The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EXstar (Excel) by Fuzzy Steel Guitar
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 9:26 am    

I have started using the lower strings in E9 with the 12 string set-up. Throw in some bass notes here and there.

Peter, if you're still having problems, I'd suggest the old de-tune and retune.

Slack off all the pulls on that problem changer finger.
Slack off the E9/C6 shifter set screw.
Ensure the finger moves freely. Maybe take the string of and make sure. (I flip it over and use a little screw driver to actuate the lower and raise parts of the finger. Not only it is easier on your fingers - but you can really feel if there is any hesitation or friction at some point in the movement. Sometimes there is a burr or a sharp edge that can cause extra friction in passing.

Retune the open string.
Engage and retune the E9/C6 lever.
Then retune the pulls with the nylon nuts.

Look for binding at each step - both in E9 and C6 mode. Make sure that when throwing the E9/C6 lever, the finger movement does not cause anything to bind or touch on the other pulls - always some slack.

You know the drill.

Also be sure that the changer springs are tight enough to hold the finger back - not only at rest, but also with any pedals or levers engaged. That would be the max string tension the spring will have to resist.

Smile

Alan Seals

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 1:24 pm     Having trouble contacting Fuzzy Excel

I have sent a couple emails through his website, with no reply. Is he still in business?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 1:57 pm    

I've emailed him 5 times in the past month with replies within a few days each time. Just bought a new 12 string excel that's in the works! Used email address info@fuzzypsg.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 2:10 pm    

Congrats on the order Greg - can't wait to see photos!!

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 6:51 pm    

Anthony Parish wrote:
Colin Swinney wrote:
I would love to see a video of this mechanism in action.

There is a video floating around that shows a user changing the tuning of an Excel PSG from E9 to C6 (I think) with the movement of a lever on the top of the instrument. It's almost like a magic trick!

I can't remember where I saw it (possibly from a link on this forum). I did a quick search on the Fuzzy web site and on youtube, but I couldn't locate the video.

I work for a Japanese company and was fortunate to be in Tokyo over the weekend a few years ago. I played a guitar with that lever and it switches from Emmons to Day on the pedals.

Alan Seals

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2022 10:40 am    

Thank you!

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I've emailed him 5 times in the past month with replies within a few days each time. Just bought a new 12 string excel that's in the works! Used email address info@fuzzypsg.com.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2023 3:23 pm    

I own two recent Excels - an S12 that I bought used two years ago and a D10/12 that arrived at my home this last Tuesday. I love the guitars and agree with Patrick that Mitsuo Fuji is an engineering genius. His guitars are, each of them, works of, art, and like a true artist, Mr. Fuji keeps changing and improving the design.

Playing an aluminum body has a bit of a learning curve, but I love the keyless tuning. It feels so much more precise.

The only downside, for me, is changing the strings, though that has gotten a little bit easier over the last two years.

I have a question for anyone who is playing the latest version of the Excel. For string changes, is it possible to insert the ball of the string from the top of the head? Going from underneath, it takes me a long time to get the string through that little hole, and I would hate to have to turn my guitar sideways or upside down in the middle of a set because I broke a 3rd string. Is there a trick to that? I'd be grateful for any advice.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 24 Apr 2024 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2023 5:07 pm    

The latest ones all the tuning happens on the changer side. The strings themselves go through the nut at the head of the guitar. Tuning the open strings is done from the first horizontal row of tuners just under where the strings attach.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2023 6:09 pm    

Thanks for that information, Lee. I've figured out how the tuning works. My question was on how to insert the ball of the string at the head (opposite of hanger) side of the guitar. I finally figured out that you could insert them from above if you wiggled the string around the right way.

Current issues I am having are thin strings breaking while tuning even though I pull them as tight as can be, they often break when tuning (or sometimes after tuning, they start to go flat and then break

A bit of a learning curve with this guitar.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 10:58 am    

Hi Susan, are the strings breaking at the headstock, or the changer end? Maybe you can post a photo of your guitar, headstock and changer?

Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 11:54 am    

I wonder if head on your guitar is slightly different than mine. Curious about the strings breaking while tuning up. Is your guitar a regular scale or long scale? I've heard of people having them break on the 25.5" guitars like mine, but I haven't experienced that personally. I use a D tuning tho so I'm a bit lower in pitch than most folks here. You are in a C tuning tho correct? Thats even lower than mine!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 11:54 am    

Thanks for writing. When they break (not all of them do), sometimes its on the changer side, and sometimes it's at the head. My guitar is the same version as Lee Gauthier's.

- Mary Oliver

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 2:49 pm    

I can't see any reason to break a string at the headstock side. That's so simple - there aren't any sharp angles or edges there. The Changer side has more things going on...

Maybe try a new string brand!

I rarely break a string on my two Excels. And most breaks were from a sharp edge that the string was coming in to contact with as I tuned up.

Pre-stretching the small strings seems to help with many problems like these.

Micah Taylor

Middle GA, USA, Middle TN Born and Bred
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2024 4:28 pm    

Since it's been about a year since the last post on this thread, I thought I'd ask. Are they still in business as of 2024? I emailed them about 6 days ago for an estimate and still haven't heard back.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2024 7:23 pm    

They were at the Dallas show in March. I think they still are.

- Mary Oliver

Mark Hariman

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2024 4:47 pm    

Yes they are. Just received my S12 Excel about a month ago.

Micah Taylor

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2024 10:33 am    

Is their contact information the same? Did you just order a pedal steel by using their info@fuzzypsg.com email? I'd like to know if they could make a D12 Rosewood Mica Steel. Thanks.

Mark Hariman

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2024 3:30 pm    

Micah Taylor wrote:
Is their contact information the same? Did you just order a pedal steel by using their info@fuzzypsg.com email? I'd like to know if they could make a D12 Rosewood Mica Steel. Thanks.

Yes, that’s the one. Maybe try emailing again. I find that sometimes my emails get missed and I have to send a follow up email. But for the most part, communication has been pretty good.

I suggest making a document detailing everything about your order. Following someone’s advice on the forum, I made a word doc going through my desired copedent, model, color, pedal and knee setup, height of the guitar, etc. I even covered minutia like the type of fretboard marker I would like for my guitar. The more details the better for Mitsuo!

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2024 4:13 pm    

I also had to send a follow up when ordering parts in December. Once I heard back the communication went very smoothly and quickly. Love my pre-Superb Excel!!

Nathaniel Houston

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 12:19 pm    

I am ordering an Excel 12-string guitar (D13) and used the contact form on their website for first contact; I received a reply within 24 hours (from info@fuzzypsg.com).

Mark Hariman

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2024 10:49 pm    

I took delivery of my Excel guitar about a month ago.

It's an S12 ExStar model with 6 pedals and 5 knee levers. I did consider going with the Robostar model but I'm so glad I chose this instead.

Mitsuo was nice to deal with, communication was pretty good. Maybe there were a couple of times I had to send follow up emails but that's it really. He even threw in a wrist pad free of charge!

Copedent is mostly based on Greg Leisz's as I am a fan of his playing.

I'm coming from a 10 string 3x4 StageOne guitar, so this felt slightly foreign at the start but after a month of playing I feel really comfortable on it now. I thought the added 2 strings would throw me off but I think I've got the hang of it! I really like having the 2 lower strings for playing fat juicy chords.

Micah Taylor

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2024 5:23 am    

Mark, that is one good looking guitar! Do you know if they do steels in lacquer, or is it all in mica? I have only seen lacquer on the older models.

Mark Hariman

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2024 3:04 pm    

Micah Taylor wrote:
Mark, that is one good looking guitar! Do you know if they do steels in lacquer, or is it all in mica? I have only seen lacquer on the older models.

Thank you! I don’t think I’ve seen a recent lacquer model by Excel as well, but that’s because their recent builds are all aluminium bodied guitars. From my understanding, only the neck is made of wood.

That said, it probably wouldn’t hurt to ask Mitsuo if he could build a wood bodied guitar, you might just have to supply the wood.