The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 400 with Unusual Fret Markers.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 10:20 pm    

Hello, folks. I have a question for you Fender experts.

I recently saw a Fender 400 for sale with an unusual feature. The fret position indicators are multicolored, instead of the typical silver; the 3rd fret indicator is red, the 5th is blue, the 7th is green, the 9th is yellow, the 12th is white and then the pattern repeats starting on the 15th. The colored fret markers look very professionally done. The seller says it's a '60 model year, and it's features tend to confirm that. The body and pedal bar were professionally refinished in a custom color at some point, and the hardware all looks pristine. The seller also says that, aside from the wood finish, the guitar is all stock and original.

My question to you is; Could the multicolored fret position markers be an original custom ordered feature or is my assumption correct that the fretboard was either painted or replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 12:34 am    

I suppose anything is possible and if someone paid enough, fender might have made a custom fretboard by special order. However its much more likely the colored fretboard is simply a repainted OEM piece, or a custom made replacement put on the guitar years after it was built. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 2:56 pm    

Thanks for the reply Mr. Carlucci, that's what I thought as well.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 5:02 pm    

Were the markers the same design as the Fender markers, with the little triangles at each end on the octaves? I’ve never heard of or seen colored markers on a Fender steel, and it would be my guess that someone just masked and painted over the original ones.

Found this one on Reverb.com, obviously just paint over the original fretboard markers:

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 8:12 pm    

Yeah, it was the same as the factory design. I looked at it again, and now that I look closer, it would appear that the 12th and 24th fret markers are white for the rectangle portion, and the triangular ends are red. I asked the seller about the fret markers, I'll see what he says. Mr. Hinson, is the guitar you posted still available on Reverb?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 5:55 pm    

Daniel Flanigan wrote:
...Mr. Hinson, is the guitar you posted still available on Reverb?

I have no idea, I was just looking for colored markers on a Fender 400. (There was another that I found with painted markers too, when I was searching.) But obviously, such small details should be ignored if you're seriously looking for a 400, because there simply aren't a lot of these for sale or being used these days.

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 9:58 pm    

Well, the seller got back to me, and he said that it's the original fretboard, and the fret markers have colored tape on them. And Donny, you're right, the colored fret markers wouldn't bother me at all. Now, the color of the guitar is another story. The 400 in question is currently on Reverb, and it's been professionally refinished in light Shell Pink/lavender. Pretty ugly, if you ask me. Between the color and the fact that the seller's asking too much for it, I'm not really considering buying it, this was really just academic, I wanted to know if the colored fret markers was something Fender could've done. Thanks for the help Mr. Hinson, Mr. Carlucci.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 4:17 pm    

Well,

I found this one...

https://reverb.com/p/fender-400-pedal-steel-guitar?

And I never saw those frets being colored! Mine was the first 400; with the shinny Aluminum body. So, I suppose now, they changed the frets with color. And different ones too! Thus, I am believing; it was Fender manufactured.

C

Last edited by C Dixon on 14 May 2024 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 4:21 pm    

Mr. Dixon, that's the guitar I was asking about in my original post. It's pretty neat, but I think $1800 is way too much, especially when you factor in a mandatory refinish.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 4:31 pm    

Daniel,

I believe it's WAY high at $1,800.00. Because, you will see others way less. Hope you can get one like that. I will pray that you get the right one, Brethren..

C.

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 9:26 pm    

I agree, $1800 is insane. And the sad part is, as overpriced as that is, it's still the least expensive 400 on Reverb. Somewhere along the line people of Reverb decided that a Fender 400 is worth the same as an Emmons Push-Pull. I'm exaggerating, but only slightly. There are currently 5 Fender 400s for sale on Reverb, ranging from $1800 to $2199. Reverb is the single worst place to shop for a Fender pedal steel.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 4:22 am    

Insanity.. WHO is buying these things???.. Can't be players. Only thing I can think of is ""vintage guitar collectors"" with more money than brains, buying clean old Fender cable jobs because "vintage Fender"... I bought a 400 for like $375-I dunno, maybe $475 years ago, clean as a whistle.. Bought a few nice 800's again, clean and nice, Don't think I ever paid over about $700-800 or so.. Dr Dave got my best one, and I hope he still has it. Fender cable steels are good guitars, still playable and they sound beautiful... However they are heavy and ungainly, and are no where as user/player friendly as a modern steel... most players that buy them keep them home for nostalgia/fun/something different.. I cannot wrap my head around they prices I am seeing for them...
No one anywhere on the planets loves Fender pedal steels as much as I do.. That being said I would NEVER pay close to 2 k for any one of them regardless of what condition.. I would buy a more conventional more "modern" steel..... bob

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 5:48 am    

I dunno, Bob. For some, it's the misguided theory that if the buy the same guitar that Sneaky Pete used, that they would sound like Sneaky Pete. Laughing For others, it's just the cachet that comes with something old with "Fender" on it. And for some, like myself, I think it's the nostalgia. It's the same nostalgia that drives people these days to buy a 1929 Ford Model A, or a '64 Impala with a 283/2-barrel and a Powerglide. Of course, they're not anywhere as good or versatile as later models, but they'll still get you from A to B, and they'll also get looks and smiles from those who remember a simpler time, or looks of amazement and envy because they've never seen one up close, except in pictures.

