The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spark Practice Amp
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 5:22 am    

I ordered the much-touted Spark 40 watt practice amp today. Has anyone else ordered one? ..Or received one?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 7:27 am    

Bill, I don't have one but am very interested in your results. I watched all the videos on this and wanted to see how it goes.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 24 May 2020 8:46 am    

I watched them too. There was very little clean picking. I will let you know how it works.

If I do not like it, I am sure my rocker grandson will.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 9:57 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Bill, I don't have one but am very interested in your results.

So am I !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 25 May 2020 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 10:00 am    

I got mine.

It's very versatile and has a zillion features and tonal options. The iPad app is also a breeze to use. It's also incredibly inexpensive for what you get. They also did a good job of emulating tube amp "touch" dynamics, so if you are a player that use s a light touch and then "digs in" for some attack-based punch you'll find it works well.

The downside - while the tones DO emulate what they are supposed to, they all sound like a solid-state amp version. There's a typical non-tube, high end "gritty" sound to virtually everything it does, whether through speakers or headphones.

The thing I really dislike, though, is that the internal speakers sound like crap (IMO) at any volume level, and the BIG mistake - there's no external speaker output!

And as far as the backup parts it creates, I find them too "metronomic" and no match for Diigitech's Trio+. Granted, the Trio+ is a more expensive device dedicated to backup and loop parts, but IMO Positive Grid might have made a better choice spending $ on the tone, adding an external speaker out and leaving the backup part game to those who already do it better.

Last - Between the Spark, their Bias Amp 2, Bias Pedal and Bias FX 2 plus their other hardware amps and software they are clearly developing and marketing products for the metal and harder rock markets. Clean tones seem to be an afterthought with virtually every patch, with the focus of most voicing becoming more apparent once some "grind" is dialed in.

To be clear - I use it quite a bit. It's fun, easy, convenient - and inexpensive.

Buit to put it in context, IMO it's a waste of money for pedal steel only players. I use it strictly for 6-string. I don't like ANY sound with my Fender 400 or Push-Pull.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 10:01 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Bill, I don't have one but am very interested in your results. I

So am I !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 25 May 2020 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 5:27 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
I got mine.

It's very versatile and has a zillion features and tonal options. The iPad app is also a breeze to use. It's also incredibly inexpensive for what you get. They also did a good job of emulating tube amp "touch" dynamics, so if you are a player that use s a light touch and then "digs in" for some attack-based punch you'll find it works well.

The downside - while the tones DO emulate what they are supposed to, they all sound like a solid-state amp version. There's a typical non-tube, high end "gritty" sound to virtually everything it does, whether through speakers or headphones.

The thing I really dislike, though, is that the internal speakers sound like crap (IMO) at any volume level, and the BIG mistake - there's no external speaker output!

And as far as the backup parts it creates, I find them too "metronomic" and no match for Diigitech's Trio+. Granted, the Trio+ is a more expensive device dedicated to backup and loop parts, but IMO Positive Grid might have made a better choice spending $ on the tone, adding an external speaker out and leaving the backup part game to those who already do it better.

Last - Between the Spark, their Bias Amp 2, Bias Pedal and Bias FX 2 plus their other hardware amps and software they are clearly developing and marketing products for the metal and harder rock markets. Clean tones seem to be an afterthought with virtually every patch, with the focus of most voicing becoming more apparent once some "grind" is dialed in.

To be clear - I use it quite a bit. It's fun, easy, convenient - and inexpensive.

Buit to put it in context, IMO it's a waste of money for pedal steel only players. I use it strictly for 6-string. I don't like ANY sound with my Fender 400 or Push-Pull.

Jim I read somewhere as well that the speakers sounded like crap. And glad to to find out from you it has no line out option for speaker out. I won’t be buying one then
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 26 May 2020 12:42 pm    

I have not received my amp yet, but if I find it useful, lack of a speaker out jack would not be a show stopper. If needed a speaker out jack should be easy enough to add.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 6:59 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-deDLJb7PTY

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 6:55 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
I got mine.

