The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hardway Jupiter lap steel
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 6:19 am    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:
Damn shame about the fire, that is crazy...

Lot of nice details on this guitar indeed, just noticed the subtle lip ("French carve"? on the transition from the upper to lower bout.

That tuning you quoted is nice, I think major tunings with the 3rd as the highest note like that are underrated and definitely worth exploring.
It might be worth trying to switch the order of the high F# and the E strings.
That way it would feel less weird since you'd have the straight major chord and the E out of the way except for when you want it,taking your time to get used to it..
If you tune up to E tuning, going on the high F# string to high G# could be an issue if the string is too heavy, should work around an .10 or .11.

Could also be useful to insert a C string in the middle for a dominant chord sound without messing up the open D character. That would of course require more extensive restringing though.
Another option still would be to have the straight open tuning in the middle with the high 3rd on top, and a low 5th (.68 or so) on the bottom.

Glad you're liking the instrument and it checks all the boxes, enjoy it in good health!

Thanks for your tips on tuning. Will try switching up tuning on the two high strings.

I think the term you're thinking of is "German carve", like on Mosrite and Hallmark bodies.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 6:33 am    

that Outrigger was fiberglass, we were working on wood versions too which I think would have looked really nice in curly maple. I liked the fact it made it so you simply used a dobro hardshell case and the guitar was completely protected.

Show up at an audition with a dobro case and pull that out...you'll get thier attention Wink

I actually loved the NS headstock, I agree at first glance it looks weak, but you actually have as much wood as a flat head (Grover depth), if we had gone on to build Melobar necks again...that's the head they would have had. It had already proven itself with the Melobro which had significantly more string angle pull. Could they break...all guitar heads can break if smacked on the cement, but it proved to be stronger than the original Melobar and Dobro style slotted head stocks with better pull down.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 6:14 am     better photos

Thanks for posting the better photos.

I was completely wrong to say that head stock was a weak point, the thickness of the instrument is greater that I had visualized.

You got a really nice steel guitar for an even greater price. Everything I see on this guitar is super excellent.
My estimate is a 50 + year trouble free longevity.

I too have aged out of building - CNC wood work, mostly sanding and painting.
I've always respected the entire Melobar history, saw my 1st one with Poco - it rocked way back then.

Pitty on the burn out - can relate we were victims of the 2004 cedars fires in sandy eggo took out 3600 homes in 24 hours.

Back to the head of the guitar for a moment - just an engineering tip I got at our CNC shop, if a bottom floor were to be added,
minimum of .125 thickness, - that alone will - will increase the anti deflection by thousands of a percent.
When tuner gears are side mounted the upward pull from string tension is mostly non existent.
YouTube Channel

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 6:47 am    

I agree on the bottom floor idea George but you know it's going to collect dust etc, I tried it, it lost something and I liked the open look of the Ned Steinberger design.
I was critisized yesterday about Melobar necks only being 4 1/2" wide and I guess that's part of the design thinking differance is we want light and streamlined.

The upper bout route we called fluted route, I actually just finished a guitar yesterday with the German Carve, I feel like the body is vibrating better with that design and probably how it came about in the first place nearly a hundred years ago
[img]
[/img]

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 7:23 am    

Not to mention, all you need is a 16 penny nail in a wall stud and you have a hanger for your steel. I wouldn't recommend it though, it would scratch the nice finish on the head. Wink

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 7:56 am     Gotta Love It

Ted , wow that design really rocks, I love the look - if you can post more larger photos it would be great.

I don't know why someone would criticize a 4.5" neck width.

I think you have been nailing your awesome designs for years.

If we could only turn back the years , I would still be churning out lap steels.

In my opinion, there is so little of a market, I spent years creating a true manufacturing ability capable of "Ramping up" to any level of production. We have tried to Sell the business in a number of variations for over a decade, Zero interest whatsoever. (Still willing to work with anyone with a vision of making hundreds of Lap Steel Guitars).
YouTube Channel

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 12:39 pm     Re: better photos

George Piburn wrote:
Thanks for posting the better photos.

I was completely wrong to say that head stock was a weak point, the thickness of the instrument is greater that I had visualized.

You got a really nice steel guitar for an even greater price. Everything I see on this guitar is super excellent.
My estimate is a 50 + year trouble free longevity.

I too have aged out of building - CNC wood work, mostly sanding and painting.
I've always respected the entire Melobar history, saw my 1st one with Poco - it rocked way back then.

Pitty on the burn out - can relate we were victims of the 2004 cedars fires in sandy eggo took out 3600 homes in 24 hours.

Back to the head of the guitar for a moment - just an engineering tip I got at our CNC shop, if a bottom floor were to be added,
minimum of .125 thickness, - that alone will - will increase the anti deflection by thousands of a percent.
When tuner gears are side mounted the upward pull from string tension is mostly non existent.

Look what's on Reverb.com: