The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modeling Rigs
David Barnett

Eastern Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 6:00 am    

I was curious what everyone’s experience with digital rigslike Kempers, Quad Cortex, Helix, etc have been? I’ve been studying on going this route for a year now, I like the idea of not having to pack amps and pedals around. I don’t play steel out as much as I do guitar and bass, I’ve heard these rigs will handle bass and acoustics as well. That would eliminate me needing to keep a bunch of amps piled up in my music room and have one rig I can use for everything live or studio. What’s the best and most versatile Modler and what kinda powered speaker cab can I use with em? Thanks
Emmons Legrande ll D10
A few old Prewar Gibson Banjers

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 6:43 am    

I’ve been using the Kemper for about 5 years now and love it. I also play my tele through it as well as mandolin and 6 string banjitar. There are numerous profiles of the Fishman Spectrum Aura DI out there which sounds awesome on acoustic instruments. I know Joe Rogers uses the Quad Cortex especially on the road with Tracy Byrd and it sounds amazing as well. The Kemper hardware is almost 14 years old now but they keep coming out with new firmware updates to keep the technology current and adding more effects and features. Also the Kemper community is what makes it still so popular, so many people have increadible sounding profiles out there that you don’t need to profile your own stuff. Everything I use is from Michael Britt and sounds like amps professionally miked up in the studio. I go direct with mine and use in-ears but if I were to play it amped up I would definitely go with the powered Kemper Kone cabinet. Mike Holder also has alot of profiled steel amps for free for the Kemper here on the forum. Hope this helps

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 10:25 am    

Quote:
but if I were to play it amped up I would definitely go with the powered Kemper Kone cabinet.

If you can find one. I've been looking for one for my Kemper Profiler non-powered head but every place says out of stock. If anyone knows a good source or similar powered speaker that would take advantage of the Kemper, let me know.

I'm strictly a bedroom/youtube player. I've had a Kemper for awhile and loved it with my lap steels, but when I got my pedal steel, I experimented with a lot of different amps and effects pedals. I'm now going back to just the Kemper. with the profiles I've gotten off the forum, I'm really happy with the way it sounds. I'll be putting a lot of stuff up for sale.

David Barnett

Eastern Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 10:18 pm    

I’m really leaning towards a Kemper. From what I’ve researched so far these produce the best sound and have been around longer, so they have a lot of support and downloads. They actually make a 600W powered version, so I wouldn’t have to buy a powered speaker. Has anyone used this particular model, thoughts?

Emmons Legrande ll D10
A few old Prewar Gibson Banjers

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 4:50 am    

Tried the Kemper and liked the sounds but found the computer interface really difficult to figure out.

After hearing some of Greg Cutshaw's tones on a Fractal AXE I found a good deal on one and really like it. For me I am totally underutilizing all that it has to offer, but had no problem cloning my Sarno Octal Revelation to it.

There is not one thing that you cannnot tweak with this device. Some of the amp builders would like it as for example you can modify the preamp section to change tubes, voltages etc. Most of that stuff is over my head but you can tweak forever if you want to.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 5:53 am    

I am new to this world of digital amplification, but I am glad I gave it a chance. From what I know, I could be wrong, but the only big difference between something like the Kemper and what I got (Valeton 200LT $192) is the ability to make and download profiles. What is a profile?? I have no idea! The Valeton does download IR's which to my understanding are only a speaker emulation?? I have no idea! Anyway here it is https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=398543&highlight=

I am happy with the stock effects and modeling choices in the Valeton. I find it very easy to create useful clean or dirty patches, and the acoustic AER amp models are great to my ears. There are bass amp models and cabs as well. My thoughts are, unless you really need all the bells and whistles why not use a simpler more compact unit? Good luck!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 9:45 am    

Tim, maybe one other big advantage of using top of the line gear is for pro players who want to take their studio profile device on the road. Or, the reverse. If you create a profile on something like the Kemper for live gigs and get called in for a recording gig, you can just have the engineer download your file into the studio rig.

But to your point, there are certainly some very high quality budget-oriented options for the frugal gear geek these days. If you don’t do a high profile live gig or record regularly, there is really not much reason to spend $2-3000 on a high end profiler+speaker+footswitch.

Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 12:46 pm    

I vote for the TONEX. You can run it direct to the PA or you can disable the cab simulation and run it into the power section of your amp. Joe Rogers is using one with Tracy Byrd live and in the studio and he created a profile for me that I'm using and the tone is just incredible.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 1:37 pm    

I’m using the UA Dream 65 and the UA OX stomp with great results. Joe has done the most research on the subject so if he likes the Tonex I’m sure you can’t go wrong.
Nice to have some options that cost less than an amp for a change!

Jim Norman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 6:16 pm    

Brian Spratt wrote:
I vote for the TONEX. You can run it direct to the PA or you can disable the cab simulation and run it into the power section of your amp. Joe Rogers is using one with Tracy Byrd live and in the studio and he created a profile for me that I'm using and the tone is just incredible.

