The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2024 3:23 pm    

Mike DiAlesandro wrote:

Mike,

Where did you get that super-cool mat with the Emmons logo and fretboard markers?

- Dave

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2024 5:58 pm    

Dave Magram wrote:
Mike DiAlesandro wrote:

Mike,

Where did you get that super-cool mat with the Emmons logo and fretboard markers?

- Dave

https://www.emmonsguitar.co/product-page/60-emmons-stage-rug

Bob Hamilton

California Central Coast
Post  Posted 8 May 2024 9:21 pm     1060

Hey Brian Lee, I had that 12 string for a couple of years too, if you ever get the chance to remove the neck, you'll find it's signed underneath by Zane. I did an overspray on the body and repainted the black section and discovered that it's signed in red stain. It was supposedly built by one of Zane's employees for his own use. I still have her cousin number 1062. Nice guitar for sure.

Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 9:38 pm    

Quote:
Hey Brian Lee, I had that 12 string for a couple of years too, if you ever get the chance to remove the neck, you'll find it's signed underneath by Zane. I did an overspray on the body and repainted the black section and discovered that it's signed in red stain. It was supposedly built by one of Zane's employees for his own use. I still have her cousin number 1062. Nice guitar for sure.

Hi Bob Hamilton! Thanks for your post on my 12 string! Thanks too for all the posts you've contributed to this huge ZB thread! When I bought it from Eric Dahlhoff, he was kind enough to provide me with a summary of its history that the had put together. I got the bug to add to it with all the info that I could find on #1060 in this thread. Thanks to your July 2, 2009 post I saw your photo of Zane's red stain signature under the neck- very cool! I also saw your photo of your #1062 and #1060 together - cool that you still have 1062, it's a beauty!

I also found the info that you describe regarding the original owner, plus its invoice info. Really interesting , and also a little bit of a puzzle...

Thanks to B Greg Jones post on Aug 22, 2007 in this thread, here's the invoice info: “The Serial number on that 12 stringer is #1060. Invoiced on Feb.11th 1967 to Don Edwards. Built in Scranton, Arkansas by Zane. “

I'm thinking that "Don Edwards" is referring to the Don Edwards Music Shop that was in Colorado, rather than Don Edwards personally.

Darvin Willhoite's posts describe the original owner story as you relayed:

His July 10, 2008 post in this thread (addressed to you when you owned it) says: “Bob (Hamilton) I’m glad this old guitar is still around and being played. I bought it from Lee Prince, who was living in Oklahoma at the time I bought it. I think he worked for Zane in Arizona, and was originally from California. I never had any more contact with him after I bought the guitar, I don’t know if he’s still in Oklahoma or if he still plays.”

Darvin also made some other similar posts:
"Here’s the story as I know it. This is probably the only 12 string Zane Beck ever built. I bought it in 1980 from a guy in Oklahoma that had worked for Zane in Arizona several years before that."

and...

"I bought it from a former ZB employee, who built it while he was working there.”

The B Greg Jones invoice info combined with Darvin's comments pose a puzzle: If Lee Prince worked at ZB with Zane and was involved in making 1060, why would the invoice be to Don Edwards - a shop in Colorado? Maybe Lee Prince worked with Zane at ZB, was involved in building 1060 on a spec. order from the Edwards shop, but worked a deal to buy it?

Does anyone here know anything about a steel player named Lee Prince in California/Arizona/Oklahoma?

It's a kick to find so much owner and configuration history of this guitar thanks to SGF! It would be fun to find out even more about its journey. Thanks Bob, and to everyone who has posted information in this ZB thread!

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 4:17 am    

22 years old and still going strong. (:

I just finished listening to the most excellent Greg Leisz/Fretboard Journal podcast interview and was surprised (and not surprised) to hear that Greg had spent several years playing ZBs as well. FYI link here:
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/steel-greg-leisz/

Thanks to bOb (and RIP) for keeping this 100+ page ZB thread up and hosted all this time. Many years ago, bOb had asked me, "Do you want to keep that crazy ZB thread going?" "As long as there are folks who are interested and as long as you have enough space to host it." We both laughed. (: The information here has provided so much valuable historical and practical information to all of us ZB players and devotees.

I'm delighted myself to see that it keeps going and growing.

All ZBest,
LC

Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 9:49 am    

Thanks Larry Chung for creating and nurturing this thread for 22 years! Wow! We also sure owe huge thanks to bOb for this amazing SGF site, and to all the folks who have kept it going since his passing. Thanks so much!