The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Speedy West Marlen For Sale
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 7:29 pm    

After a long deliberation, I've decided to sell this beautiful Marlen Speedy West guitar with 8 & 4. These photos don't quite do it justice- as good as it looks here, it's even more stunning up close! It plays and sounds great. If you're looking for that vintage steel guitar tone, look no further- this pull-release Marlen has it in spades! The guitar was refinished by the inimitable Ray Walker and refurbished by the great Ricky Davis, so you know it was done just right! The body and necks are stunning birdseye and the aprons are cocabola. Please email me with any questions- I can send you a copedent. You can see pics of the underside at http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/house_of_wood.htm

The case is rough, but otherwise she's 100%.

I need to get $1850 plus shipping for her. No trades, please.

Rick

------------------
Rick McDuffie
Rick's Music Photo Gallery
www.tarheelmusic.com

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 29 June 2004 at 11:35 AM.]

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 8:45 pm    

Quick, someone put a blindfold on Duncan Hodge and hide his computer. His wife will be forever grateful. steve

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 9:55 pm    

Well as you can see from the pic below; "I LOVE PLAYING THIS SPEEDY WEST MARLEN"

This is one Awesome pedal steel with a Sound that is out of this world and looks to stop folks dead in their tracks.
Don't let the single-finger pull release system fool you; it can be(and this one is)an extreamly stable tuning system and it's real easy as here is the copedent below and the instructions I wrote on how to tune it.
The pickup and three-way switch with coil tap is awesome and sounds waaay cool. The sound of this Marlen is completly inbetween a Shobud and push-pull Emmons if that makes sense??ha.. Ray did an outstanding refinish on this Marlen and did a chrome plate insert behind the fingers with "Speedy" "West" engraved on them> too cool for school man.
Ok here's the scoop.

Tuning the Single Finger Pull-Release Marlen

Section 1 is for all strings that either raise or lower
Section 2 is for strings that Raise and Lower

Section 1
1) Tune all open notes to pitch
2) Tune all Raises on pedals and knee levers first, to desired pitch; than retune open string with the metal hex screw on the end plate(5th string raise on “C” pedal is tuned with Nylon tuner on finger)
3) For lowers; engage pedal or knee lever; and tune with hex screw on the end plate, to desired pitch.

Section 2
E9 neck
1) Strings 4 & 8 both raise and lower; so tune the 4th string raise to F# on pedal first. Than retune open E note with the nylon tuner that lowers the string. Than engage the lower and tune to desired pitch with the hex screw on the end plate. Than tune the raise to F knee lever with the nylon tuner that raises the string.
2) For the 8th string; tune the raise with the nylon tuner that raises the string…than tune the lower on hex screw on the end plate.
Section 3
C6 neck
1) Strings 3; 9 and 10 both raise and lower; so tune the pedal raise to D to pitch; than retune open note with nylon tuner that lowers. Than engage lower and tune desired pitch on hex screw at the end plate.
2) Strings 9 & 10 are tuned the same as string 3.
Note: It’s really easy once you do it a few times. The guitar is already set up to go and come back on all strings pulled or released…..so there should only be minor adjustments if any, as time goes on the strings and/or changing strings.
Have fun…

Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 28 June 2004 at 10:57 PM.]

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 12:09 am    

Hello Rick,
Not to make a liar out of my good friend Steve...could you send a few pictures of the Marlen? I seem to be having trouble getting on to Ricky's site. I am looking for just one more. Thanks, Duncan

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 3:08 am    

Well I must at least chime in on this one. This Marlen is one of the nicest that I have had the opportunity to refinish. The figuring in the wood is unmatched by any other that I have ever seen. The original fret boards cleaned up nicely and are in great condition. It's always fun to take one apart and see the "notes" that the builder hand writes on the guitars and it gives one a real sense of the history that you hold in your hands. My lovely wife showed up in my shop each and every day I worked on this guitar to gently remind me that I just couldn't get another steel guitar right now. When she finally saw the end result my hopes shot up sky high when all she could say was "WOW!!". Then she abruptly kissed me on the cheek and gently whispered "no" I sincerely hope the one who gets this guitar will be kind to her and play her like she was meant to be played and above all appreciate such a fine quality instrument and such a remarkable piece of history. Ya think Ricky know's what he's doing?????....have a look underneath. Wonderful craftsmanship.

Ray Walker

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 6:31 am    

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 8:53 am    

Wish I could, wish I could!! Boy, am I drooling over this one!! Would love to have it, but I am out of room for more guitars.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 12:36 pm    

I got the SD-10 Marlen from preacher Rick several months ago, and the tone was, and is INCREDIBLE! I changed some knee levers, did some moe stuff underneath, to "customize" the feel, but it's one fine guitar! And if you buy from Rick, you'll get to know a pretty cool guy!

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 5:03 pm    

Rick, that is about the most beautiful steel, and I am prone to saying that, but this time I really mean it, that I have ever seen. I need just one more to complete my collection I think I may have found it. I'm drooling and have money in the bank. That is a dangerous combination. Duncan

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 5:17 pm    

Aw, you guys are the nicest!

Steve, I'm glad you're loving the SD-10. That guitar is the reason that I bought the Speedy... it's an incredible-sounding guitar. Those two instruments share the same pull-release changer design, and there's nothing out there that sounds like it. Tone to the bone.

Duncan, I like the way you're talking!

If you guys have any questions about this guitar, you might direct them to Ricky Davis. Actually, he has more experience on it than I do, as I haven't played much steel since the Speedy came back to me... I've been so busy with my day gig that I haven't been able to make much music. Ricky lived with it for a few weeks, and he can speak to just about any question... and I think he'd be willing to help in his usual positive, good-natured way.

I didn't mention it earlier, but this guitar was built by Leonard Stadler in 1971.

Beauties like this don't come along every day. I'm torn about moving it, but I need the money more than the guitar at the moment.

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 29 June 2004 at 06:19 PM.]

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 4:43 am    

Guys this guitar is worth a lot more than Rick is asking for it. History is one thing but the guitar has that tone and she's built to perfection. With the cleanup and restoration that Ricky put into it, she's a charmer if ever there was one. I did have the opportunity to sit down to her once it came back from Ricky D and what a moment in time that was. I know how much Rick wants to keep this guitar but I also know that she has to go.... ...I just hope she finds a good home soon.

Ray Walker

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 8:33 am    

Sale pending...

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 1:45 pm    

This one's sold.

Thanks to all who expressed interest!

You can lock it up, b0b. Thanks.

Rick