The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mid shift pedal?
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 10:35 am    

Maybe a dumb question but, is there such a thing as a mid shift effects pedal? As in, a pedal you can use to get that frequency shift on an amp that doesn’t have a built-in mid shift control?

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 11:38 am    

My understanding is a mid shift is simply a selectable active equalizer. The mid shift selects the center frequency and the active equalizer either emphasizes or decreases those frequencies. Any active EQ pedal should accomplish this. Ideally one with a very low noise floor. Something like a JHS Haunting Mids would probably do the job.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 12:12 pm    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=400323

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 3:34 pm    

MXR M81 is close to a Session 400. It also adds no noise.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 5:54 am    

There are two ways to get a mid-shift in a stomp box. One is with a graphic EQ pedal, and the other is with a parametric EQ pedal. (The parametric is far easier to use, but the graphic gives more control and flexibility.)

Whichever one you choose, there are tons of them out there; just google "parametric EQ pedal", or "graphic EQ pedal".

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 7:15 am    

Thanks folks this all helps!

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 2:29 pm    

for a mid shift, especially one that gets to the honk frequency we're all trying to zap, you need a high quality parametric eq.

most eq pedals introduce noise, so a high quality pedal is important.

i use an empress paraEQ. it is noiseless and offers three sweepable eq points, adjustable Q and some shelving options. it works great.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2024 3:47 pm    

I'll second the MXR M81. Sounds like it's just what you are looking for. I use it for direct recording and I like it quite a bit.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 11:58 am    

This one is ideal for the purpose of a very surgical and tweak able midrange dip.

http://artecsound.com/effect/se-peq.htm

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 1:07 pm    

Yes, the Artec looks like it would be perfect for everyone to tweak any amp. Plus, the width knob! After years of playing steel, the midrange frequency control has always been my go to knob for dialing in the tone I'm looking for. Some amps didn't have the exact mid frequency and I could get CLOSE. Being able to select the exact frequency is important. Then tweaking the width is like a very fine and detailed result. I could always get by with 50 to 80hz on the bass control and around 3000 to 6000hz on treble. Presence, I can take it or leave it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 7 May 2024 9:22 pm    

I'm drawn to the Empress Para-EQ MkII Deluxe, but this one from TC looks capable and quite interesting, and not that expensive either (menu&screen based though, which is a bit of a turn-off):

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=0815-AAX

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 3:30 am    

I don't remember why I chose this WMD over the Empress. I'm seeing them on Reverb for reasonable numbers. I may go back to some explorations with this. It's always a battle of real estate on the pedal board. I much prefer the graphic layout of the Empress over this bare-bones WMD.
I've also got an old Boss PQ-4 that has everything I'd need but is a bit noisy (hiss).

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 1:49 pm    

I have used this unit to tame solid state PSG amps for using a 6 string guitar and PSG dual channel setup.

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/q-strip/