The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker B6 1935 Pristine collector quality
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 3:49 pm    

Rickenbacker B6 1935 serial # C702
Pristine collector quality, the case still with the Rickenbacker ribbon intact.
£2,000 +S&H Located in the United Kingdom

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 1:16 pm    

Belonged to the late Rod King, who lavished loving care upon it.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 4:49 pm    

Hi basilh,

With NO disrespect atoll Sir...but your "1935" Patent; can't be! Because the Rickenbacker's did not get their Patent; until or over August 10, 1937; a proof is; the book Rickenbacker on page 19.

And again, no disrespect towards you Basilh. I would Love to buy that beautiful; but it does not meet me budget. I hope you sell it soon. For it's the greatest Laptop, ever!

C.

Fish

Post  Posted 27 May 2024 10:54 am    

This guitar is beautiful!

Let me first say I am no expert, and I certainly don’t have an explanation for the patent number on the pickup. What I do know is that I have this same guitar — serial number C 747 — and collector Dirk Vogel saw it and told me this about mine: he very carefully said “we think” that because my steel has only one knob, has strings that go through the body, and has a nameplate with Rickenbacher spelled “CH,” that my guitar was likely made in 1935 or earlier.

To add to the confusion, my pickup only says “Pat. Pend.”

I will say that I was lucky to find mine. It has a spectacular tone; I’ve never been able to top it with any other lap steel. I never have to struggle for a sound with this instrument, it’s just that good. I’m lucky to have found it, and I will hold onto it forever.

Good luck with the sale and cheers to one and all!

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 11:59 am    

C Dixon wrote:
Hi basilh,

With NO disrespect atoll Sir...but your "1935" Patent; can't be! Because the Rickenbacker's did not get their Patent; until or over August 10, 1937; a proof is; the book Rickenbacker on page 19.

And again, no disrespect towards you Basilh. I would Love to buy that beautiful; but it does not meet me budget. I hope you sell it soon. For it's the greatest Laptop, ever!

C.

I'm afraid Carl Dixon did indeed catch an odd detail.

However, in my opinion, the guitar definitely IS a PRE-WW2 MODEL of the earliest vintage (first 2 production years):

The body (which changed in the war days) IS PRE-WW2 and the the pickup with and very thick horseshoes as well as the presence of only one control (originally volume) and the shape of the control knob all not only suggest PRE 1937 but of the first 2 production years (1933/4 and 1935).

Carl Dixon is absolutely right, the EARS which hold the pickup on both sides do indeed NOT belong on this guitar as the "Pat. Pending" appeared until Aug. 1937 after which they were replaced with the Patent number.
They seem to have been replaced.

Now, Rickenbacher also was known to have put out guitars assembled from old stock parts during WWII time shortages. Yet on this one, the only "odd" parts are these ears, and I seriously doubt they would have put together a near perfect "old" one when newer ones had tone AND volume control and the plug not in the inconvenient rear facing position. We have seen some "Frankenbachers" in the B10 and some B8 segement. A near perfect pre-War would be a first, yet not totally impossible but highly unlikely.
The Pre-WWII body shape and composition was given up in 1940/41 due to excessive production breakage, because the formula was too brittle (quality which is credited to the superior tone the original ones are famous for). I doubt that many would have been left over after 1939.

So, IF I would be in the market for a B6, I would buy this one without reticence! Even thou the fitting (non-Pat. number) pickup ears may take years to find.

Here's a link to a historical review "some guy" posted on the internet a 1/4 century ago Rolling Eyes

https://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269956

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 1:43 pm    

Thanks dear friends Carl, Fish and JD, This guitar is obviously 45 guitars earlier in the Rickenbacker 1935 production line than the one Fish has; the ears were obviously replaced but the serial number and single control knob give the year some credibility. As for the finish of the metalwork it possibly has been re-chromed and that's where the problematical ears appear to have joined the guitar, possibly because the original ones were beyond help 'maybe'..
Nevertheless, it was Rod King's pride and joy and it deserves to be loved and played.

Actually as a sign of how the guitar has been cared for is the existence of the ribbon in the case, something that would easily have got lost had the guitar been regularly gigged.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 5:23 pm    

Fish wrote:
This guitar is beautiful!

Let me first say I am no expert, and I certainly don’t have an explanation for the patent number on the pickup. What I do know is that I have this same guitar — serial number C 747 — and collector Dirk Vogel saw it and told me this about mine: he very carefully said “we think” that because my steel has only one knob, has strings that go through the body, and has a nameplate with Rickenbacher spelled “CH,” that my guitar was likely made in 1935 or earlier.

To add to the confusion, my pickup only says “Pat. Pend.”

I will say that I was lucky to find mine. It has a spectacular tone; I’ve never been able to top it with any other lap steel. I never have to struggle for a sound with this instrument, it’s just that good. I’m lucky to have found it, and I will hold onto it forever.

Good luck with the sale and cheers to one and all!

Yes Sir Fish.

