The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Identification Help Needed
Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 5:55 pm    

Can someone please help identify this mistreated guitar? Is it an MSA Classic?

Jeremy JT Young

Loretto Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 10:32 pm     Msa ?

I talked to the owner and he referred to Midified several times. I have an old sidekick, looks like a sidekick changer not the heavier classic. I saw another forum post that said they thought it was a rebooted sidekick. Only has 1 KL. I was interested in it for parts if it were a sidekick my son has one he's redoing.
JT Young, Nashville LTD SD10,MSA Classic D10, Baggett Custom S10, Payne S10, 1976 Sierra Olympic S12 Ext.E9th, Hudson Deluxe 6, 2 2x12 Fender Blues Devilles, 1x12 Fender Blues Deluxe, Nashville 112 w Celestion, Boss Katana, Telonics, Peterson, Boss, Goodrich, Electro Harmonix

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 3:41 am    

Pictures of the bottom side....

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 8:23 pm    

As far as being an MSA Classic.

The MSA Classic had an aluminum back apron with screws to hold the outer cover in place, Removing the cover gave access to cross shaft for removal and replacement.

The bar at the back bottom of the changer looks to have split tuning screws, Original MSA Classic did not have split tuning screws.

The changer end plate has a row of screws below the nylon tuner window. Looks like adjustable Lower Return Spring adjustment screws. MSA Classic, Did not have adjustable Lower Return Adjustment Screws.

A picture of MSA Classic SN 1C2921. The shelf behind the neck has the black pad added to it.
The 6 screws shown attach back apron cover for access to cross rods.

Here is a better picture of the offset in body.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 4:59 pm    

It has some MSA parts, key head, fretboard, the pedals look like MSA but lack the crosshatching.
It could be good or not so good, but it’s not a true MSA.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 6:54 pm    

I think after they quit building the Classic series, They built a guitar called The Super-Sustain, That was a single neck with no shelf on the back/what some call a 3/4 body. I have seen some pictures but never seen 1 in person.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2024 8:09 pm    

There was another series of MSA guitars after the Classic, It was called Semi-Classic.

You may want to get on MSA's website, E-mail them the serial number, They may have records on the guitar and can help you.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 4:17 am    

Okay, here's what I'll postulate after looking more closely:

It has a pull/release changer and short (5-step) keyhead blocks with a non-step body, so it can't be a Classic. I eliminated it being a Semi-Classic because the that guitar had unique (but decent) aluminum endplates (so there'd have been no need to make new endplates), and the Semi also had an all-pull changer. The "mystery guitar" also has the D-shape pillow blocks, so we can rule out it being a Pro-Am, Pro-Am Sidekick, or Mini-Pro. With all that considered, I'm pretty confident it's either a dolled-up Sidekick or a Red Baron, but I'm leaning more towards the Sidekick model, because most (but not all) of the Red Barons had black painted keyhead blocks.

Cool

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 4:28 am    

Still would like to see bottom of the guitar

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2024 11:36 am    

The changer looks All Pull MSA, But has had split tuning screws place in the back bar of the changer.
That may have been one of the modification done by the previous owner, Along with the Adjustable lower return springs.

That back bar is attached to the changer, By the back 2 bolts that hold the changer rod end blocks to the body.