The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Iconic pedal steel
Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:36 am    

Thanks for humoring me. I appreciate the input.

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:53 am    

Quote:
Sleepwalk is to the non pedal steel as ________ is to the pedal steel.

"Teach Your Children" for the general public.

"Together Again" for those familiar with country music, but not familiar with the instrument.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 9:01 am    

Teach doesn’t fill the same bill that Sleepwalk does because it would still be a great song without the pedal steel. But it’s at the top of my list because everyone knows what song it is the instant they hear that opening lick.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 10:07 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Teach doesn’t fill the same bill that Sleepwalk does because it would still be a great song without the pedal steel. But it’s at the top of my list because everyone knows what song it is the instant they hear that opening lick.

"Fire on the Mountain" by Marshall Tucker Band. The steel makes that song.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 10:51 am    

Someone already nominated Gerry Rafferty's Right Down the Line", but Steeler's Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle With You" is a good simple, popular lap example.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 10:54 am    

I agree with you 100%, John Larson.
We’re steel players. We could give 100 examples where the pedal steel makes the song 😎

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 11:42 am    

I had intended to resist the temptation to participate but, as practice isn't going so well Sad , here are my favourites (out of the country mainstream).

Two tracks by Steely Dan really resonated with me just as I'd acquired my first steel. One was 'Pearl of the Quarter' and the other, the exquisite 'Razor Boy'.

Skunk Baxter played perfect steel parts on both songs.

PS: I don't think 'Sleepwalk' has a PSG counterpart. That was a once-in-a-generation fluke and a melody that spoke to the teen angst of the day, haunting, like '(Theme to) A Summer Place' with a similar poignancy.

There was some pretty good music around then.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 12:46 pm    

I've been stumped trying to think of songs with obvious knee lever changes as requested in the original post...

then I remembered that Tammy Wynette's D-I-V-O-R-C-E was the first to use the E>F raise, played by Lloyd Green.

it's also been said that Pete Drake would sometimes add a particular change on a song just to make it special. I don't know of any specific examples but perhaps his "iconic" intro and turnaround on Tammy's Apartment #9 was one? it's certainly unique and probably my favorite thing he ever did

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 1:19 pm    

scott murray wrote:

Pete Drake would sometimes add a particular change on a song just to make it special. I don't know of any specific examples but perhaps his "iconic" intro and turnaround on Tammy's Apartment #9 was one? it's certainly unique and probably my favorite thing he ever did

Apt. No. 9 is one of the most beautiful steel intros ever, absolutely gorgeous. His playing for Dylan, George Harrison, and David Allan Coe's 70s albums stands the test of time as well.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5