If I was playing more modern music, I'd probably use one of my more modern guitars. But if someone said we were going to get together to play some old classic 1960's country, I just might take my old 400. And while I (or it) might not impress anyone, I'd still have a ball playing it. It's about making good music and having fun, and not about impressing some other steeler who might show up. Very Happy

This is the sound of a Fender 1000, and good old country music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWtj2dvLDbo

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 5:54 am    

Amen, amen and AMEN, You are right, Donny! Loved your link!

C.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 6:20 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
This is the sound of a Fender 1000, and good old country music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWtj2dvLDbo

The steel player on "Bye Bye Love - Johnny & Jack" is rather interesting...
According to PragueFrank:
27 March 1962 [14:15-17:15] Columbia Recording Studio, 804 16th Ave. South, Nashville, TN – Johnny and Jack (Johnny Wright, Jack Anglin, Grady Martin [gt], Bill Phillips [gt], Ray Edenton [gt], Shot Jackson [gt], Buddy Emmons [steel], Joseph Zinkan [bass], Buddy Harman [drums]. Producer: Owen Bradley)
177 112034/NA 11979 BYE BYE LOVE 31472/DL 74308 BCD-15553

- Dave

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 3:08 pm    

That's right, Dave! I talked to Buddy once about that cut and he admitted, almost sheepishly "Yeah...that was the Fender". (The one he purportedly left on a stage, kicked down a flight of steps, or threw out of a window. Laughing ) This was done just before he went with Ray Price, and here's another cut from that album, featuring Buddy on the Fender doing some rather "Mooney-esque" licks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4Tu13-KM4

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 3:59 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
That's right, Dave! I talked to Buddy once about that cut and he admitted, almost sheepishly "Yeah...that was the Fender". (The one he purportedly left on a stage, kicked down a flight of steps, or threw out of a window. Laughing ) This was done just before he went with Ray Price, and here's another cut from that album, featuring Buddy on the Fender doing some rather "Mooney-esque" licks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4Tu13-KM4

What a cool version of "Foolin' Around" by Johnny And Jack!
Buddy could certainly play in Mooney-esque style when he wanted to!

Many years ago, a steel-playing friend and I visited Nashville. One night we spotted Buddy in a country music dive bar wearing a T-shirt with a huge photo silk-screened on it of -- Ralph Mooney. Smile

- Dave

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 3:17 am    

That was great.. If I didn't know it was Buddy, I would have bet my life it was Moon... So many of the old country records from the very late 50's into the early 60's, had that sound.. A Fender pedal steel played in that staccato Moonyesque style, but by a few different players... Moon,Jay Macdonald, a fine player named Lew something or other, as well as another pro player from canada I saw a few times on old videos, can't recall names but remember well the playing and the Fender pedal guitars used ..

I could be wrong, but I thought Moon was doing it first..

Makes me wonder if guys heard the sound and style and copied it, or if the times, the style of guitar etc simply had several guys develop a similar sound at the same time... I thought Moon played a modified console steel of some type on a lot of those early records, and started using the Fender a little later on.. It doesn't matter. Its all great, and its a style and sound thats just not heard much anymore, but was a major influence on many if not most of us steel players... bob

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 8:55 am    

Bob Al Brisco has an old 400 and can make it talk think Mooney...or any others...

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 11:48 am    

Ralph Mooney bought his Fender pretty early, either in '58 or '59. Tom Brumley bought his in '63 or '64. Al Brisco said he bought his Fender 400 from Ken Davidson in 1964 for $350.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 12:56 pm    

David Rattray wrote:
Bob Al Brisco has an old 400 and can make it talk think Mooney...or any others...

I have heard him play that style on his Fender online several times.. he sounds great... bob

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 5:15 pm    

So, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. There's a guy on Reverb with a Long-Scale Fender 400. It appears to be in pretty good shape. He's asking an insane $2299 for it, so I made an offer of $675 just for fun. To my amazement, he made a counter offer of $1000. I feel like $1000 is still to much for it, but I'm kinda tempted. Mr. Carlucci, Mr. Hinson, what do you think? Do you see anything wrong with it that I missed, and would $1000 be an alright price for it?

Last edited by Daniel Flanigan on 20 May 2024 4:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 6:55 pm    

I bought one of the first Fender 400's in the 50's. And Ralph Mooney, created the hi G# to A. Thus, there was NO way; to stop breaking that string!. I tried every way. And then Fender, sent out rollers, instead of the round bar; under the 8 strings. Close to the changers,

And that helped a little bit. But not much. Then they said, "Go down to D instead of E. And THAT solved the breaking. But I didn't like to play it! So I sold it.

Here's the Photo...

Last edited by C Dixon on 19 May 2024 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 8:08 pm    

Boy, what a neat picture. Thanks for sharing it, Mr. Dixon.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 3:55 am    

The thanks "are" to you Brethren; for saying that. I'm humbled. And...

Take care, dear friend.

C.