The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dickey Betts Passes at 80
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 8:39 am    

Dickey Betts of Allman Brothers Band fame passed away yesterday at the age of 80. I know there are lots of us on the forum who spent a lot of time copping Duane Allman and Dickey Betts licks off albums like Eat a Peach and At Fillmore East back in the day. Dickey also had the great album "Highway Call" under his own name with lots of great Papa John Hughey pedal steel on it.

Alan Paul knows as much about the ABB as anyone and just posted this on facebook.

"Forrest Richard “Dickey” Betts
December 12, 1943 – April 17, 2024
(Photo, copyright 1991, Kirk West)
A full-length obituary to come, but let's take a moment to tip our hats to this musical giant, whose incredible melodic sense, bone-deep playing and fantastic songwriting, including but by no means limited to "Blue Sky," "Jessica," "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," His ideas and concepts formed the backbone and musical DNA of the Allman Brothers Band, the greatest American rock band ever. (That's a subjective statement, of course, so don't argue. You have a right to your own opinion, too. For me, the Dead is the only rival and then it's just a matter of taste.)
Dickey's reputation as a hell raiser was well earned, but sadly obscured the depth, vision and intellectual curiosity at the core of his being. He had a deep love and knowledge about a wide range of music, including jazz, country, Western Swing, acoustic and electric blues and folk.
On a personal level, he was my favorite guitarist and an absolutely essential part of my career. My relationships with him and Warren Haynes led to my friendship with Kirk West, which lef me to become more of an ABB insider and it all grew from there. But the reason all that happened at all is I LOVED THE MUSIC. it impacted me in a way nothing else ever has, engaging my heart, body and soul and taking me on emotional and intellectual excursions that both helped form who I am and understand who I am. I know that many of you feel the same.
As we mourn in our own ways, let's think first of his family: Donna, Duane & Lisa, Christy & Frank, Jessica, and Kim. As the ABB said in their official statement, "Play on Brother Dickey, you will be forever remembered and deeply missed."

Kirk West gets credit for this great photo of Dickey...

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 8:41 am    

Time to absolutely crank "Blue Sky" and "Ramblin Man"
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 8:50 am    

Amen, Jeff, also the Great Southern albums.

Sorry I didn't see you post and had put one in gone home, I think he deserves to be in there. Waiting for a obit from Saving Country Music, as Trigger always has great and well researched obits!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 9:21 am    

Thanks for the notice Jeff and thanks for posting it in the proper section.

I, like many of you, spent a lot of time listening to Dickie with the Allman's and a few of his Great Southern LPs too.
RIP Legend Dickie Betts.