The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great pics and info on this Bigsby T-8 pedal steel
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 10:37 am    

https://reverb.com/item/81022922-bigsby-t-8-pedal-steel-electric-guitar-1958-ser-61558-black-hard-shell-case

Love looking at it and learning the story but 20k, eh? No thanks.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 28 Mar 2024 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 1:26 pm    

The original price of $925.00 seems relatively high... but from the documents, Gord spent even more money tweaking the instrument. More documents show it looks like Paul gave Gord a deal on the rework at $425 versus $625, the normal charge for the work.

I wonder why they thought it needed a "rebuild" only three years after it was made. From the paperwork, it looks like Paul Bigsby did the 50.5 hours of work on the rebuild at a cost of $484.00

In 1958 a new Fender Telecaster list price was $199 and a Strat of the same year was about $250 with the tremolo system. A Chevy Impala was about $2,600. $925 in 1958 would be worth $9,990 today. That is in-line with top quality PSG pricing today.

Great Pics!

I would buy it myself... but I only play guitars with a minimum of 25 strings... too bad! Smile

Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 4:10 pm    

I wonder if the paperwork describes where they replaced the aluminum necks with wood?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 4:13 pm    

One of the very last of the truly awesome Bigsby pedal steels. Wow!!!

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 10:58 am    

I sold the late Bobby Seymore (sp?) a double neck Bigsby about 12 years ago, The "Bob Meadows" guitar.
Anybody know where that wound up?

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2024 2:06 pm    

Jim- you’ll be happy know the Bob Meadows guitar is now in the capable hands of Chris Scruggs.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 4:10 pm    

I don’t know anything about a Bigsby guitar but who would give 20k for that?
Also, if someone replaced the necks from aluminum to wood, looks like a great job. They even made the keyheads wood.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 4:48 pm    

Bigsbys are very highly (or were) collectible.

Also, they could be ordered with aluminum or wood necks (all one-piece from tailstock to keyhead), so I’m sure this was done by Paul and crew at Bigsby.

Famous story of Buddy Emmons hacksawing the aluminum neck sections out of his Bigsby and replacing them with wood to deal with tuning instability.

Bet that’s why Mr. Affeldt got rid of the aluminum necks.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 5:09 pm    

Thanks Bill, yes I knew they were a collectors item but didn’t know 20k worth.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 6:30 pm    

Henry - In 2007, the Bud Issacs “Slowly” Bigsby listed here on the forum for $60,000!

It sold, but the final price was not disclosed.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=115643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2024 9:34 pm    

demand for Bigsby’s has been on decline last several years , I think high dollar Bigsby’s are history … people who would pay high dollar were successful wealthy business owners , and collectors … Bigsby is not very usable now days , and this one , if it sells, it’ll probably go to a collector … but like I said , those guys are harder and harder to find … I traded my T8 Bigsby few years ago for $8000 and D10 GFI , and it was in fantastic condition , with a brand new custom case I paid $700 for … this one would sell in a heart beat about 10-15 years ago for this money , but today , I’m not too sure … it may sell for around $8000 , but I highly doubt he’ll get $20K for it … but I may be wrong , it wouldn’t be the first time …

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2024 3:07 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
demand for Bigsby’s has been on decline last several years , I think high dollar Bigsby’s are history … people who would pay high dollar were successful wealthy business owners , and collectors … Bigsby is not very usable now days , and this one , if it sells, it’ll probably go to a collector … but like I said , those guys are harder and harder to find … I traded my T8 Bigsby few years ago for $8000 and D10 GFI , and it was in fantastic condition , with a brand new custom case I paid $700 for … this one would sell in a heart beat about 10-15 years ago for this money , but today , I’m not too sure … it may sell for around $8000 , but I highly doubt he’ll get $20K for it … but I may be wrong , it wouldn’t be the first time …

correct.. like many antiques, there gets to be a point where there are just too few buyers at a certain price point... Very few people can spend 20K on a musical instrument of any type,and in a downturned economy that number diminishes even further.. Vintage electrics were being sold like mad in the late 90's-early 2000's because you could still get a good deal, sit on it for a few years and then sell at a profit... nowadays, very few can afford a strat or tele from the mid 60's for $25-35K.. Those that can are wealthy collectors, and are looking for very specific items... the stuff that sells quickly these days, are refins, repaired, modified vintage instruments that can be bought more reasonably and played without worrying too much about it getting broken or stolen.

At some point, potential buyers just walk away from ever increasing, insanely high prices..

There's a flip side to this scenario however, you really never know-

we all know the old adage-"there's an ass for every seat".. A contact paper, 3&1 Sho Bud Maverick sold recently on ebay for $1650+tax +$160 shipping... Someone paid the better part of 2 K for a Maverick... Not something I would do. There are still sellers out there hoping that someone will pay outrageous prices, and will wait them out, and I guess sometimes that mindset does work.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......