The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Some More TNN Quotes from th VP of Programming
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 2:44 pm    

From Brian Hughes, VP of Programming in Billboard Magazine:

The change in emphasis, says TNN VP of Programming Brian Hughes, is further aimed at its core audience of females ages 25-54 and means that "we are broadening the program content with the addition of dramas and so on," says Huges. The bigger picture here is a presentation of programming that has a greater appeal that isn't offensive to the core TNN viewer, and includes in a number of cases country music, but in a different presentation form.

"Prime Time Country was getting better," say Hughes. "It was a good show, but doing a talk show like that night in and night out in Nashville with a limited roster and limited talent pool, made it very difficult to generate the types of ratings and demographics that are very necessary."

"Across the board, everyone has the same mantra-you either increase your numbers and deliver a demography that is attractive to an advertiser, or you're losing in the business world," adds Hughes. "I say that with a heavy heart because I love country music hugely, and I was a religious watcher of 'Prime Time Country.' But it had been on a long time, and there is so much competition out there, and that vehicle unfortunately was not succeeding in prime time the way it needed to be."

[This message was edited by John Macy on 12-09-99]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 3:11 pm    

OK let me add Could the reason "prime time Country did not succeed be lack of Prime Time country? I mean the show became a showcase for anything but Country Music.If they really wanted it to succeed all they had to do was bring Back Ralph Emery,and Let him bring in good Country Talent.There is always a good aray of talent in town.All they needed was to return a talent show like "You can be a Star",along with the nightime Variety Country show watch the talent head back into Nashville again. The show(Nashville Now) was a huge success and one of the best rated and awarded Cable variety shows. We didn't need to see Circus acts in Vegas or Disney World as "Prime time Country resorted too.. The Audience wants country Music...The Opry,Fan fair,or any tourist event will suffer because of the lack of adds promoting happenings. Nashville Now even as it left the Air was a Cable front runner and TNN's flagship show, at times promoting happenings in and around the Nashville area....NOW TNN is one of the worst networks of reruns on cable.Its just a tad better than a local cable access channel.that guy is FULL OF $hit.IMHO.

cjc

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-13-99]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 5:49 pm    

Is there any real connection between TNN and the Nashville tourist attractions like the Opry and Fan Fair? It looks to me like TNN is a cable television station like any other, that just happens to be in Nashville.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 8:43 pm    

b0b,
The whole,initial,idea of TNN was to give the country music fans,all over the world a cable channel of their own. 24 hrs. of country music & country-related shows,("You Can Be A Star","This Week In Country Music",etc.) Archie Campbell had a great interview show at the beginning of TNN.(can't remember the name,right now). The show's not on,anymore,for obvious reasons,but,why don't they(TNN)get someone to revive the show.The fans want to know about their artists. I knew it (TNN) was headed downhill,when they got "Whimperin' " Bill Anderson to MC a game show.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Just thought of the Campbell show. It was,"Yesteryear In Nashville".GREAT show!!

[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 12-09-99]

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 11:37 pm    

I get a channel called Country Music Television (CMT). It's mostly music videos. Some of them are pretty good, like there's a Junior Brown video of "I Gave It Up" (maybe wrong title) that has a lot of pickin' in it. Is there any connection between CMT and TNN?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 2:44 am    

CMT and TNN are related in some way, not sure exactly how. However, the video's on CMT put me in mind of early MTV rather than "Country Music Television".

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 8:23 am    

I noticed that this week's TV Guide has the "Top 100 Music Videos of All Time", as chosen by MTV and TV Guide. I thought that was awful one-sided. If it didn't play on MTV, I guess it can't be in the top 100?

You'd think they invented the music video or something. Pffft!

Sorry for the diversion...

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 8:42 am    

b0b....my cableTV company just revamped my
entire channels list and the new lineup now
includes CMT.
The very 1st video was a great one by Ray Benson doing Cherokee Maiden. A lot closeups and old footage of country greats, including the Hag.
Also closeups of Cindy Cashdollar playing
her 3-neck Fender.
Well; so far, so good.

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:25 am    

Smiley... wasn't the Archie Campbell show called "Yesteryear in Nashville?" It was a cool show, a very cool show.

