don live once in the Los Angeles area at a park called Knott's Berry Farm. I couldn't believe what happened. His opening act was a local semi-celebrity named Molly Bee. She opened her show with "Oh Lonesome Me". That girl was either ignorant or had no class.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 12-24-99]