The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana 100 head
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 12:16 pm    

I have had a Katana 100 for a while now but it has never suited me. I have read that downloading the apps would improve it. For hours I tried to down load but could never get it to recognize I had the drivers. I am thinking this thing is not for me. Nothing should be this aggravating.

I had to carry trash to the dump and the thought crossed my mind to take it. Maybe next time.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 1:19 pm    

Bill, sorry to hear that. I had troubles in the beginning and i think using a different cable may have been the solution. Is there anyone near you who might help? It's really a decent amp once you get the thing going. I know it's a printer cable but they are not all created equal. Some don't do proper data transfer. I had a similar issue with the Nux amp Academy and it took buying 3 cables to get one that worked. The Wal-Mart cable didn't work even through it was rated properly. I can't swear that on the Katana but I know I tried more than one cable.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 4:57 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Bill, sorry to hear that. I had troubles in the beginning and i think using a different cable may have been the solution. Is there anyone near you who might help? It's really a decent amp once you get the thing going. I know it's a printer cable but they are not all created equal. Some don't do proper data transfer. I had a similar issue with the Nux amp Academy and it took buying 3 cables to get one that worked. The Wal-Mart cable didn't work even through it was rated properly. I can't swear that on the Katana but I know I tried more than one cable.

I have had respect for Roland/Boss products, have had and still use a Cube 60 amp for guitar and have several Boss pedals. However, no way and no how should a company offer a product with update abilities being so aggravating to access.
I down loaded and could see the apps, but the required drivers would never work. It kept telling me they were not installed.

Right now I am too disgusted to mess with the stupid computerized mess.

Roland/Boss need some new application design and implementation engineers.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 1:21 pm    

I suspect it is the cable you use between the computer and the Katana. I had the same issues. It requires a USB A to USB B cable, which is at least 20 years old. I just searched around in a drawer of old cables and found one. I got the same result as you, so I replaced it with a new cable. I believe the specs on the cables have changed, though the plugs look the same. They are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH11KIK/

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 3:15 pm    

Jon Jaffe wrote:
I suspect it is the cable you use between the computer and the Katana. I had the same issues. It requires a USB A to USB B cable, which is at least 20 years old. I just searched around in a drawer of old cables and found one. I got the same result as you, so I replaced it with a new cable. I believe the specs on the cables have changed, though the plugs look the same. They are cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH11KIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thank you, Jon. I ordered the cable you listed I will try once more.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 3:25 pm    

You may have a driver problem. Sometimes drivers need to be completely uninstalled from a system before reinstalling for any reason, or installing updates.Some drivers are just finicky.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 2:24 am    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
You may have a driver problem. Sometimes drivers need to be completely uninstalled from a system before reinstalling for any reason, or installing updates.Some drivers are just finicky.

A company such as Roland should have the ability to offer usable updates that are more user friendly. Even getting to and installing the updates is so convoluted and confusing to the point of ridiculous.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 3:39 am    

Bill I agree. The Fender was easy to do updates. But Fender dropped the earlier Mustang v2 support when they introduced newer models. I have the ToneMaster Twin now and 2 of the older Mustang IIIs. An aftermarket app still works but for how long? Makes me leery of software supported equipment. Same with tablets, phones and computers. I have several that are obsolete.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 4:21 am    

Larry, I am with you on that. I want to play my guitar not a computer. Years ago I came to the realization that if I plugged into an amp and could not get a pleasing sound without a knob twisting session it will not be the one for me.

I am not saying that a little tweek won't be required, just that a bad sounding amp will still be bad sounding after a half hour of knobs twisting.

Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 4:57 am    

Bill Duncan wrote:
Larry, I am with you on that. I want to play my guitar not a computer. Years ago I came to the realization that if I plugged into an amp and could not get a pleasing sound without a knob twisting session it will not be the one for me.

I am not saying that a little tweek won't be required, just that a bad sounding amp will still be bad sounding after a half hour of knobs twisting.

I'm with you on that!

In my opinion that amp tries to do too much and is overly complicated & fussy to dial in as a result.
I considered returning it at first, but eventually found a tone I'm happy with after a lot of frustration and experimentation (that I've never gone through with Peavey, Fender, Quilter amps which are easy to dial in within the first few minutes).

Ultimately I'm glad I kept it but it was not an immediate bond that's for sure.

One useful 'hidden' feature of the 1 x 12 100 watt Katana is that on its side, it's the same height as my pac-a-seat for when I want to travel extra light Laughing

stewcrookes.com

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 5:13 am    

Stew, I have the Katana 100 head. If all fails I believe the Boss emblem will make a target spot..... ...........Then to the dump.

Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 11:51 am    

Bill Duncan wrote:
Stew, I have the Katana 100 head. If all fails I believe the Boss emblem will make a target spot..... ...........Then to the dump.

Laughing

stewcrookes.com