The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Small Parts For Build - Who Could Do This?
Ron Housley

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 5:10 pm    

Howdy -
I've begun the process of building my first Lap Steel Guitar.
Have purchased a nice piece of Walnut, and the guitar diagram plus CDC files.
I finally tracked down a CDC shop here in Iowa who will shape the guitar for me.

The color that I want to use for the small parts will be black.
But the Rukavina bridge & nut that I bought are natural aluminum and the Lollar String-Thru Steel pickup cover/top is silver.

So, would anyone know where/who I could get to do the following -

1. Anodize the bridge & nut black for me?

2. Make a black anodized aluminum cover for the pickup, similar to the one in the included image? It would just screw on with the original cover.

Thanks much,
Ron

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 4:25 am    

Look for a metal finishing company to do the anodizing. The rod that the string goes over looks to maybe be steel. It can't be anodized, but could be turned black with black oxide, black nickel, or black chrome.

Any machine shop can make the pickup cover. They could probably recommend a metal finishing company. Or, contact Barry Coker here on the forum. He is a machinist and could probably do the pickup cover.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Ron Housley

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 10:02 am    

Hey Richard, thanks for the advice.
I started looking online for a shop do do the anodizing, but noticed that many have a minimum order of like 1000 lbs, or $500 etc. I'm a little short of the 1000 lbs, and would hope to get this done for less than $500! Smile
I'll keep looking.

As for the PU cover, I'm going to get the Lollar String-Through PU first and remove the cover so it can be used as a pattern to get all of the holes positioned correctly. And I will then contact Barry Coker and see if he would be willing to make the cover.
But, I will also start checking on some machine shops in my area.

Thanks again,
Ron

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 12:03 pm    

Our Local local anodizing shop in Santa Rosa, CA. has a minimum fee that a job like yours would be charged. It used to be $80, but I'm sure its more now, certainly way under the $500 you mention.

Milner's Anodizing (707) 584-1188

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 1:12 pm    

Ross Shafer wrote:
Our Local local anodizing shop in Santa Rosa, CA. has a minimum fee that a job like yours would be charged. It used to be $80, but I'm sure its more now, certainly way under the $500 you mention.

Milner's Anodizing (707) 584-1188

I almost fell over when I saw the $500 minimum. They must be huge plants that specialize in big company accounts. There are smaller shops that will run smaller private jobs. I worked at Cal-Tech Metal Finishers in Oakland, now an EPA Superfund site. Can't tell you how many private jobs for car parts we did. We used to do work for Nady Systems, Furman Sound, Bartolini Pickups.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Ron Housley

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2024 3:10 pm    

Hey guys -
Appreciate your help!
I may have found a few shops in Omaha, Ne who can do what I need.
Your advice pointed me in the right direction!

Gettin' closer to starting this project.
Should be an interesting experience. Smile

Ron