The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two (2) Marlen Guitars
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2005 4:51 pm    

D-10 all-pull, green lacquer, 8 and 5, "Emmons" setup w/ "Franklin pedal".

More photos available at www.tarheelmusic.com/marlend10.html

A great guitar, just cleaned thoroughly, set up and tweaked by my friend Jack Palmer of New Bern, NC. This one still has Leonard's original pickups on it. A few bar dings, but otherwise a beauty! The guitar is at Ray Walker's house right now, but I believe it's a 1988 model. Case included, of course. $1995 firm, including shipping up to $50.

There are more bar dings than I remembered (see linked photos), as I had not seen the guitar for a few weeks. Therefore, I'm adjusting the price to $1800 firm, including up to $50 shipping. This is a great guitar, at a great deal!

SD-10, pull-release, 3 and 4, teal lacquer. Jack Palmer also went through this one for me, and did a great job. George L pickup. Case included. $1495 firm, including shipping up to $50.

I'll try to get photos of the SD-10 up ASAP.

Please email me with any questions-rick@tarheelmusic.com

Anyone is welcome to come to Smithfield and see/play either/both of these great instruments.

Thanks!

Rick

------------------
Rick McDuffie
Rick's Music Photo Gallery
www.tarheelmusic.com

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 12 May 2005 at 08:47 AM.]

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 4:49 am    

The D-10 is in fact a great playing guitar and sounds like a million bucks. I would like to own this guitar but unfortunately I have just purchased a load of recording equipment and it's not a good time to add to the toy list if you know what I mean. This guitar has not been all beat up like a lot of the old guitars and does in fact have the original PUPs on it. Stays in tune and has tone tone tone. The case is in good condition as well. I have a fellow who wants to look at it but he also understands that it is up for grabs to the first one with the money.

Ray

Riddy Ahmet

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 6:41 am    

Hi Rick,
Just new to S.G.F. I'm interested in your Marlen, don't know much about them, I'm from Australia and there is none that I know of around here, how do the marlen stack up against an Emmons or a Zum. I will be coming to the U.S. in june this year.I play an Australian made P.S.G.But I'm After a more professional Guitar, by the way I'm interested in the D10.

------------------

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 11 May 2005 7:16 am    

Hi Riddy,

In my opinion, the Marlen is as good as anybody's guitar, and the tone of a Marlen is somewhere between the "metallic" Emmons sound and the "wooden" Sho-Bud sound. As with all the older push-pull-type guitars, the older Marlens have their devotees because of the distinctive tone that you can only get out of a single-finger changer. The newer all-pull guitars are easier to tune, to set up, and have a more "modern" sound. Both designs stay in tune well, but the pull-release guitars can be troublesome if they're not set up properly (the one I have for sale IS set up properly).

The Marlen was built by Leonard Stadler of Reidsville, NC, who passed away 2-3 years ago. There are some similarities between Marlen and Emmons, because Leonard Stadler and Ron Lashley learned to build steel guitars together in Leonard's basement in Reidsville in the 50's.

In my opinion, the Marlen is visually the most beautiful steel guitar ever made. Do a search on the Forum, and you'll find a world of information on them here.

Ricky Davis, who is one of the resident Marlen authorities here on the forum, has some great photos of Marlens on his "house of wood" website at http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/house_of_wood.htm

Photos of these two guitars are on the way!

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 11 May 2005 at 08:19 AM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 11:38 am    

Those old Marlens DO sound, and look, as good as, or better than, anything out there, 'cept maybe a well-preserved Sho-Bud. BUT, that "pull-release" changer and tuning system are not for the faint of heart! There was a thread awhile back, detailing exactly how to tune these things. It would do a prospective buyer a world of good to search that one out.
Now, all that being said, I am NOT trying to discourage anyone from buying one of these guitars. Rick's good people to deal with!

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 11 May 2005 12:13 pm    

Johnny Barham wrote that very helpful piece, Steve. I have saved it on my home computer, and will be glad to pass it along to whomever is interested.

You will never have trouble with a pull-release guitar if it's set up properly... unless you start monkeying around underneath. Once set up, they should be left alone... all the raises and lowers can be tuned at the endplate and/or with the stop screws on the changer. Messing with things underneath is best left to those who are "in the know".

I've encountered some distractions and have been delayed on the photos... hopefully tomorrow...

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 11 May 2005 at 01:14 PM.]

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 12 May 2005 7:48 am    

Photos of the all-pull D10 are up and ready for viewing!

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2005 6:06 pm    

Hey Rick.
Beautiful Marlen. I wish you good luck on the sale. Marlens are a sweet sounding steel. And they don't, at least mine doesn't, break strings.
Duncan

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 14 May 2005 4:44 am    

Thanks, Duncan. Bumpsky.

Dwight Rudd

Danville, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2005 7:47 am    

Any photos of the teal laquer SD-10? Thanks.

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 16 May 2005 3:12 am    

Rats. Double post.

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 16 May 2005 at 04:14 AM.]

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 16 May 2005 3:13 am    

Hi Dwight. Here are a couple. I'll take some more as soon as can.

Both guitars are still for sale!

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 16 May 2005 at 04:15 AM.]

Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 1:41 pm    

MAN...............
I'VE GOT TO GET ME A SECOND JOB.

Carlos

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 19 May 2005 4:27 am    

Thanks for the replies and emails, fellas. I'm inclined to stick to my price on these two guitars. They're exceptional, and well worth the investment. Their value will only increase, since the Marlen is no longer being made.

For you Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association guys, both guitars can be seen at our shop (let me know if you're coming, because I'm not always there). There's nothing like playing an instrument to know what it will really do!

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 19 May 2005 4:39 am    

If they are no longer being made, how could a person obtain parts? The guitars look great!

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 19 May 2005 4:52 am    

Hello Curt. Lenny Stadler (Leonard's son) has a big inventory of Marlen parts, and he does plan to start selling them. Leonard Stadler was the designer and builder of Marlen guitars. Lenny is a Forum member, and I can put the buyer in touch with him.

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 19 May 2005 at 05:54 AM.]