Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 6:21 am    

Both at the height of their powers ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNLgQNvV4Q

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 7:31 am    

David just kept getting better, and more interesting. Check out this concert from 2000. Just him and a phenomenal percussionist. He plays a primitive mid-eastern instrument on the last few songs.

https://youtu.be/LQo1kU09Hvk?si=uyqNwH5_8ltIDLef

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2024 8:24 am    

Wow, thanks Andy. What a bitter-sweet score to get to hear this recording.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 8:13 am    

David Lindley kills on banjo, fiddle, slide guitar, resonator, acoustic guitar... it's nice that Jackson just turned the stage over to him at one point to do a solo mini-set on his various instruments.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 9:03 am    

Their cover of Runaway encapsulates everything that was so great about Lindley ... a wonderful sense of humor plus amazing tone, touch and overall musicianship and sensitivity to other musicians. His solo is so good! I also love his version of "I"m so lonesome I could cry." I proudly stole what I could from that one - simple yet profound.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 4:34 pm     "Primitive mid-eastern instrument"

The "primitive mid-eastern instrument" is a Turkish Saz. As common and popular in Turkey as the guitar is in the USA and also used in northern Iran, Iraq, and Syria. Made in many body sizes, scale lengths, and string configurations. