The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Keith Copedant
Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2024 5:10 pm    

Greetings

Does anyone know the copedant Bill Keith used on his D10 wraparound? The copedant listed in the Pedal Steel Guitar book is for a single neck 12.

Thanks

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 9:21 am    

I don't know the answer but I'd assume it was quite similar to his 12-string copedent. he didn't play any C6 that I'm aware of.

Bill was a big influence when I started playing, especially his work on the excellent Sweet Moments album with The Blue Velvet Band. I love this caricature from the back of the album, drawn by Dave Van Ronk.

I spoke with Bill once about the album and his steel playing. he said he just gave up the instrument one day when he looked down and was suddenly overwhelmed by the number of strings and found it hard to play the proper grips. he decided to stick with his first love, the 5-string banjo.

the man was a genius for sure, and it came through in his steel playing. he wrote this quirky instrumental for the BVB album:
https://youtu.be/SYuxzz3NkGA

Last edited by scott murray on 25 Apr 2024 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 9:47 am    

Here is a very old discussion that may be of interest:

https://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20011227-1-012372.html

~Lee

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 6:03 am    

I loved Bill’s playing on the Jonathan Edwards records, too. When I was in Boston in the early ‘70’s our band played a lot of package shows with Jonathan and also the Lily Brothers. Bill would play banjo with the Lily’s and steel with Jonathan and was a great hang. He would warm up on the banjo playing Coltrane and Bach. I think his setup was pretty standard on the Emmons.

Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 8:06 am    

Jonathan Edwards has been a favorite for many decades. I really like “My Home Ain’t In The Hall Of Fame”. Really shows off his range and smooth voice. The steel break is memorable as well. Be sure to listen to both links. I think the first one is Bill? Not sure about the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csgedRWwSJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qi_x-7XXw

Bill and Winnie weren’t the only banjo players to take up PSG in the 60’s. Greg Lasser was a phenomenal bluegrass banjo player from the East Coast. NY if my memory is correct. I don’t know when he took up PSG, but by 1974 he was playing both banjo and PSG in San Francisco. He was my first PSG instructor and immediately turned me on the Winnie Winston / Bill Keith book and ZB guitars. I still have the D-10 I bought new in 1974 from John Campbell at Webb Music in Antioch.

The photo of Bill in the Pedal Steel book shows 3 knee levers, #4 is there on the other side of his right leg. Assuming he had E’s on the left, I’m wondering what changes were on the right.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 2:41 pm    

I may be doing some tune-up work on the push/pull of Bill's son ... things were left up in the air when I last saw him a few months ago as I facilitated his purchase of a friend's guitar. I know that I asked him about the provenance of his Emmons but somehow I cannot recall if it was in fact Bill's guitar. It's a question that especially interests me because if it was Bill's guitar, then it may be the guitar that I saw Bill play in Cambridge, MA in 1973.

Long way to say that whenever he & I do get together next, I'll see if I can learn anything about Bill's setup.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 9:39 am    

Ok -- so here's the one and only thing I found out --

Bill had both E's on the right knee.

-- E raise lever was RKR
-- E lower lever was RKL

His son learned on this setup and when I go-betweened his purchase of an all-pull S-10 I changed the setup on it to match this.