Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weird sound from my PSG.
Jared Wehry

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 1:28 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Jared Wehry wrote:

Kinda my thought.. any recommendations for a decent pickup that won’t break the bank?

I really like the pickups I've gotten from Scott Swartz.

https://www.steeltronics.com/

He happens to make a wonderful reproduction of a ZB pickup but I have a feeling that your ZB student model doesn't have the classic ZB pickup in it. You need to talk with him and make sure you are on the same page regarding what you want in terms of single coil, humbucker, wide mount, narrow mount etc.

I’ll definitely check him out. I’m going to start by changing the input jack. I tried soldering it again. Took it apart and cleaned everything with alcohol and put it back together but no change. However I’m almost sure the input jack is original to the guitar which I was told was from the 70s?…

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2024 1:28 pm    

Jared Wehry wrote:
Howard Parker wrote:
Where in PA are you. Might well be some local folks that can help you pin this down!

h

I’m from central Pa. About an hour north of Harrisburg.

If you are on Facebook there's this group:

"PA MD NJ Pedal Steel Players"
Public group
·
h

Jared Wehry

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 9:24 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Hard to tell from the limited information. Do you get the noise at all volume levels? Or, is is something that affects only certain strings? Is it worse with chords?

Along with the cell-phone interference that Ken spoke of, you can get noise from nearby computers, laptops, tablets, TV sets, and monitors.

Also, useable amps can be had for $40-$75 from craigslist, ebay, or pawnshops. Sometimes, even music stores sell cheapie amps that will free you from using the DAW for everything.

Noise at all volume levels, affects all strings but definitely more noticeable on chords. I feel like I’m far enough away from electronics.

ZB Custom 3x1

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2024 11:16 am    

Does the cable jack feel like it’s snapping into the input jack? Maybe the tip arm needs to be bent back in a little.

Two more things to check off
- the cable itself. An unshielded cable might be picking up some interference that might not be noticed when connecting to a lower output device like a Telecaster pickup but is more present with the steel guitar.
-Is there any buzzing sound when you play unplugged?

There isn’t much left to troubleshoot. The fuzz occurs at any volume level at the amp, interface, or the volume pedal, which is weird. It would make more sense if the fuzz tone gets more pronounced with volume increase, like a high output pickup would do.

I would set aside a day for systematic process of elimination. Everything you’ve done so far - do it again.

Jared Wehry

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 10:12 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Does the cable jack feel like it’s snapping into the input jack? Maybe the tip arm needs to be bent back in a little.

Two more things to check off
- the cable itself. An unshielded cable might be picking up some interference that might not be noticed when connecting to a lower output device like a Telecaster pickup but is more present with the steel guitar.
-Is there any buzzing sound when you play unplugged?

There isn’t much left to troubleshoot. The fuzz occurs at any volume level at the amp, interface, or the volume pedal, which is weird. It would make more sense if the fuzz tone gets more pronounced with volume increase, like a high output pickup would do.

I would set aside a day for systematic process of elimination. Everything you’ve done so far - do it again.

Brand new gold plated jack and no difference. The fuzziness also occurs when I play the guitar unplugged. I’ve literally taken apart the entire thing and cleaned all the moving parts. I did find out that I have a Lace Alumitone pickup. I’ve also tried different cables. I am going to order a new set of strings even though I changed strings on it within the last month but just another avenue to try. I am seriously about to throw thing in the river if it weren’t for my love of the instrument.

ZB Custom 3x1

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 11:10 am    

Jared Wehry wrote:

The fuzziness also occurs when I play the guitar unplugged.

Wait... what? Do you think this acoustic fuzziness sounds similar to whatever you're hearing when it's electrified in the signal chain? If so, that's a whole other thing and a new pickup probably wouldn't address it.

Really grasping at straws here on this acoustic angle, but are you by chance a new player? Did you maybe string up the guitar with the strings running in the CRACKS of the changer? Because they're supposed to run over the middle of the smooth shiny top of each of those fingers. A long shot, but I had to ask.

Do you have a known good bar that isn't, say, a sitar bar? Or are you maybe not holding the bar down firmly on the strings, so there's a little string buzz?
To test that: just play with no bar. Still have fuzziness?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 11:47 am    

Quote:
My pickup is not adjustable as far as height without me taking it off and physically removing a spacer underneath.

Time to remove the pickup and inspect that spacer.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 12:15 pm    

Just for the heck of it, how about a couple of pictures of the changer, the undercarriage the roller, keyhead, et al.? Maybe some eagle-eyes can spot something wrong.

Jared Wehry

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 1:23 pm    

I’m not a new player but I’m by no means a professional haha. I’ve played in a gospel band for over 20 years. The guitar was given to me years ago.

ZB Custom 3x1

Jared Wehry

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 1:31 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Jared Wehry wrote:

The fuzziness also occurs when I play the guitar unplugged.

Wait... what? Do you think this acoustic fuzziness sounds similar to whatever you're hearing when it's electrified in the signal chain? If so, that's a whole other thing and a new pickup probably wouldn't address it.

Really grasping at straws here on this acoustic angle, but are you by chance a new player? Did you maybe string up the guitar with the strings running in the CRACKS of the changer? Because they're supposed to run over the middle of the smooth shiny top of each of those fingers. A long shot, but I had to ask.

Do you have a known good bar that isn't, say, a sitar bar? Or are you maybe not holding the bar down firmly on the strings, so there's a little string buzz?
To test that: just play with no bar. Still have fuzziness?

Yeah I swear I’m not crazy haha…. But open without the bar they have a little fuzz to them too. I don’t know what brand bar because it came with the guitar and I’ve had it for over 15 years. Would a picture of the bar help identify it? Or maybe it needs polished

ZB Custom 3x1

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 3:22 pm    

Thanks, no need to photograph the bar if it still fuzzes when not using it.

I like Fred's idea about the pickup mounting being shaky... or something. Maybe take a look at that when changing strings?

All kinds of folks here could probably solve this quickly in person, but over the internet, without hearing it, is a different story. As you can see. Smile

Jared Wehry

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2024 3:26 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Thanks, no need to photograph the bar if it still fuzzes when not using it.

I like Fred's idea about the pickup mounting being shaky... or something. Maybe take a look at that when changing strings?

All kinds of folks here could probably solve this quickly in person, but over the internet, without hearing it, is a different story. As you can see. Smile

Yeah I know what you mean. Anyone live close by Northumberland PA haha….. I am going to try and get underneath the pickup as it looks like it’s a piece of plywood. The correct pickup height is roughly two quarters on the high and low strings correct? I know it’s more complicated than that but at least a start

ZB Custom 3x1

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2024 8:43 pm    

The pick up isn't hitting the strings is it? Looks close in the pic. Ron

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2024 11:18 pm    

What is the changer fingers made out of? They look like they may be stainless steel.

Some strings will work harden from being bent over the hard changer finger, When they harden they will raise up off the finger ever so little. But enough to make a weird, Near sitar sound.

I play a guitar with Stainless Steel sintered metal fingers and have to change strings often. Especially the 4th string because it is bent being lowered and raised. It starts the Fuzzzzzy sound first.