The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Motion Sound KP612 + UA Dream 65 Modeler
Matthew Tierney

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2024 6:48 pm    

I'm wondering if there's a use case for the following: I'm a keyboard player mainly, I play hammond, Rhodes, Wurli, synth all of that. The best cabinet I've found is the Motion Sound KP 612 stereo cabinet. It's got tons of clean headroom, really good stereo separation, lots of inputs/outputs, and a good form factor. I want to be able to bring one amp to gigs where I play both keyboards and pedal steel with a fairly loud band but where the output of that amp goes stereo XLR to front of house in all cases.

I just ordered a UA Dream '65 to go along with my keyboard rig in hopes that I don't need to lug my Fender Twin to gigs along with my whole keyboard rig... My logic seems to tell me:

1. Pedal steel wants a tube amp, ideally one with a 12" or 15" speaker or a pair of them for stereo ideally.
2. Amp modelers can probably get close to a tube amp . Especially the UAFX Modelers : )
3. These modelers want to go to FOH full range speakers with as much range reproduction as possible
4. A keyboard amp wants the same thing. Tonal range, lots of clean headroom, and this one gives stereo separation in a 2x12 with tweeter cabinets that are angled such that they really do separate the L/R signals in a compelling way.
5. If I could play all keyboards and all pedal steel through the same amp/pedalboard, my life would be sooooo much simpler.

I think the Motion Sound KP612 may be a perfect stereo cabinet to pump a modeler into but I can't find anyone who's done it. Has anyone tried this? Does it seem like the above makes sense?