The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An additional flight case option?
Tim Windsor

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 2:12 am    

I’ve started needing to fly my steel for some shows, and like many here I’ve been keen to replace my standard case with something light but sturdy for flying that will not exceed size and weight limits. I’ve come across various informative threads like this one https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=267957&sid=940d7f6aba7680a736fc1fa648b312d2 that have been really helpful. Having had trouble sourcing the SKB case locally that many have found to be a good solution (I’m in Australia) I stumbled across this Nanuk case that has almost exactly the same internal dimensions as the SKB.
https://nanuk.com/products/nanuk-985
I took a punt and ordered one. It arrived today and looks good; it seems that my GFI ultra SD10 plus pedal bar and legs will all squeeze in (may be touch and go whether it comes in under our airline limit of 23kgs with the legs in there, but I can report back on that when I know).

My question for those who have fitted out a similar case - does anyone have suggestions/strategies for how to best protect the key head / keep things stable inside the case ? It came with foam that can be cut to size to protect the sides but I appreciate that a thin foam layer at the bottom may not be sufficient to protect the key head.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 1:40 pm    

Some carry the pedal bar and rods in a separate small tactical gun bag as a carry on in overhead. Not sure this helps but it's been posted. That might draw suspicion so maybe not.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 2:19 pm     Re: An additional flight case option?

Tim Windsor wrote:
...does anyone have suggestions/strategies for how to best protect the key head / keep things stable inside the case?...

some ideas here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3184431#3184431

Tim Windsor

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2024 2:25 pm    

Thank you- that thread has some great info