Hi Brian,

Is there any chance your profile is available on the Tonex community site? Sounds like something I'd love to check out. I understand if it's a personal profile not for wider availability, but thought I'd ask.

Cheers,
Jim

Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2024 6:27 pm    

Jim Norman wrote:

Hi Brian,

Is there any chance your profile is available on the Tonex community site? Sounds like something I'd love to check out. I understand if it's a personal profile not for wider availability, but thought I'd ask.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

I have a few profiles I've created here:

https://www.tone.net/tonex/users/the.pedal.stop

The profiles Joe is making are just amazing and real top-notch stuff. I'm still learning the process and getting better at making my own profiles. Try out my Nashville and Fender profiles (they're free), but still, I'd encourage you to reach out to Joe here on the forum and see what he can do for you.

Jim Norman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 12:50 pm    

Brian Spratt wrote:
Jim Norman wrote:

Hi Brian,

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

I have a few profiles I've created here:

https://www.tone.net/tonex/users/the.pedal.stop

The profiles Joe is making are just amazing and real top-notch stuff. I'm still learning the process and getting better at making my own profiles. Try out my Nashville and Fender profiles (they're free), but still, I'd encourage you to reach out to Joe here on the forum and see what he can do for you.

Thanks so much Brian. I'll give these a go and also reach out to Joe. Cheers, Jim

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 2:20 pm    

I use a Kemper and an Iridium at various times and love'em both!

I've never profiled any amps, just found a Twin Reverb and a Champ in there and use those two, every day...I only need two sounds-a clean one and a dirty one..great effects in the Kemper!.

SH

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2024 12:53 pm    

Mitchell Smithey wrote:
I’m using the UA Dream 65 and the UA OX stomp with great results. Joe has done the most research on the subject so if he likes the Tonex I’m sure you can’t go wrong.
Nice to have some options that cost less than an amp for a change!

I am currently using a Revelation pre-amp direct with a passive radial box. Would adding the Ox stomp be recommended in that case?

Also I have tried the TC Electronic 65 Deluxe pedal and liked the direct sound, but found that the max level was much lower than the Revelation in a live setting.

Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 4:58 am    

Paul Stauskas wrote:

I am currently using a Revelation pre-amp direct with a passive radial box. Would adding the Ox stomp be recommended in that case?

Paul, since the OX Stomp is a speaker/cab simulator, you'd only want to use it with a pre-amp (like the Revelation) if you can put it in line AFTER the pre-amp. The idea is to simulate a "regular" style amp where the signal goes preamp -> power section -> speaker/cab. I don't know if the Revelation pre-amp has an output that would provide a pedal-friendly signal for running into the OX Stomp.

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 8:07 pm    

I started with the Strymon Iridium. Not long after that I exchanged it for the UAFX '65 Dream. Liked that enough that I bought the UAFX '68 Lion and have been using them both on my pedal board. I am happy with the sound. Signal chain is guitar-pedal board- 65 Dream or 68 Lion-direct box- PA. One of the reasons I like this set up is that I can switch from direct into the PA with the Dream and the Lion (still using my pedal board like I normally would) or just bypass them and go right into my amp with the pedal board.

Matthew Tierney

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2024 8:51 am    

Is anyone running a modeler into a stereo keyboard amp for live use? I posted another topic on this portion of the forum but maybe I'll delete that and merge my questions into this thread. Wondering about using the UA Dream 65 in stereo (probably using a super clean setting and "Jerry's Twin" preset or a dual 12" clean set up) into a Motion Sound KP612S amp. Seems like a viable option... It'll take me a moment to get the rig set up once the UA arrives next week but I'll be sure to send out my reactions when I have them...

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2024 11:25 am    

Matthew Tierney wrote:
Is anyone running a modeler into a stereo keyboard amp for live use? ...

Keyboard amps with stereo i/o and FRFR speakers serve keyboard players very well. It’s not so much about getting the sound of two amps as it is about separation of two instrument sounds - such as a piano sound comping chords with the left hand and a string section droning away with the right hand, both on the same instrument with stereo outs. The purpose of the FRFR speakers is self evident, and is overkill as far as frequency response requirements for pedal steel.

You might get a kick out of the sound of a stereo amp from your personal space on the stage, but it won’t be something the audience notices unless you use both direct outs from the amp and send them to different channels on the PA and have them panned to different areas left and right in the FoH stereo field.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 9:40 pm    

To answer Paul, yes the OX stomp should work great after the revelation. In fact I want to try it with my V 8

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2024 8:05 pm    

Mitchell Smithey wrote:
To answer Paul, yes the OX stomp should work great after the revelation. In fact I want to try it with my V 8

Thank you, I may decide to give it a shot!