The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John David Call's Shobud
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 5:39 pm    

Ordered this week and just got the Pure Prairie Leaque Greatest Hit's CD. Has most of the songs you guys have mention. Enjoying very much. I think I missed most of this due to Ray Price and Buck Owens and Haggard. But there is a lot to be said about them. They had their own thing going on. J.R.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 1:55 am    

John lives about 30 miles from me and we talk some when he’s not too busy. PPL is still touring and doing several shows. He told me that he went direct on a lot of the stuff they recorded into a Neive console. The guitar he used was a red Pro 111 sho bud. He plays the Day set up with his E to F# change on a knee lever(no C pedal). He was a tremendous influence on me when first started and still is. He also told me Paul Franklin Sr and Dwayne Marrs built that guitar. I keep telling him he needs to get on the forum here. Maybe some day😁

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 11:14 am     JD Call

I heard PPL playing live on WMMS in Cleveland one night. I went and bought their album the next day. When I heard the first track,(Tears) I knew I had to learn pedal steel. Worked the entire summer on 3 different farms bailing hay and picking vegetables to buy one. Ended up with a Fender student model. About 3 years later I got to hear John play in a band called Six Shooter in Athens OH. Great memories and I can't say enough about how friendly John was and how much he influenced me.

Barry Barnes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 11:00 am     John David Call

John lives about 15 miles away. We still talk frequently. He came to the house yesterday and brought his steel of course. His copedant is Jimmy Day but I play Emmons. He still has patience to teach me stuff. What an incredible guy and friend. Just got off the phone with him over an hour long. He is so witty. He said we're over the hill and hitting rocks on the other side...LOL. He also played in my band "Loose Pockets" between 2005 and 2013 every Tuesday night at The Dock on Water. So many memories. Friends since 1975. I'm blessed with friends like JD.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 11:15 am    

Lots of vinyl including HQ conversions of PPL on Youtube with great tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyBO5umj6_Q&list=PLz6cAheObZcjDL36pv5GfOTsI0pwnt-n2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 10:22 am    

So funny, maybe my cognitive dissonance at my age is kicking in. I did a search on the forum here totally forgetting about my original post back in 2007 and here I have landed again. I have to say I stand by what I said about that first PPL album.

Dave, it was John Call on the first album BTW.

Greg, was John playing on Jazzman?
Great !@$ playing.

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2024 6:04 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8eCm58Hfw

"Tears"

Listen to this production.
Just electric guitar, bass drums, and steel, maybe an acoustic guitar. Tons of energy/vocal harmony
Little to no reverb. I myself tire of modern production burying steel in reverb.
John Calls playing is a good example of what can be done with the first two E9 pedals.
Gotta love his rhythm riff too.

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 12:26 pm    

Very steel centric record and formative country rock. Craig Fuller singer/songwriter/guitarist got his career ripped out from under him. About the time “Amie” came out, Craig was dodging the vietnam war draft and left for Canada. He was convicted as a draft dodger shortly after. Thank you, Vince Gille for taking his place performing.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 12:41 pm    

I thought the Goshorns followed Craig Fuller ahead of Vince but I could be wrong...it's happened before and I'm also getting long in the tooth 🤓

https://youtu.be/D6jm2WQ8Vfk?si=y1HqfQzbfPxwJdyw
I know we could post cuts of PPL stuff all day long but I'm going to spare you and post just this one...[but while you're there check out some others from the side bar..f.i. Sister's Keeper, Memories for more of Mr. Call's playing....well, the whole album really]

The Believe It cut has a personal meaning for me as I was going through a bad breakup at the time, but listen to John David's steel guitar....if that ain't enough to make you cry, I don't know what is.

As I stated before, this 2 Lane disc was one of the most significant influences on my steel guitar journey. I have just about all of their recordings, but this is the one I listen to the most.

I used to play this and a couple more LPs when I first started playing and try to mimic the great steel guitar parts...still trying 😞