The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar stands / tables / etc
Michael Simpkins

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 3:19 pm    

Hi y'all

Been looking for some sort of table or stand to have my lap steel on when I play. I currently have it on, well, my lap but that gets a bit cumbersome. Also have put it on my computer desk which is nice while watching lesson videos, but it's a bit high. So, despite scouring home depot and IKEA, I haven't found much. Adjustable is preferable....and compact.

Thanks!

Last edited by Michael Simpkins on 24 Mar 2024 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 3:26 pm    

Hard to beat a Deluxe34, but be advised -- they don't come cheaply.

Michael Simpkins

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 3:32 pm    

Wow those are cool! And nearly as expensive as my guitar! This might be something to look toward though. Will it fit double guitars?

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 8:14 pm    

Lap steels fit quite nicely on a walker - you know, the kind with wheels on the back legs and tennis balls over the front feet. The rubber covered hand rails which make up the top have nice holding power for the steel, and the legs are adjustable for height. Not exactly a chick magnet, if that is part of your deal, though. Very cheap at used medical appliance places. And they fold pretty flat. I prefer the Deluxe 34 stand, myself, but I'm independently wealthy (cough, cough!).

Good luck in your search.

Michael Simpkins

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 9:58 pm    

I think I saw this mentioned earlier in a different thread. You're right not the sexiest option on the menu but I'm certainly not looking too impress. My steel is probably the finest looking thing in the house! I'll give this a look and see how it is, the expandable legs definitely make a difference. Thanks for the tip!

Roger Fletcher

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 11:50 pm    

Or how about a keyboard stand?

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 4:38 am    

More ideas in this old thread. Including my breakdown amazon table and piece of plywood! https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=395969&highlight=

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 7:09 am    

Michael Simpkins wrote:
Will it fit double guitars?

Yes indeed, with custom brackets, a Deluxe34 can be adapted for two instruments:

Michael Simpkins

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 7:15 am    

Jim Pollard wrote:
More ideas in this old thread. Including my breakdown amazon table and piece of plywood! https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=395969&highlight=

Thanks! I may be going with the DIY option for now. Actually hoping to save a chunk to put toward a new string slab. So far it's the Amazon or the AARP option.

Those Deluxe 34s are really slick though. What a niche industry

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 7:56 am    

Michael Simpkins wrote:
Jim Pollard wrote:

Thanks! I may be going with the DIY option for now. Actually hoping to save a chunk to put toward a new string slab. So far it's the Amazon or the AARP option.

Those Deluxe 34s are really slick though. What a niche industry

See my thread "Would you use a toilet seat frame for a stand?" (or something like that). I went with a toilet seat frame from Amazon and put a piece of plywood on top. The thing jiggled around too much for my tastes and ate up a lot of space in my small playroom. So I went with the Asher stand. Got a discounted price on it ($285), and recently saw them on sale for $287 on Reverb.

I'm glad I got it. It's height adjustable so you can play standing if you feel like it, unlike the toilet seat stand or a walker. It's very stable, and it doesn't eat up a lot of space. Honestly, if you think you're going to stick with lap steel, just bite the proverbial bullet and get one.

Christopher Blood

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 10:16 am    

I agree that the deluxe 34 are top notch, BUT if you plan on doing a lot of playing standing up pony up for the 4 leg version.
Mine is fine sitting down but gets a bit tippy when fully extended for standing. If I would have known that when buying I would have spent the extra money for the extra leg.
I wonder if my 3 leg stand could be converted to 4?

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2024 3:00 pm    

I don't think the Deluxe 34 is even being sold anymore. Asher took over the stand biz from them. They only have a 4-leg stand.

Michael Simpkins

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 1:51 am    

I work in healthcare and was at work, look what crossed my path, a medical bedside table! Adjustable height, and even a little drawer that slides out for picks and bars and such. Problem solved. Thanks for all your ideas, I'll have to save up for a proper one.

I'd post a pic but it's not working for some reason on my phone

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 9:02 pm    

I mounted a t-nut to a piece of plywood about the size of the steel to make a platform, and use a camera tripod. The camera bolt on the tripod screws into the plywood top.i used some small pieces of Velcro to hold the steel on the platform, but a rubber mat would probably be fine. Nice and light and adjustable.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2024 12:36 pm    

A keyboard stand works great, too. Fairly easy to come by and more than sufficient for a double console steel

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time