The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire (B11th)
Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 11:10 am    

After some experimenting, I ended up making my first video, featuring the instruments I can play... some better than others Embarassed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItvQxdFZnk

The tuning is:
E
C#
A
F#
D#
C#
A
B
I like this B11th a lot, and prefer it to others because it leans more into the A6th side.
I often see B11th referred to as a dual tuning, with a B9th side and an A6th side, but I look at it as a triple tuning: the middle 6 strings here are F#min6th.
I've found that that makes for more versatility when playing block chords in comparison to, for instance, the 8 string B11th spelled EC#AF#D#BF#B.
That tuning, while sounding great definitely has a less jazzy, more major/powerchord sound resulting from the expanded B side.

The electric instruments are recorded direct with a Milkman The Amp 50.

It is not perfect at all but it was a lot of fun to throw this together Very Happy
I look forward to making more, my other two tunings are:
E C# G# F# D B G# E - Noel Boggs/Jules Ah See E13th
F# E D B A F# E C - Ray Noren D13th (the bottom 6 strings are like the top 6 of McAuliffe E13th but in D, then there is another 9th and 3rd on top that. So in a way it is halfway between E13th and C6th)

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 5:03 am    

That was gorgeous Joe! What no vibes??? I am disappointed. Very Happy Seriously though beautiful arrangement I look forward to seeing more! I am jealous of your crazy talents. 2 questions though, you play bass right handed and standard guitar left handed? Was that a baritone guitar ? Looked like a very long scale. Lovely voicings on that. I see you also have the Mel Bay Masters of the Plectrum guitar. All I have done with mine is try one arrangement, then cry.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 5:23 am    

Very nice job Joe........WOW....you are just a young pup....and listening to the Ink Spots. That was actually my first album.....my Mom liked them and thought I would as well. That was in 1960??? Once the Beach Boys came out, the Spots LP was pretty far down on the pile.

John Keefe

New York City, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 7:37 am    

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sharing. What a great rendition. I have always loved that song, and this version would have brought my mother to tears. Inspiring.

John Keefe
New York City

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 9:30 am    

Nicely done all around, but playing bass and baritone both left and right handed is eye popping!

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 11:21 am    

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

The guitar is actually the same length as a Les Paul (24.75"). My idea when I specced it out was to have a Fenderized ES335, moreso than a Starcaster.
One cool thing, besides the great vibrato system, about Fender offset guitars is that the neck sticks out more so you have easier upper fret access, so that makes it look long.
On this guitar look how much room is behind the bridge before the end of the guitar, A telecaster is less than half that I think.
Also, this has a 23 fret neck, and I wear it high on a strap so that makes it look longer too.
I do love baritone guitar though maybe someday... I always play in drop D tuning, and on this blue guitar I have .014-.055 TI flatwounds, so I am a sucker for those low thick sounds.

As for the bass, I have always been a bit ambidextrous but I started left handed with guitar, and at one point I had some really bad right (fretting) elbow pain.
I had to lay off playing, but it was really grating to not be able to play so I picked up some bass, playing the other way so my elbow could rest (before I got into steel guitar).
Weird for a few days, but it stuck once my muscle memory started to catch up with my brain, and I got a really good deal on this green G&L fiver, a nice, solid American made instrument and that sealed the deal...

Tim Toberer wrote:
That was gorgeous Joe! What no vibes??? I am disappointed. Very Happy Seriously though beautiful arrangement I look forward to seeing more! I am jealous of your crazy talents. 2 questions though, you play bass right handed and standard guitar left handed? Was that a baritone guitar ? Looked like a very long scale. Lovely voicings on that. I see you also have the Mel Bay Masters of the Plectrum guitar. All I have done with mine is try one arrangement, then cry.

I've actually been looking out for a set of vibes... Winking
That Mel Bay book is such a great resource, I play out of it all the time.
I feel you, it is tough for sure, I played the first song in that book, Harry Volpe's "Midnight Clear" almost everyday for a few months before I could begin to play it smoothly and in rhythm.
There are a lot of cool pieces in there that not on youtube, or even seem to have ever been recorded, especially some of the duets in the back...

Anyway, I tried to transcribe the guitar intro from the beginning and the solo for you if you want to check out some of those voicings, some of the rhythms might be a bit wack but I think the notes should be right...
I'll try to write out the steel parts too when I get some time.

Thanks again,
Joe

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 11:37 am    

Fantastic Joe. That is great entertainment very well done. Smile

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 12:03 pm    

Won't lie, made me think of Fallout! I'd been tinkering with the song occasionally in C6... Nice job!

Sherwood Everhart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 4:06 pm    

Well done, Joe. You had me at the intro with the vintage tones. I like your style !!!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 5:39 am    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:

I've actually been looking out for a set of vibes... Winking
That Mel Bay book is such a great resource, I play out of it all the time.
I feel you, it is tough for sure, I played the first song in that book, Harry Volpe's "Midnight Clear" almost everyday for a few months before I could begin to play it smoothly and in rhythm.
There are a lot of cool pieces in there that not on youtube, or even seem to have ever been recorded, especially some of the duets in the back...

Anyway, I tried to transcribe the guitar intro from the beginning and the solo for you if you want to check out some of those voicings, some of the rhythms might be a bit wack but I think the notes should be right...
I'll try to write out the steel parts too when I get some time.

Thanks again,
Joe

Wow, I really appreciate that! I will print those off and give it a whirl. I love these slower expressive tunes, I have been getting into a lot of these early jazz influenced vocal groups. They are an excellent source of inspiration for standard and steel guitar arrangements. Lately I am really into early Nat King Cole and the Cats and the Fiddle.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 6:19 am    

Tim, do you happen to be familiar with this CD? It is a collection of sophisticated, late 40s Hawaiian 78s:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nyQytqquZixAg_FhAkgy08O5eUVmmn2sA

Some obvious Ink Spots influence here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmrgEBSh4Hs&list=OLAK5uy_nyQytqquZixAg_FhAkgy08O5eUVmmn2sA&index=4&pp=8AUB

Here you can hear Richard Kauhi, a brilliant, very Nat Cole influenced pianist, quoting the intro to The Cats and the Fiddle “I Miss You So”:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXftmAeduU&list=OLAK5uy_nyQytqquZixAg_FhAkgy08O5eUVmmn2sA&index=14&pp=8AUB

Nathan Farlow

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 7:56 am    

Beautiful! I'm getting ready to try Junior Brown's C13 tuning on my 8 string. Will be interesting.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 12:10 pm    

No haven't heard that one. Nice!

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 1 May 2024 7:59 am    

I finished up the steel parts if anyone wants to check them out, should be mostly right:

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 8:35 am    

Wow! Well done. Did you actually play the bass right handed and the guitar left-handed, or was that some cinemagraphic trickery?

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 8:05 pm    

Thanks Joseph! No trickery there as I said above, but for the fifth string on bass I am using a high C string on top, instead of the usual low B.
There are some really cool open string possibilities with that C, plus I don't have to worry about hand shifting as much, making life easier Very Happy
It lets me "cheat" and play some things I wouldn't otherwise have the chops to play, like the lick that ends on the 12 fret in bar 13.

first 20 bars: