The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Outdoor venues, heat/sunshine, intonation
Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 11:02 am    

I guess we are lucky- the 3 or 4 we played last year,had good shade,or were either a sundown start...
However ,we have one coming Memorial Day weekend,with another group,on a floating dock ,mid- day.
Supposedly there will be canopies....

Dean Smith

DFW, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 11:04 am    

While it may be a distinction without a difference, dusty conditions also get my attention like cooking in the Texas sun.

In the late 1990's I played with a couple bands who were invited to do sets at the Terlingua Chili Cookoff in deep southwest Texas. Essentially, we are playing on a stage in the middle of an unpaved campground area. The wind and dust was incredible!

When I returned home, I took my guitar to Steve Lamb in Fort Worth for a setup redo and cleaning. I had this mind numbing feeling that each time I pushed a pedal or knee lever that dirt was being ground into the fingers.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 1:13 pm    

I used to do the gig at the Medora Musical right in the Badlands. It's spectacular scenery but dust is everywhere.

My Emmons would remain set up on a moving bandstand in the centre of the main stage. Although the band's covered gazebo would be thoroughly shrouded and padlocked at night, the dust always found a way inside.

The heat could be almost intolerable but not as intolerable as the damp, cold nights at the start and finish of the season. My guitar was subjected to unbelievable extremes of temperature and I'm willing to bet that, despite the overhaul it would get as I passed through Nashville on my way home every September, there's still a fair amount of North Dakota in the changer now.

I did thirteen Summers on that gig and retired from the show after I'd done the 2017 season. We figured out that I'd played about 1250 performances. There were some enjoyable times but I'm glad that the repetition of a hundred shows in a row is behand me.

So is my Emmons. Smile

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 9:29 pm    

When you play steel in a band, Every gig is like stepping in the unknown when you go to setup.

When I played steel for Dick Rutan, He got a birthday gig. The band set up in the lawn. My seat legs went in the ground, The front legs of my steel went into ground, Pedals would not work. Had to round up some jar lids for coasters to put under my seat and steel so they would not sink in the ground. I was like a cat in a room of rocking chairs for the whole gig. I keep a 3/4"X 4'X 4' piece of plywood for lawns or gravel parking areas now.
When playing outside Electric can be a problem also. Heavy Wire extension chords can be a must also. I carry a 25ft. 12/3 extension chord all the time. If going to an unknown gig. I throw 2 more heavy chords in my car. I see now they have a cover plate for a double box with a hole for a GFCI outlet and a regular outlet, That is my next project to add to my gigging equipment.

Check an outdoor stage close for Sun direction, Before setting your guitar up. Be sure to set up on East or North side of stage so evening sun will not be on you and your steel.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 7:28 am    

I set up for an outdoor get together at a nursing home.
I must have set up right over the power cable coming into the place.
You talk about a hum! This set a new record. Whoa!
Erv

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 8:23 am     psg in space

After reading all these experiences with ourdoor gigs I had a thought come through my empty brain.

Wonder if the lack of atmosphere would affect psg playing.

Wondering if we could convince NASA to experiment with this and report back to us. This may not be relevent to us today BUT what about our great grandkids? Who knows maybe we learn something about out door gigging control.

NO I'M NOT SERIOUS
Sam

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 8:50 am    

Sam, haha.
I have small springs down at the pedals that counter the pedal/rod weight. Certainly not needed in zero gravity. Other than having to strap yourself and your guitar down, I think it would be fine.
"Ground control to steeler Tom".

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 5:57 am     Re: psg in space

Samuel Phillippe wrote:
After reading all these experiences with ourdoor gigs I had a thought come through my empty brain.

Sam

It might be tough on your bar hand! You'd have to push it down since you wouldn't have the benefit of gravity. Also, you'd only be allowed to play cosmic country...

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 10:17 am     Re: psg in space

Andrew Goulet wrote:
Samuel Phillippe wrote:

Sam

It might be tough on your bar hand! You'd have to push it down since you wouldn't have the benefit of gravity. Also, you'd only be allowed to play cosmic country...

