The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  opry tonite
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 9:40 pm    

There's a saying the goes "He cant sing, but he plays bad guitar!" Pretty well sums up Leroy< Good fiddle player saved his butt, Great dobro w/ Jean S. Dave Robbins sounded real good! Now if he would only drop the 440 stuff? You can have BJ kr

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 20 Nov 1999 11:56 pm    

I was standing on the stage there listening to LeRoy tonight, and he sounded fantastic. His guitar on "Faded Love" was classic . Not to mention he was one of the most in tune vocalists of the evening (he also plays some of the most tasteful and well intonated slide guitar anywhere).

His version of "Is Anybody Going to San Antone" was sung for Doug Sahm, and he was really choked up in the dressing room about the loss of a great Texas legend.

I'm not sure what you were hearing..

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 1:08 am    

John! I know one thing I did'nt hear, was Faded Love? When did he do that? C'mon guys bail me out with your honest opinion! Also this was the first time I've not heard him play slide! he needs to stick to that. Most in tune? give me a break! kr

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 5:44 am    

With the exeption of Jean & band "ALRIGHT,MIGHTY FINE"
Billy

James Smith

Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 6:24 am    

I'm sorry but I must have missed "Faded Love" as well as Kyle Reid. I did change channels a few times. I'm not trying to do anything here other than express my honest opinion, but, Le Roy Parnell did not sound like the most in tune vocalist all night to me. However, if he was upset due to the recent death of a friend, I can understand that would be the reason. And BTW I don't make my living with music, so my opinion may not be very valuable, but it's my opinion just the same.
I also thought that Dave Robbins on steel with JS was the highlight of the entire show, but, I guess I'm biased because I love the sound of PSG. Yes, I know this is the Country Music area, but It's still the "STEEL GUITAR" Forum .

[This message was edited by James Smith on 11-21-99]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 7:38 am    

LeeRoy did Faded Love on the second show which was not telavised. James Pennabecker usualy plays lead guitar.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 7:54 am    

Kyle I'm with you on this one buddy.If Leroy was having a rough night because of the loss of a friend,,understood.You can be sure he's had a slide in his left hand for a long time.The old fingers just wouldn't go.Ya' know I'll bet if Leon had been asked to fill in for the absent guitar player I'm sure he would have done a bang up job of the turn around in" San Antone ".
What really annoyed me even more was BJ."Did you a-hever ha-hear a raa-haa-bin sing".Enough said about that one.

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 11-21-99]

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 11:12 am    

Earl! Thanks for bailin me! It takes a Pro like you to know whats goin on! I love your definition of "Robin" He;s allways had that glitch in his voice! Your Buddy for sure!! kr

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 3:59 pm    

Well, Kyle, I guess I'm just not a "pro". I've only made a living for 28 years in the studio as both a player and a producer (and I have made a good chuck of my living understanding what's in tune and not). I turn around from my desk and see a wall full of gold and platinum records with my name on them. But I guess I am not "pro" enough to hear that tuning, even when I was standing on the stage firsthand.

I guess I'll take my business and opinions somewhere else where the non-pros hang out.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 4:08 pm    

You know it's really something when the opery puts on such garbage as Leroyyyyyy and BBBBB JJJJ ROCK IN ROLL Thomas and good musicans who have probley done more for country that them 2 will ever do and you must argue . Come on John you and Kyle make up

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 4:57 pm    

Kyle,in response to your post, I think you meant BJ instead of Dave Robbins when you described the glitch?Dave is Jean's steeler.

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 5:01 pm    

It's easy to see John is his manager or if not, the closest thing to it, or he would'nt have come on so heavy? come on John tell us who the real John is? Man what suspense! Earl&Bill were going to win this one by a landslide, it;s so nice to be right! kr

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 5:10 pm    

Earl! I was referring to the word Robin in the song that BJ sang? I know Dave R. from when he played at Gabe's kr

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 5:15 pm    

Come on so heavy?? Sorry, you posted your opinion, and I posted mine. It should have stayed there. I didn't ask others to validate mine, and then take a cut at someone because another "pro" agreed with them.

You know, I am rising to this bait, and I told myself I wouldn't.

Cya

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 6:15 pm    

John! This would have been over last nite if you had just admitted he was having a bad nite!Look at all the other posts! I dare you to name one artist thats on your FULL wall. kr

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA

John,

Would you say the Jon Wayne band is out of tune?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA

d.p.

[This message was edited by Earnest Bovine on 11-21-99]

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 6:16 pm    

John-that"pro"stuff sure came back to haunt you fast,didn't it?I feel your pain...

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 7:53 pm    

Kyle and John I do believe you will both have to admit that on the opery was not there only bad nite just that every time they attempt to make people believe they ar playing country they have bad nites or day which ever the case may be. Oh also any other kind of stuff they call music is kinda bad!! No sorry real bad

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 8:49 pm    

Hey Steve, I hear you. Glad to see you are back around, though.

I think I'll take your lead and take a vacation for a while, since it seems the only way to satisfy some people is for me to "admit" my OPINION is wrong, and it also sounds like I am subtlely being accused of being a liar about my "wall". Life is waay too short.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 9:07 pm    

John-BTW,I was at the Midnight Jamboree last nite too-My wife and I were the people going out with Cass and Galbraith on their breaks.Wasn't it great?Wish I'd known you were there!

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 9:12 pm    

IT hanging on the wall you redneck mother?
Hey ,that might make a hit song?

------------------

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 1999 9:14 pm    

Steve,

Ronnie Miller and I both had real early flights out, so we took off pretty soon. Listened to the rest on the radio. Sorry I missed you, maybe next month. Man, I love Greg's playing, and that Cass always sounds great, too. He said that EMCI sounded even better than his PP, and I think he's right (or at least as good!)

Cya

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 24 Nov 1999 11:34 pm    

Is that Greg Galbraith? His playing with Buddy & Swing Shift Band always knocks my socks off.