All bakelite Guitars with a "Pat. Pend" Whoa! ; were made before August 10, 1937. And All made Bakelite's; that are on/or over August 10, 1937; have a Patent number of "2,089,191". In the Book of Rickenbacher; it makes that very clear Exclamation . So, the patent, from Washington BC, is here...

Please read below; the patent first Whoa! ! Then the patent its self Exclamation ! Now, thanks ALL Folks, and Praise Jesus, dear friends Very Happy ...

C.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2024 5:31 pm     J D Sauser

He friend JD,

Glad to see you dear Friend.. I just made a Post about the Washington BC Patent. Now, there is a "story' about that. So I will post it now.

Look for it. Take care Friend and; for others Whoa! Smile Laughing Rolling Eyes .

C.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 3:30 am    

Further to the guitar being discussed, I didn't know until I read the page on http://www.guitarhq.com/rick.html that the white outlined frets were introduced in 1938..

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 5:41 am    

basilh wrote:
Further to the guitar being discussed, I didn't know until I read the page on http://www.guitarhq.com/rick.html that the white outlined frets were introduced in 1938..

As far as I got to know a quarter century ago, the new formula and also new body shape was introduced 1940. I don't know that any had been available by 1938.
1937 marks the introduction of 7 strings (courtesy of Jerry Byrd) and tone AND volume controls... all on the original bakelite body and neck in the original more brittle formula.

The new formula not only introduced "outlined" frets but ALL new neck and body in from a NEW mold. The shape is similar but NOT the same. They are also more glossy for the added resin content which made them less brittle. The finis is much better too.
The neck has a different shape underneath and also a steel rod IN the bakelite (which the old ones did not have).

Their Spanish guitar was problematic as the thinner longer necks soon gained fame for braking. Not too many survivors left of those. But it also did NOT catch on as the steel guitars. Too heavy, too cumbersome and too delicate, besides, the "frets" which were merely bakelite wore off.

I have two B10's with the cast aluminum body I still play. All B10 I have ever seen had the wartime on up body (new formula and shape). Still those are my best sounding steels besides my prewar B7 (from Wayne Tanner) and a B6 I bought up a long time ago as well as my early Frypan.
The suitcase amps sounded great too. I got a Frypan amp and a metal war-time B-amp. Both work and sound amazing.

I hope Basil's B6 finds a loving home.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 6:14 am    

Awesome dear friend. Wow! Even more about the greatest Laptop Steel Guitar forever. And I remember, you had a 10 string bakelite Rickenbacher, in a hotel. With your Gorgeous wife. WOW! And she got me from the plane in Chicago to the hotel in another town. Wow! Time runs fast. Thanks for the info Laughing Rolling Eyes

JD please take care...and may Jesus bless you and yours, Always! Amen!

C.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 29 May 2024 11:28 pm    

C Dixon wrote:
Awesome dear friend. Wow! Even more about the greatest Laptop Steel Guitar forever. And I remember, you had a 10 string bakelite Rickenbacher, in a hotel. With your Gorgeous wife. WOW! And she got me from the plane in Chicago to the hotel in another town. Wow! Time runs fast. Thanks for the info Laughing Rolling Eyes

C.

The thing is, at over 90 YOUNG, you still remember what we did 24 years ago, when we both were just “kids”!
I remeber that Joliet, IL HSGA show well, we all had great hopes Jerry Byrd migt surprise us one more time. He couldn’t.
Little did I know that it was goin to be the last steel guitar show I ever went to.
I hope to go to the Dallas show next Spring.

Thanks Carl for this by now almost 3 Decades long unwavering friendship.

Folks, this man who started into steel guitar in times most of us only read about in history books and started playing off a door to door saleman’s course, appeard in my life “out of the blue” defending my right to speak, when I was just a recenttly imigrated young man “We fought for that right, for everybody having free speech!”.
A lesson on Americanism I will not forget for as long as I shall be blessed with the memory Carl evidently is. He’s been in my corner then, and I have only tried to be reciprocal.

Thanks and my apologies to Basil for beleaguering his 4-Sale post!
Somebody now please buy that B6 so, I don’t fall into a sudden urge!… JD.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2024 4:54 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
C Dixon wrote:

C.

The thing is, at over 90 YOUNG, you still remember what we did 24 years ago, when we both were just “kids”!
I remeber that Joliet, IL HSGA show well, we all had great hopes Jerry Byrd migt surprise us one more time. He couldn’t.
Little did I know that it was goin to be the last steel guitar show I ever went to.
I hope to go to the Dallas show next Spring.

Thanks Carl for this by now almost 3 Decades long unwavering friendship.

Folks, this man who started into steel guitar in times most of us only read about in history books and started playing off a door to door saleman’s course, appeard in my life “out of the blue” defending my right to speak, when I was just a recenttly imigrated young man “We fought for that right, for everybody having free speech!”.
A lesson on Americanism I will not forget for as long as I shall be blessed with the memory Carl evidently is. He’s been in my corner then, and I have only tried to be reciprocal.

Thanks and my apologies to Basil for beleaguering his 4-Sale post!
Somebody now please buy that B6 so, I don’t fall into a sudden urge!… JD.

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

C.