The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SD-10 3x5 mullen (2004)
Jordan Shapiro

Echo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2004 11:05 pm    

I have a beautiful sd-10 3x5 blue woodgrain mica Mullen in great condition, but would really like to start in on the other neck mine is missing. I've never owned an emmons, but every one that I've played, I liked.
I am looking to trade this towards a (prefferably black) D-10 Push pull. (emmons setup)
I am in no real hurry here, so if you'd like to talk about doing something, feel free to email me, or give me a shout @ 323.819.0959
If you're tired of haulin' around that heavy ol' D-10, lets talk!
Thanks,
Jordan Shapiro

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 7:14 am    

What year Model is your Mullen Sd-10

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Mullen Lacquer D-10 Sessions 400 Limited ,ProFex II http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

[This message was edited by Daniel J. Cormier on 16 December 2004 at 07:14 AM.]

John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 8:16 am    

Does it have to be a push pull Emmons?

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 12:29 pm    

The Mullen is a 2004, and my fantasy would be to get a push pull with wood necks, but I'll take the metal necks.
I've never played a le Grand, so I'd be hesitant to trade for a type of guitar I've never played.
I'm used to the pedal action on the mullen, but wouldn't mind a little more resistance that I've found on the push pulls I've played.
The sho bud I had was damn near impossible to get the pedals and knee levers pressed without hurtin' myself.
So if you have or know of a p/p with decent pedal and knee lever action, let me know!
Thanks,
Jordan.
Oh yeah, if you have the "never miss a note" attachment on it, I'll pay extra!
(Edited to add this)
I've had some interest here, and have opened my mind to a nice(prefferably Marrs'd) sho bud if any one has one.
Also tried to email you Mr Cox, but it was returned.

[This message was edited by Jordan Shapiro on 16 December 2004 at 03:06 PM.]

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 3:17 pm    

Is there a specific reason why you do not want another Mullen?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 3:29 pm    

Sounds like the specific reason is that he wants an Emmons PP. Not trying to be a smartass. A Mullen is a Mullen. I heard Buzz Evans playing his a few years ago and knew that this was a fine guitar. And an Emmons PP is an Emmons PP. In a perfect world we could all afford to own at least one of every guitar that turned us on. But sometimes we have to choose an apple over an orange.

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 3:55 pm    

I cannot tell you how happy I have been with my Mullen! It is a solid guitar, stays in tune with the best of 'em. Solid pedal and knee stops etc, etc.
I want to move into a D-10, and I've really liked all of the P/P's I've played.
Also, I've had people offering to buy the guitar outright, which I am not opposed to.
The guitar is less than 1 yr old, has the polished knee and lever package, and a george-L 10-1 in it. They cost 2750 new, and I would like to get in the realm of 2250 for it. It is perfect mechanically and damn near perfect cosmetically!
If anyone is in the Seattle area, I will be flying up there tomorrow to play a gig or two with the supersuckers, So you can come see me make a great guitar sound like $#%@^#!!!
Hell if the right guy saw me play, he'd probably give me a P/P, figuring I need all the help I can get!!
Thanks,
Jordan

Jack Turlington

Toccoa, GA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 6:05 pm    

Wow! There must have been something BAD wrong with that Sho-Bud you had.

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 8:12 pm    

It was a nice gitar, it was just a bit stiff. I'm sure with the right adjustments It would've been better, but I bought this mullen and never touched the bud again.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 8:56 am    

Jordan,
After I got my Mullen I never really played my Sho-Bud much after that. It has since been sold. The idea of having a vintage guitar with a lacquer body, wooden necks, and a heritage really appealed to me. But the fact is that the "classic Sho-Bud sound" is, in my opinion, not appreciably different than the sound of a/my Mullen, and the difference in the mechanics and action is night and day. The steel offers enough challenges without having to fight non-compliant mechanics.
-Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10
Lexicon MPX 100
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500 -or-
Peavey Nashville 1000
Vox wah-wah pedal
My dog Toby sittin' on the floor listening

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 2:35 am    

Anyone want to make an offer?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 7:10 pm    

Jordan brought this Mullen in for a lesson with me a couple of months ago, it's a gorgeous, great sounding, great playing mint guitar.

Jordan, I have some new students coming in January, if you haven't sold it soon, ring me up at home or work and let's see if we can't get a student interested in your guitar.

I'd reconsider the p/p direction, I don't think they can accommodate the many changes and splits very commonly found on steels these days, anyone out there able to confirm or refute that belief? And my Mullen D-12 stays unbelievably in tune, I love that. I had a student with an S-10 p/p in recently, and in side by side comparison through the exact same rig, the tone was virtually identical, the Emmons had no advantage over my Mullen that I could hear. And the Mullen is way easier to work on, believe me!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 9:32 pm    

John,
Do you really think that a Mullen sounds like a PP
Emmons ? They are great guitars but that is crazy talk !
Thats like saying my JC120 sounds just like my Showman.

Push pulls are a pain to deal with but if you want "that" sound nothing can scratch the tone itch like an old Emmons.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 10:33 pm    

Thanks for the plug John! I Got a good deal on a black 95' LeGrand D-10 8x5, and have listed my Mullen on the dreaded Ebay.
I think all will be well here, I've got (almost) exactly what I want, and seeing as it's a newer all pull guitar, it should be easier to deal with.
I may be able to trade my gretsch(that I don't really play anymore) for a 73' fatback that needs a little TLC, so maybe I'll have my newer "easier to deal with" guitar, and my "old cool full o' tone yet pain in the ass" guitar too!!
We'll see.............
Jordan

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2004 1:05 pm    

I would have to agree with John on the tone. You can definitely make a Mullen sound just like a push pull. I have heard several sound like them. With all the different pickups these days, you can get almost any sound. IMHO I think the stock pickups sound the best, True Tone comes in second.

I also know this guitar is in perfect condition and also comes with the factory warrantee.

[This message was edited by Mike Mantey on 30 December 2004 at 01:11 PM.]

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2004 4:20 pm    

Folks, Jordan used this steel at a lesson I gave him recently, it's mint, it's gorgeous, it plays like butter and sounds divine, as do all Mullens (I play a Mullen D-12). I wish I could afford to buy it as my studio teaching steel.

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2004 6:06 pm    

So the Mullen looks like it might sell on ebay, and I just was able to trade a newer gretsch 6120 plus a little cash, for a black 73' fatback.
So last week I had one sd-10 mullen, this week I have 2 D-10 emmons guitars one of which is a nice classic p/p.
I'm just trying to figure out how to ease these guitars into my household without my wife figuring it out!! Hmmmmmm??
If I could play like Mr. McClung, It wouldn't matter what kind of guitar I was playing, but I need all the help I can get, so maybe the Emmons will help. John sure does make that d-12 Mullen sound great!
Cheers,
J

Jordan Shapiro

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2004 6:53 pm    

You can lock this one up!

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2005 6:49 am    

The Pedales On All The Sho-buds I've Had Was Like Butter Great Guitars IHave A Pro 111 Now & A GFI. SONNY.

------------------

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2005 11:14 am    

Those old Professional Sho-Buds pedals play with little effort.I have had a few of them with the old barrel tuners and I have liked them as well as any and more than some.
I have had a couple of Mullen guitars, and the pedal action on the ones I had was just easy, smooth and noiseless. They stayed in tune too.

Now if Mike and Del can get together and figure out how to have them weigh as little as the Carter, Williams , Excel and GFI, and still retain all the great Mullen Features..........al

---------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 03 January 2005 at 11:20 AM.]