The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Iconic pedal steel
Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 6:32 am    

Doing a workshop at a festival next month and would like to focus on a few pedal steel passages that are recognizable to people who are not necessarily steel players. Kicks, solos, whatever etc. ideally at least one would be E9 and have a good amount of audible pedal/knee changes happening. I know what we think of when we think of pedal steel, but what do the non steel players think of when they think of pedal steel? Average age of participants in the workshop probably in the 50 to 60 year old range. Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 7:29 am    

I suppose in order for a steel guitar part to be considered “iconic”, the song that it’s in would also have to be easily recognized as a classic. That puts a lid on a lot of great and more intricate playing, but it makes the job easier.

Teach Your Children (Crosby Stills & Nash/Jerry Garcia on steel)
Someday Soon (Judy Collins/ Buddy Emmons steel)
Blue Bayou (Linda Ronstadt/ Dan Dugmore, steel)
Together Again (Buck Owens/ Tom Brumley, steel)
Lay Lady Lay (Bob Dylan/ Pete Drake, steel)
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (Gordon Lightfoot/ Peewee Charles, steel)
Heart Of Gold (Neil Young/ Ben Keith, steel)

There really is not much in the way of complicated pedal and lever work in any of these tunes, but the performance is tasteful and perfect for the song. Therein lies an important lesson for the workshop, I guess.

An honorable mention to Paul Franklin for his work with Dire Straits. While there is no single solo or kick that you can point to as instantly recognizable, the band is certainly iconic as were many of the tunes he played with them while touring and recording. I think he said he exposed the pedal steel to 5 million people around the world while touring with them.

Of course Country Music is loaded with the greatest steel players who’ve ever lived doing most of their greatest work on songs specific to that genre. You could fill a forum thread 10 pages long with iconic examples of that, if you wanted to go there.

You could also mention that Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin both began their professional careers in Detroit. I believe Paul was born there.

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 9:45 am    

Great list! I would add something from "All Things Must Pass."

Maybe?:

"Behind That Locked Door" (George Harrison/Pete Drake on steel)

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 10:28 am    

I agree with the above selections. Fred's point that it's most important that the song is widely known by 50- and 60-year folks in Detroit is what I would focus on.

From those who spent a lot of time growing up with rock radio (or later, classic rock radio) it would be impossible to miss "Teach," and the intro is particularly well known. Another big rock radio song back in the day was "Fire on the Mountain," -- but I think the steel playing is better on "Teach" and it's lasted longer in the public eye. "Heart of Gold" was the #1 song on the rock charts for 1972, but there's no steel solo, just accompaniment. A choice later in the timeline might be "The Bug" by Dire Straits.

And for those familiar with 60's country, "Together Again" is perfect; it's a really widely known song and it just nails what country pedal steel ballad-playing was all about in that era. "Don't Rock the Jukebox" is a good example of a later style and that song was pretty well known.

The beauty of "Blue Bayou" is that it cut across genres and might be the most recognizable tune mentioned in this thread.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 11:53 am    

Those are all great examples, to which I would add Elton John's "Tiny Dancer"

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 1:20 pm    

hey Joel!
you might include this one for the Detroit connection. I think it was Paul Franklin's first major session and a pretty big pop hit:
Nice To Be With You - Gallery

show em the derka lick while yer at it Winking

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 1:43 pm    

"Dire Wolf" by the Grateful Dead

Growing up my dad had a copy of Reckoning the early 80s live set of acoustic versions of Dead tunes it opens with a a variant of how the Dead usually played it sans pedal steel so I heard it in this configuration for many years before I heard the Workingman's Dead version. It quickly became one of my favorite Dead tunes along with "Ripple". Years later I started listening to their other music and albums, the first time I heard that pedal steel pickup I was sold, to me it's one of the few Dead tunes where the studio version is the definitive version due to Jerry's awesome pedal steel playing probably the best he ever did outside of New Riders of the Purple Sage.

To me that intro is a great example of a B+C pedals lick.

Lloyd Green on "You Ain't Goin Nowhere" and "Hickory Wind" off The Byrd's Sweetheart of the Rodeo

"Fire on the Mountain" by the Marshall Tucker Band
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Last edited by John Larson on 6 May 2024 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 4:15 pm     A couple that weren't mentioned...

