The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons S8?
Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 4:46 am    

Just got my S8 back from having some work done. Curious about the history on these. Brown mica w a black cast key head w string slots cut directly into it.
I was asking around on another steel forum and semi identified it as a GS or a black rock, but someone else said that these eight strings were actually earlier than that, and meant for console players, who wanted the wider string spacing and an eighth string format.
I tried to post pictures, but wasn’t successful. Will try when I’m at my desktop.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 10:36 am    

I had one that I got from Billy Knowles, it was a bit of a beater and priced accordingly. It was from the late '60s with the older style thick bell cranks, rosewood mica with a decal on the cabinet. Serial # 1007 8 S (perhaps the 7th of this model built?). It's not a GS, but very similar to a later Black Rock save for a few details like the roller-less key head, no pickguard, no aluminum trim on the front apron. It has normal cast end plates like a Black Rock or a pro model, the overall body and end plate dimensions are identical to a pro model S10. The key head was as you described, a wood pedal rack with mica on the top and front, black flocking on bottom and rear. It had bolt-on changer pillow blocks screwed directly to the top deck, and short fingers like a Black Rock or GS. I don't know if they built any of these in the '70s or if they overlapped with the Black Rock production.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 12:48 pm    

I had this one for a spell around 2011, 2012...It had 3 pedals and one kl as I recall. Raised fret board, bolt type changer and a polished keyhead and pro type end plates.

As I recall, it also had a roller nut along with the keystone type machines.

I think there must have been several configurations of 8 string Emmons pedal steels.

The student GS, the Black Rock, etc. The one I had was marked S8 on the serial number which I don't remember, but believe it was built in the late 60s, early 70s judging by the pedals and decal vs. badge.

I let it go to Mike Cass and from there don't know.

I think I have more pics somewhere that I will post if and when I find them.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 5:40 pm     1007 8 S