The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clip for mounting fx pedal to steel leg?
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 7:36 am    

Anyone have a good source for these? I'm thinking the type of clip such as on the steel driver or session 500 remote.

I want to mount it to an analog delay so I can move the parameters easily while I play.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 7:46 am    

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/leg-clamp-2-25-by-show-pro/

-or-

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/leg-clamp-3-5-by-show-pro/

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 7:50 am    

Perfect, thanks!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 8:05 am    

Good -- wasn't sure if you had something else in mind. If the Forum Store doesn't have them, Show Pro is the source.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 1:45 pm    

I know using the pvc conduit was popular for a while but it's a trial and error to get the size of the pipe cut properly. It cuts easily with a hacksaw.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 4:04 pm    

Unless you really have to, I wouldn't clip anything to the steel. It looks tacky. My $.02

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 5:25 pm    

Tim Harr wrote:
Unless you really have to, I wouldn't clip anything to the steel. It looks tacky. My $.02

Totally agree. Like installing a trailer hitch on a Corvette.

But hey, lotsa steelers are gadget freaks. Whatever works for you is fine with me; to each their own...

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 8:51 pm    

Attaching it to your leg, between the ankle and knee is tacky and looks really silly on break.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 3:14 am    

https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/product/leg-mount/

This is what I used when I made an loop/reverb switcher for my Peavy Nashville 112
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 6:55 am    

Tim Harr wrote:

Yeah, cause a bunch of stomp boxes piled on a makeshift table looks so much cooler.🙄

3/4 in. conduit works well for a leg clip. You have to eyeball or measure it so it's more than half so it wraps around the leg far enough to stay. You also have to countersink the screw holes so they don't bump against your pretty chrome leg plating.

Schedule 40, I think is is, is the best...heavy enough to last a long time. The GL style clips look neater and more professional but they won't stand up to years of clipping and unclipping. I think even Goodrich went to the conduit at least for a time.

You can hacksaw it but it's hard to cut straight. Better if you have a scroll saw or band saw or even let your neighbor do it for you if you don't have the tools.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 7:33 am    

I'm wondering if a vinyl siding table saw blade would cut nicely through pvc? If so, mount an 18" piece of pvc pipe to a straight board. Set the fence to the desired measurement and run it through the table saw? Drill a hole at each end of the 18" pvc. Use a #6 or #8 bolt and nut from the inside of the end of the pipe and through the board? If a vinyl cutting blade would cut easily through it, an 18" pipe would made 8 or 9 clips. Or, maybe a plywood saw blade would work?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 7:39 am    

I have my stomp boxes mounted in a 4 space rack case. The depth of the case determines the height when it's on the floor next to your seat. I built a bypass switch into an old disfunctional stomp box. Then, switch them all in or out.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 8:59 am    

OOPS! Missed John's link to Goodrich. Appears it's std. PVC pipe and they've already done all the work for you.

I dunno what shipping costs are, but $12 might be the most frugal way to go unless you need a bunch of these. Time you go to hdwe. store and buy a long piece of conduit and try to split it. Might also save some cuts, scratches and bruises if you are a klutz like me.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 5:43 pm    

I cut the gray pvc conduit with a hacksaw. Easy to cut and if you draw lines you can cut straight enough. Drilling and counter sinking the holes are no big deal. Getting the right gap to snap around the leg was the tricky part.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 6:44 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
OOPS! Missed John's link to Goodrich. Appears it's std. PVC pipe and they've already done all the work for you.

I dunno what shipping costs are, but $12 might be the most frugal way to go unless you need a bunch of these. Time you go to hdwe. store and buy a long piece of conduit and try to split it. Might also save some cuts, scratches and bruises if you are a klutz like me.

Looks like the Goodrich solution is a rubber washer type system so the pvc snaps to the leg and theres nothing sharp to mar the chrome.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 7:33 pm    

So how do you attach, say, a Boss DD-3 to the clamp? Without driving a screw through its brain?

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2024 9:22 pm    

Frank Freniere wrote:
So how do you attach, say, a Boss DD-3 to the clamp? Without driving a screw through its brain?

Maybe get one of these aftermarket backplates and drill some holes in it, cut screws short enough that you can get nuts in there to hold it to the bracket without shorting out the guts of the pedal. Not a lot of room inside Boss gear. The pedal would end up sticking out in front of the PSG leg instead of to the side but with right angle cables and some cable management it should work ok.

Or if you make a backplate thick enough there would be enough meat to put the holder on the side of the new backplate keep in mind it needs to be offset enough for the 1/4 inch jack to clear. Maybe like some 1/2 to 1 inch thick polycarbonate. Drill the holes for the screws get longer machine screws for the backplate and then drill the side for screws for the PVC clip and id probably epoxy those in once I had it how I like it. Bonus of this approach is now you have a universal backplate clip for any boss pedal cause in my experience the footprints are all identical.

If I had a 3D printer I could probably have something figured out in about an hour or two CAD file and all.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 5:21 am    

Another idea, cut a piece of 1/8 masonite or similar material to the same size as the backing plate of the pedal and screw the clip to it. Apply velco to it and attach the pedal with velcro.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 6:45 am    

Tim Harr wrote:

I had to do it.... My studio is small with too much stuff and besides that I'm old and hate to get up and down to get anything done.

After I sold my 7 piece drum kit I had a lot of drum hardware left over so I went a little crazy.

Mic stand and mandolin on left front leg..

Fiddle and 16 channel headphone monitor on right front leg.

Tuner and iPad holder on right rear leg. The tuner is attached to the mounting plate with Alien Tape (no drilling required)

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 5:34 pm     Clamps

My simple set-up..Peterson clamps bent to Velcro fit the tuner and midi transmitter.. Very Happy

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 8:24 am    

Edward Dixon wrote:

Mic stand and mandolin on left front leg..

I got a clip-on mic stand for my steel and it's SO nice. I can set the mic where I want it and don't have to depend on whatever piece of junk stand a venue may or may not have. I bring my own mic and 2 xlr cables as well - one for my mic, one for the amp speaker sim out (the speaker sim on my Milkman amp is amazing and I'm happy to use it). Cables are color-coded so no worry they'll get confused with venue cables. Mic stand goes in the leg case along with the legs and pedals.

I also have a mandolin mount, but I don't gig with both mandolin and steel at this point, so I don't use it.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 9:00 am     Homemade pedal base

I bought leg clamps from ShowPro and made simple pedal bases from plywood and velcro. These work great.