Hey, the "Outlaw Channel" was supposed to be another country music messiah. What happened to that? It begs many questions. Could it be that advertisers are not attracted to country music fans? Do country fans spend less $$, as a general demographic, than other age/interest groups?

One thing about reruns on TNN or any other station: they are much cheaper to put on the air than having to produce your own shows. "Prime Time Country" undoubtedly had a huge staff expense, fixures, equipment, liability insurance, etc. "Crook and Chase" were much more minimal, but still had a large employee expense. The "Dukes of Hazzard," perhaps my least favorite show after "Dallas," can be broadcast by a computer. Reduce the cost/quality of your programming, and the % of profit goes up. Very short term approach. I wonder if they're trying to get out of a hole, or CBS is expecting higher numbers, or both, or what?

I'm no expert on the TV bidness, but thats one man's uneducated guess.

------------------
members.aol.com/herbs10178/index.html

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:42 am    

How you can expect higher numbers out of Dallas and Dukes reruns is beyond my depth of imagination, regardless of costs.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 12:23 pm    

I believe Stan Hitchkok started the CMT and was sold ,to who escapes me but I think not CBS>

------------------
cjc

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 1:36 pm    

TNN and CMT were Gaylord properties that were sold to CBS (Gaylord retained CMT International) in 1997, and will soon become Viacom properties.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 1:46 pm    

I think that if Brian Hughes really wanted to keep PTC, he would have just moved it to 2:00 a.m., and called it "Early Country", or something similar.

I wonder what kind of ratings those "infomercials" generate?

Sorry Brian, you could take a few lessons from "Austin City Limits".

Drop the "talk show" format, drop the glitzy production, disco lights and fancy sets; and give people what they want...intimate, good music...and nothing more!

p.s. We don't care WHAT time it comes on.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 2:42 pm    

I`m with you Donny I think a format similar to Austin City Limits on tnn if only one time a week would be a major step in the right direction..I believe Tommy once said Gary Chapman was a nice guy and I believe he is,but I did not enjoy him as a host....

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:29 pm    

Herbster said...
Quote:
Hey, the "Outlaw Channel" was supposed to be another country music messiah. What happened to that?

Good question Herb! I paid my subscription and was merrily watching away...then *POOF* it was gone! I guess maybe not enough others subscribed or something. That, and only being available on C band satellite probably made for too small of a market potential.

Also, Willie had S.E.T. (Southern Entertainment Television) that went off the air about the same time. It was more of a country/bluegrass Gospel type programming.

Oh well...anyway, I sure miss the Outlaw Channel, but at least I made several videos before they went off. At least I can still enjoy Hal, Curly and Don burning up the steel on the Wilburn Brothers Show!!!

Lem

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Dec 1999 9:39 am    

if ratings are the name of the game, why not put jerry springer on and for guests you could have all the good old country singers beat up the shallow, soul-lacking programmers and other capitalist pigs who put their careers in the toilet?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 1999 9:45 am    

This is who you're dealing with.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 12 Dec 1999 9:57 pm    

I used to get a TVRO C-band satellite channel which someone mentioned here, back in late '97.... Had the Porter Waggoner Show, & all the content was great old '60's & '70's Country Music shows & specials, even with the old commercials! Is the downlink still active?
>
On TNN I used to watch "American Music Shop", rabidly. What happened to that? Too good for the channel?
>
I remember when VH-1 came out they had more
adult oriented artists' videos and for a while was excellent. A month after we finally got the channel here it was bought by MTV!
You can guess the rest. S.O.S.D.D.
>
BTW, speaking of Country Music Radio, is anyone here (hams?) up to date on the status
of " Microbroadcasting"? you can cover a 100 sq. mile, 10 mi. x 10 mi. or so area with good terrain and a $200 100mW transmitter. How's that for an idea? R F N, Radio - Free Nashville? Hey, why not?

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 13 Dec 1999 2:42 am    

Hey Jon ,anyway you could get me that little fellow for Christmas? My little dog would just love, chewing an pawing om him.I dont thing it would take much to feed him huh?

------------------