"Six Feet Of Snow", by Little Feat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMeFHAaZ_gE
(Steel by Sneaky Pete Kleinow)

(The album version of) "Crimson and Clover", by Tommy James and the Shondells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGEeneO-t0
(Steel by Eddie Gray)

"Pride Of Cucamonga", by The Grateful Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si_T0tUzLNU
(Steel by John McPhee)

"Right Down The Line, by Jerry Rafferty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSfOB8ANdWU
(Steel by B.J. Cole)

"Afternoon Delight", by The Starland Vocal Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD8vSm_SDlM
(Steel by Danny Pendleton)

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 5:12 pm    

Guess I need to get out more, I’ve never heard any of those songs Donny.
I’d say , Once A Day- Connie Smith
1982, Randy Travis
Then And Only Then- Connie
Touch My Heart- Ray Price

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 5:08 am    

Henry, your picks are all old country songs, and that's fine! The ones I selected are (for the most part) 50 year-old rock songs, as I intentionally stayed away from country music in my choices. But since I sometimes forget how old I am, my choices may not be known to many people - especially those in the 50-60 age bracket, which was Joel's stated demographic.

Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 5:49 am    

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone! I have to admit to not having heard a good number of these selections, so I’ve got some listening to do. To clarify, the festival is a few hours north of Detroit, so Detroit connections may not be super relevant for participants and the demographic a little different from here in the city. Also, the workshop includes Hawaiian and lap steel and will hopefully illustrate the connections between and evolution of the instrument. Donny, I’d love to hear your country recommendations.

Dennis A Brown

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 6:50 am    

I don't know if this has been mentioned but how about Top of The World by the Carpenters, Buddy Emmons in the steel chair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupwAFMXLkA
Roland FA-06

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 7:04 am     Iconic steel

Probably one of the most recognizable renditions of all time was "Look At Us" sung by Vince Gill, but masterfully played by John Hughey.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 8:52 am    

Dennis A Brown wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned but how about Top of The World by the Carpenters, Buddy Emmons in the steel chair?

Red Rhodes played the intro/outro, Buddy was called in later to add all the fills

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 11:16 am    

You Ain’t Going Nowhere - The Byrds (Lloyd Green)
Christine’s Tune - Flying Burritos (Sneaky Pete)
Panama Red - New Riders of the Purple Sage (Buddy Cage)
Nightlife - Ray Price (Buddy Emmons)

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 5:35 pm    

Early 70s pop classic “It’s so nice to be with you” by one-hit-wonders Gallery. Always loved the steel solo (which basically follows the chorus melody)—and I just learned that it was (a very young) Paul Franklin!

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 5:49 pm    

Another 70s song I’ve always loved—not just for the steel part—is “Joanne” by Mike Nesmith’s First National Band. But Red Rhodes’ steel comes in strong and sings throughout the number. Nesmith’s only post-Monkees charted single. I’ll say it again: Red Rhodes!!

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 8:36 pm    

The obvious ones for me would look to the Dead and be Jerry's pedal steel on "Dire Wolf", John McFee's solo on "Pride of Cucamonga" and possibly Jerry's playing on "The Wheel". While simple, and able to be played easily on regular 6 string guitar, Jerry's pedal steel solo on "Candyman" is pretty iconic.

I'd also throw the solo from The Rolling Stones "Torn and Frayed" with Al Perkins into the mix. And while obscure 70's progressive rock, you could always throw in the pedal steel solo Steve Howe from Yes played on 1974's "To Be Over" Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 5:06 pm    

Hello Mary Lou by New Riders of the Purple Sage is remarkably well recognized by non steel people that I encounter. It may be my upstate NY location.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 7:17 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
Those are all great examples, to which I would add Elton John's "Tiny Dancer"

I'd also add "Your Song" by Elton.

Oops, I meant "Country Comfort." The one with the nice steel break.

Last edited by Bruce Derr on 8 May 2024 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 9:57 pm    

might be time to pack this one in, Joel Razz

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 10:26 pm    

Before you pack it in, check out this thread on the topic of great steel playing on classic country
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=337142

I knew this came up not too long ago.

Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 6:44 am    

scott murray wrote:
might be time to pack this one in, Joel Razz

Laughing Scott, I think you’re probably right! Just for fun, how about this. Sleepwalk is to the non pedal steel as ________ is to the pedal steel. Sleepwalk has a melody that many people of different musical backgrounds recognize, and I think people realize it’s being played on some kind of funky instrument even if they don’t know it’s a non pedal steel. I’m not sure an equivalent exists for the pedal steel. Maybe it’s an artifact of the pedal steel’s rise in popularity happening at the same time popular music moved away from instrumental tunes.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:16 am    

Quote:
Sleepwalk is to the non pedal steel as ________ is to the pedal steel.

Oh man…I think I’ll go jump off a bridge.
But all seriousness aside, there is nothing that can fill in that blank. And there probably never will be. Not just because instrumental music is no longer accepted by the flying fickle finger of fate that is the general public’s taste in music, either. Maybe the characteristics that give pedal steel it’s unique identity just do not fit into a simple pop melody. I am more than okay with that.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 8:18 am    

well, 4-Wheel Drive was Buddy Emmons' answer to Sleepwalk but it wasn't nearly as popular for some reason.

as far as the most recognizable, I'd go with Teach Your Children. Jerry wins again Winking