The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Staggered floor pedals on a Sho~Bud?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 6:54 pm    

Actually a Fender Artist D10 but same as Super Pro mechanics.

The pedals have 2 positions for the pedal rod connection. I've been so busy setting up, straightening up, replacing and adding parts and fasteners that I just noticed all of the pedals are in the position nearest the pedal board except for the B pedal.

Just curious if anyone staggers the pedals like this or what would be the logic in the actual playing of the guitar. As I understand the geometry, moving the pedal away from the pedal rack decreases travel thus making the action stiffer and quicker?

Of course, I plan to move the B pedal forward in line soon with the rest of the pedals for trial, but interested in thoughts or experience.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 8:01 pm    

Put them where you get the best action when combined and without interference when rocking between single pedals. On my S10 ShoBud this was A and C pedal rods on the inner hole and the B pedal the outer. YMMV depending on footwear, ankle flexibility, and knee lever location.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 2:54 am    

I have definitely used these options to set up my own and client guitars. Mostly 2-hole swivel puller models with their limited leverage options.
Primary objectives usually involved the up & down pedal heights --- getting the A&B and B&C combinations to sit at-rest and to bottom out at a good-feeling relative level.
It was a really good day when I discovered the value of this adjustment.

Picture of me trying out the other position before risking breaking off a potentially frozen ball.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2024 8:34 pm    

The B pedal rod being closer to the pedal's pad would make the rod a toe catcher, Between the A and C pedals. When moving from A&B to C&B pedals and back, Especially with cowboy boots.

The idea would be good. If all E9th pedals was set up the same.
Good Luck in your project.