The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Building a New "Kline"
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2022 7:02 am    

Actually not a "new Kline",,,,but I am thinking seriously about a new project. As most on the forum know,,,I'm "keyless to the core",,,LOL,,,and also very dedicated to the yoke pull system. I've owned and played Klines for 20+ years,,,of course the old ZBs had a yoke pull system,,and I guess the Moyo's. I'm partial to that self balancing system,,,and think I'd like to try to build something to incorporate my ideas along with that system. While I like the new keyless tuner I posted here earlier,,,,you still can't beat the Kline type tuner that Kline,,,and myself have been building and using for years. Simplicity,,,,that's where it's at.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2022 7:10 am    

Best guitar I ever had was a Kline.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2022 7:04 pm    

The Kline included some very interesting and sound conceptual ideas and they were known to sound accordingly.
I feel that many of these ideas should be re-viewed according to newer manufacturing possibilities.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 5:06 am     Kline Country

Living in the county where the Klines were built, (Portage Co.) and living in a farmhouse built in 1890 that is believed to have been built by an uncle or great uncle of Joe Kline, (Adam Kline) I have a special interest in Kline guitars.

Being a 10 string player, I have had a 12 and a 14 string Kline come my way, but could not adapt to the different string spacing, etc, and as much as I wanted to keep them, they were released back into the wild.

Tomorrow, a D-10 Kline will arrive from California from the original owner! Quite excited to finally have found a ten string Kline...

Anyway, as I sat here this Sunday morning, a thought popped in my head. If Emmons could be revitalized by some folks with the Resound 65, what about Klines...

I wonder if the equipment is still here in Portage County in a pole barn somewhere just waiting to go back to work.

A nice fantasy, probably, but who knows, perhaps with the right group of people involved maybe not as far fetched as it seems.

Your thoughts?

Mike D

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 3:50 pm    

Joe is in Florida and still has parts available,,,also limited work,,,he also built a special order a few years ago,,,don't know if he has his equipment in Florida,,or still in Ohio. David Decker used to work for him and is still in Ohio,,also Hummingbird Music services a lot of Klines and in close communication with Joe. I communicate with him from time to time. Also Paul Redmond is THE authority on Kline guitar

If I built one it would NOT be a duplicate of Kline,,,,it would project some of my own ideas ,,,but utilize the yoke pulling system ,,,as Joe utilized the old yoke ZB pulling system

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 5:30 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Joe is in Florida and still has parts available,,,also limited work,,,he also built a special order a few years ago,,,don't know if he has his equipment in Florida,,or still in Ohio. David Decker used to work for him and is still in Ohio,,also Hummingbird Music services a lot of Klines and in close communication with Joe. I communicate with him from time to time. Also Paul Redmond is THE authority on Kline guitar

If I built one it would NOT be a duplicate of Kline,,,,it would project some of my own ideas ,,,but utilize the yoke pulling system ,,,as Joe utilized the old yoke ZB pulling system

And greatly improved on it. I had a ZB D10 and bought a Kline and the Kline undercarriage was so much more refined and easier to work on. And Kline's vertical was the best design I have ever seen on a PSG.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 10:11 am     Kline guitars reply

I heard that Joe might start building Klines again but on a limited production, only single 10's and 12's formica only guitars, but this is hearsay. Rick Troyer might know more about this, or David Decker.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 10:15 am    

Kline FB Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/872856914632827

Joe Kline is a member... Very Happy