The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Norm Hamlet is like fine wine....
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 1999 3:03 pm    

Norm you just play better and better. "For the Record" proved so. Keep up the great work and please let Merle know that the duets with Bonnie, such as, Just Between the Two of Us,are great too and timeless. You all are the Bakersfield Sound. Good luck and good health to you.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 1999 4:20 pm    

Gary,

I would certainly second that notion...

Hopefully, you've heard Live at Billy Bob's Texas. We've talked about it here before--behind Norm's back while he was on the road. You have to get it if you enjoy Norm's playing. Many of us believe this is his best ever!!! There are several steel turnarounds in tunes that originally had little or no steel. Everyone was on top of their game that night.

------------------
HagFan

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 30 Nov 1999 7:46 pm    

Where can I get a cassette or CD of Haggard's Live at Billy Bobs? Al Udeen

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 1999 3:12 am    

I ordered my copy of that cd from amazon.com, and as I recall, it was relatively inexpensive.

Ken Tinsman

Buedingen/Wolf, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Dec 1999 5:15 am    

Ron, not that I would ever disagree with you or anything but I wouldn't say EVERYONE was at the top of their game at Billy Bobs. The more I listen to the CD (every day) the more irritated I get at some of the guitar playing. Maybe I'm just picky, and I'm probably just missin Roy, but a lot of the guitar solos sound kind of "made up on the fly with a change of heart in the middle." It's also the first time I can remember hearing Johnny Gimble's fiddle being less than right on top of it. Maybe he had a bad monitor mix.

But Norm be jammin! That solo in "Think I'll just stay here and drink." Whahumma! Maybe Roy not being there has given Hag the idea to let Norm be more up front.

If you like the Hag, you should have this CD. If you don't like the Hag, uh, what the heck are you doin in this section of the forum?

Ummm IMHO

[This message was edited by Ken Tinsman on 12-01-99]

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 1999 7:20 am    

i talked to norm a couple times and found him to be one of the finest gentlemen alive....i got the impression that arrangements and twin stuff between roy and norm were largely off the cuff natural occurences...best ESP i've ever heard........and i've gotta mention a founding member of that same gentlemen's club
. tiny moore .. who's electric five string mandolin instantly raised the level of any tune to nirvana, euphoria, heaven or whatever
club you subscribe to!!!

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 1999 7:19 pm    

I don't mean to concern you Ken, but I pretty much agree with you on LABBT. I find the guitar pretty solid though. There were a couple fiddle runs that might have been improved, but it was a welcome addition just the same. Merle, Norm, Redd, Don, (drummer) were all great.

Chris, I met Norm at St. Louis. Bent his ear quite a bit over the course of 3 days. He was kind enough to correspond by e-mail before the convention, so I'd planned to meet up with him and his California steeler friend, Larry Petrie (sp?). Norm really seemed to enjoy talking Hag and steel. I bought a copy of Winnie Winston's book and had Norm autograph a photo that was about 30 years old, and had him update my copy of his copedant. It's changed only slightly over the years; uses a 4th pedal and changed a knee, if I recall correctly.

------------------
HagFan