The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to shorten Carter legs
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 12:54 pm    

Can someone please explain how to get the screw end out of the leg so as to shorten it and reinsert the screw end. Many thanks

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 12:56 pm    

Never done it personally but chatter around here says use a long dowel, piece of rebar or something that's long enough and fits inside the leg and tap it out wit a hammer.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 12:59 pm    

Thank you Jerry, that sound good, but how do I secure the leg without scratching it while belting the rebar with the hammer. Any ideas

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 1:08 pm    

You should be able to just hold it in your other hand. It should drive out reasonably easy.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 1:14 pm    

Thank you Jerry. Wil try that tomorrow

TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 4:27 pm    

Some good replies here. Depending on how much you take off the legs, you may have to shorten the pedal rods also.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=323490&sid=10991cb312fa51827ae3f8b07fe31e78

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 9:13 pm    

Yes, just be careful of fingers. Don't want to mash any. Hopefully your rod, dowel whatever you're using will not be any longer than necessary to punch out the plug as holding and hitting can be awkward with a tube that long.

The plug is a swaged or knurled fit in the leg tube. They can be tight fit I suppose, but my limited experience has been they come out without too much fight. Might want to catch the plug in some rags, sponges, upholstery foam or something soft to avoid dinging the threads as it may come out with some force.

Some players like to use JB Weld when installing the plugs, so if that's been done, it might be a little tougher.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2024 2:27 am    

Thank you Jerry. Would a 1/2 “ rod from ace hardware be okay to use? Thank you

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 5:09 am    

Should be sufficient. Here some good ideas.
colin mcintosh wrote:
I needed to do the same with my steel. Buy a tube cutter, the type plumbers use. It will do a neat professional job.
As far as knocking the insert out, I used a long socket extension bar but any bar or pipe will do. The trick is to hold the leg in one hand and hammer the insert out. This saves any damage to the leg from trying to clamp it.
When reinstalling the insert,place the threaded end of the leg on a piece of pine 2x4" and a 1/2" drive socket large enough to fit over the threaded end of the insert so that the face of the socket sits on the flange of the insert and hammer away.
Clear as mud.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 7:31 am    

Brian Henry wrote:
Thank you Jerry. Would a 1/2 “ rod from ace hardware be okay to use? Thank you

I've done it with my Carter legs. A 1/2" rod should be fine. You may not even need a hammer. Just hold the leg in one hand and drop the rod from about a foot. After a couple of times you'll see the plug starting to come out. If not, just tap it with a hammer.

If I remember right I just dropped a dowel in and used the lower part of the leg to hammer it out.

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 7:57 am    

I shortened the front legs on my Zum and had to heat the tube around the plug with a propane torch then used a 1/2" piece of rebar to pound it out, it was very stubborn. I would also recommend using a tubing cutter to cut it so the cut will be perfectly even. You will need to use a round file to file the inside of the tube after cutting. I also had to cut and re-thread the pedal rods. Hopefully the plugs on yours will pop out much easier...........Marty

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2024 8:01 am    

Thank you Marty. Does the propane torch affect the chrome. Mine seem very stubborn’

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 8:22 am    

Something I failed to mention....if you have an anvil, piece of steel or some concrete slab, try banging it with the rod on that instead of hammering from the other end. Might be more effective.

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 8:38 am    

No, it did not discolor the chrome at all, it didn't require a lot of heat. Have your rod in the tube ready to knock it out before it cools though. I also cut off the interior tube a couple of inches. When you reinsert the plugs, make sure you put the opposite end of the tube down on a piece of wood before hammering the plug back in to prevent damage to the fine threads, and make sure you protect the threads of the plug with a piece of hardwood or aluminum before hitting it with a hammer........Marty

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2024 8:55 am    

Thank you Marty and Jerry and you all for the excellent advice. I’m getting a tube cutter on Friday and will let you know how it pans out.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2024 10:01 am    

Thank you guys again for all your help. I have a propane torch and heated the ends up for less than a minute and then used the rebar. They came out easily and I have cleaned off the old glue. Like I said I will be getting a pipe cutter on Friday.

After I have shortened the legs and filed them will it be hard to get the studs back in. Also what’s the best glue to use. I have already got the pedal rods shortened and threads cut. Thank you so much

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 10:22 am    

There wasn't any type of glue in mine, the plugs fit very tight so you just need to gently get them started by tapping them in and once they are solidly in the tube you can pound them the rest of the way. It wasn't difficult at all........Marty

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 11:55 am    

I didn't have any adhesive on mine either. To replace the plugs I stood the leg on a piece of wood and tapped the plug into alignment with a piece of 2x4. Then hammered it in with the 2x4 held on top to prevent damage to the screw.