Andrew, you may be correct regarding the bar BUT if the bar floats wouldn't the psg float to meet it?
Just asking.....have fun
Sam

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 12:23 pm     Re: psg in space

Samuel Phillippe wrote:
Andrew Goulet wrote:
Samuel Phillippe wrote:

Sam

Andrew, you may be correct regarding the bar BUT if the bar floats wouldn't the psg float to meet it?
Just asking.....have fun
Sam

You could play, but no atmosphere = no sound. Space is a vacuum. You would make sound in an artificial atmosphere, something pressurized like the ISS.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 11:22 am    

Personally, I refuse to play outdoors anymore.Not only do I have trouble keeping my steel in tune while out doors, but it's also hard on the instrument.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 12:12 pm    

I really dislike outdoor gigs. They're so unpredictable. Too hot, too cold, possible rain during the gig seems to be the norm.
Unfortunately, the bands I play with have half the gigs outside during our season, which, is spring to fall. One year, I played some Saturday night rodeos and was subject to dust and dewy night air.
The other thing is, that, you can't control your sound to your liking. Even if you're miked to a sound system, you're at the mercy of the sound man, who, may or may not know the correct mix of the band. However, it's what I've got to play with at this stage of my life, so, I'll make the most of it. I'm just glad to be playing.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 1:01 pm    

To me, there's just a different standard for how a band sounds outside, so there's not much use in comparing the two scenarios. The sound is not going to be as good as if that same band were inside, but it can be ok (or very terrible).

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 May 2024 12:22 pm    

We played an outdoor gig last night. It was a fundraiser for a local non-profit. The host has a large, lovely home in a rural, upscale location. Only a 30 minute drive for me.

We needed to be set up by around 5:30. We set up on an asphalt driveway, which overlooks a very large, grassy yard. On the other side of the yard is a beautiful little lake. Very nice.

Well, it can be nice. We've played there before. Yesterday, during set up, the temperature was in the 90s. Humidity over 70%. No shade. Our equipment was baking in the sun. (So were we!)

We didn't start playing until all the speeches and live auction took place. Around 8:30. Sound was terrible. Instruments were out of tune. We actually took a short break, just to re-tune.

Then the flying insects started moving in, because of the lights. Most were flying beetles (June bugs) banging in to our faces, neck, arms. Harmless, but very annoying.

I saw our lead singer trying to sing and swat away a critter that had hit him in the neck. No June bug this time. It was a cockroach. The cockroaches decided to get in on the fun.

At one point, while I was playing, I noticed something moving, in front of my steel guitar. It was a large, hairy spider, about an inch and a half across (including legs).

Apparently, he had come under my seat, between my feet, and out in front, for a better view. Now, I'm trying to keep one eye on the fret board and the other eye on the large, hairy spider.

He kept moving around and I wanted to make sure he wasn't coming back my direction. The spider was way more distracting than the flying insects.

Then...I glanced up...and it was nowhere to be seen...

Shocked

The only thing worse than having a large, hairy spider parading around right in front of your guitar....is having the large, hairy spider disappear.

Whoa!

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2024 2:16 pm    

I have gotten a sunburn on the underside of my chin from playing dobro in the sun on a hot day. Our steel player uses a canopy.

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 4 May 2024 10:13 am    

Slightly different take.

Half of my gigs are outdoors this time of year which I prefer but the challenges are different. Most of these venues have a permanent outdoor stage with a roof and usually enclosed back and sometimes sides. This makes a huge difference in solar loading and helps if wind/rain pops up. These places will postpone the gig if the weather is bad.

Our band plays loud. Too loud for me when we are indoors, but not a problem outside. I record most every gig with a pair of mics and the outdoor recordings sound a lot better.

The dodgy outdoor situations that I have been involved with through the years are typically where someone wants a band but has little/no experience hiring or hosting one. It's not obvious that we need a flat, level, solid surface to set up on, as well as those challenges already mentioned in this thread. Often they will have no "Plan B" if rain is possible and just hope for the best.

I'm not the band leader and do not book the bands I play with, but last month I did book us as a favor for a family member. This was a corporate "grand opening" where they decided it would be a good to have a band but no clue what was involved. Fortunately I knew this up front and was able to mitigate most potential pitfalls ahead of time. The organizer listened and was receptive to our needs so that went well. The event was on a large paved parking lot, no shelter. There were several vendors as well as the band around the perimeter. It had rained that morning and was windy with a chance of more pop up showers. we decided to go through with it but came prepared with tarps and large trash bags to drape over equipment. As it turned out the rain was not a problem. The wind toppled a couple of vendor "EZ ups" and blew my set list away but it could have been worse.

One last point... Pay. We don't typically do contracts, and didn't for this event but we had a clear agreement up front about weather. They had no Plan B. The gig was about an hour away from home and forecast was "iffy" so:
a) Either party could cancel without penalty if it's obviously going to be a wash-out rain day from the git go.
b) Once we leave home for the gig, we will arrive and get paid half if the weather prevents set-up.
c) Once the setup/performance starts, we get paid in full even if we have to stop for any reason outside of our control (weather, power, noise complaints etc.)

In the end, the event was a success and everyone involved (including the corporate overseers) were happy. The only "damage" was the drummers rug was laid on top of a small puddle in the asphalt and the water soaked through. Lesson learned.