Jim,
I have to disagree. Here are two examples of the SPARK. One with the Trio + and using the headphone out and the second with using the SPARK speakers.

https://clyp.it/lns41r0u

https://youtu.be/BHJMp36rgOc

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 7:39 pm    

I bought a Spark a few weeks ago and I think it sounds pretty good with my Sierra! I am using one of Ron Hogans settings he shared, thanks Ron. This is the first amp I have had that I can play pedal steel, my Tele, a Yamaha Silent String acoustic and my P bass through and have them all sound good. I am beyond pleased with this little amp.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 9:35 am    

My wife has one and I borrowed it for a practice. I was able to get a very suitable sound for PSG, but I couldn't quite get enough volume. At max volume with a clean setting, it was just barely loud enough. And we are a fairly quiet band. The steel is an Emmons with 710 pickups.

It is totally baffling to me why they do not provide a line out to go to a PA. I could see a setup where you position this near your head so you can hear it well, and then send the sound to the house PA.

Is the headphone out good enough for this? I think it has a 3.5mm headphone jack, which is not as reliable as a 1/4" or an XLR.

Maybe somebody has worked out a way to wire in an XLR balanced output.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 10:59 am    

Quote:
Maybe somebody has worked out a way to wire in an XLR balanced output.

I ordered this from Amazon and run the headphone out into a mixer. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DCO4DCG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2022 3:39 am    

I've got a birthday coming soon,And I'm gonna get one!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2022 11:47 am    

I just played a steel jam out of town, didn't want to bring my expensive amp so I used my Spark's speakers for the first time -- they did the job, the thing got loud (I previously posted here before that it wasn't that loud and I now stand corrected) -- the sound of the amp to a trained ear is obviously digitally modeled BUT, it sounds pretty good -- I got several compliments from some veteran steelers marveling at how small it is -- for 250 bucks, and although it has some key "guitar amp" features missing, it's a good product.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 5:46 am    

George Biner wrote:
I just played a steel jam out of town, didn't want to bring my expensive amp so I used my Spark's speakers for the first time -- they did the job, the thing got loud (I previously posted here before that it wasn't that loud and I now stand corrected) -- the sound of the amp to a trained ear is obviously digitally modeled BUT, it sounds pretty good -- I got several compliments from some veteran steelers marveling at how small it is -- for 250 bucks, and although it has some key "guitar amp" features missing, it's a good product.

George, did they mic the amp for you or direct out of the headphone out? I guess to it depends how loud the other players are going to be.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 6:58 am    

Hi Ron: No, we didn't mic it at all, I just ran the built-in dual 3" speakers

I believe that if you connect to the headphone output, the main output shuts off, so again, that is a drawback of the amp that it doesn't have a traditional external output.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2022 5:18 am    

Thx George!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmdqA8mMZk

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 5:27 am    

Here's a reply I made to a fellow SPARK owner to help him tweak it.

Do you have it set on "acoustic" not "Clean"? You would think clean was the way to go but not true for me.

Also, did you go to the cloud to try out my settings? Search "Hogan" and it should pull up about 5 tones/amps.

Every time you turn the SPARK off, it will return back to where the knobs were originally from my original saved settings. You have to move the particular knob to a different location to change the setting to your liking.

Of course, turn either bass or and highs up and down. Remember that the speakers sound different vs. just using the headphone jack. The HP jack sound has more highs, so adjust accordingly.

Nathan Farlow

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 10:29 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
Jim Sliff wrote:
I got mine.

Jim,
I have to disagree. Here are two examples of the SPARK. One with the Trio + and using the headphone out and the second with using the SPARK speakers.

https://clyp.it/lns41r0u

https://youtu.be/BHJMp36rgOc

Ron, I use the Spark 40 with my SX 8-string lap. It does the job well but I would love to try the Trio +. I struggle to keep it from being tinny and have to watch to make sure it's not overdriven.

Thanks

Nathan Farlow

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 12:14 pm    

Ron, I realized that the Trio doesn't have anything to do with Spark. Thanks though, enjoyed your playing!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 6:00 am    

Spark is putting out a live gig amp combo for around $550.00 Its on a preorder basis like they did the first amps. I'm not interested in one but thought it worth mentioning.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 6:06 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Spark is putting out a live gig amp combo for around $550.00 Its on a preorder basis like they did the first amps. I'm not interested in one but thought it worth mentioning.

The spark is a good little amp. Down loading actually works and is fairly easy. Roland/Boss should contract Positive Grid to do their download processes.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 7:06 am    

I agree on that Bill.