The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Treated cloth to wipe strings
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 9:31 pm    

A while ago these were being used by some players, I had one once & would like to try again! au

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 9:51 pm    

Al,

Blitz Cloth
Paul Franklin has them for sale. Madison, TN

Alan Kirk

Paso Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 7:16 am    

What is this cloth supposed to do? Clean the strings or make them slick?

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 8:47 am    

It's primarily for cleaning but will also tend to make them slicker.

I've been using them since the mid 80's, after Paul Franklin, Jr showed it to me. Paul said he got it from Sonny Garrish

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 13 February 2005 at 12:06 PM.]

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 11:09 am    

The Blitz Cloth was available at the PX when I was in the army. It was required that we all had one. Good for shinning brass and other metal.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 1:46 pm    

Some Army Surplus stores have them.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 2:09 pm    

...along a similar line, have any of you ever tried "Fast Fret" or stuff like that which guitarists use on their strings? If so, how is it for steel?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 2:33 pm    

Tried Finger-ease on regular guitar once which may or may not be similar to Fast Fret. Absolutely hated it and couldn't get it off fast enough. Feels like a silicone product-- has that dry slickness that I just despise. I don't imagine I'd like that feel on my bar either. I'd much sooner use a Red Raja if I want more bar slickness on the strings.

bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 3:27 am    

I have the Blitz cloths also...$6.50+1.50 S&H. I just put on a new set of strings last week...the old ones had been there for a year and a half. The cloth works...Bill

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 4:27 am    

I also suggest doing an internet search for > Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor < (VCI). It is a product used by MANY hi-tech machinery and parts shippers and stops corrosion in it's tracks by the accounts I've read about it. VCI is commonly impregnated into foam rubber, powder, plastic, plastic and paper wrapping, plastic and paper bags, rags and many other mediums ...and lasts a reasonably long time (like 1000 openings of a package / case). When put into a package ...such as a tool box or guitar case... it gives off a vapor that reacts with the surface molecules of metal and seals the metal from air and moisture. I plan to buy several mediums in bulk for the shop here ...just as soon as I can . I also think that a Blitz cloth would be a good supplement to VCI in a guitar case. Currently I use diapers for guitar case rags and occasionally spray them moderately with an Ace Hardware brand non-silicone petroleum-based aerosol lubricant that does not effect plastics / paint etc. (& so advertised on the can) ...(and then work it in so the rag is not wet). It comes in a yellow and black spray can with a red Ace logo. I have used allot of it for about 10 years and it works very well and hasn't harmed anything that I can tell (and I've looked closely) ...and allot of folks use it here because of the salt air and report the same results.

A guitar cloth should NEVER be wet with any kind of oil; If it feels wet, it's too wet. Oil should not be allowed to get into the screw holes in wood ... and a wet rag is a good way to get wet oil on a guitar which can migrate into the screw holes; Mushes the wood over time.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 14 February 2005 at 04:51 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 7:35 am    

I have used Fast Fret for years and love it. It makes the strings silkier and cuts down on bar noise. It also cleans the crud off the strings. If you don't believe it, you should see the wiping cloth that came with mine.
Erv

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 5:30 pm    

Erv, any concern about the fast fret stuff getting into the changer and gunking it up?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 7:09 pm    

Fast Fret isn't a spray. It is a solution that is loaded into an applicator that you rub on the strings. It stays on the strings and works real well.

David Spangler

Kerrville, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 10:25 pm    

Well, this may sound unorthodox but about 35 years ago, I discovered that Johnson Pledge is the best product for cleaning and polishing the guitar and cleaning and protecting the strings.

But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. I keep a cloth in my case and a can of Pledge and it really works.

------------------
David Spangler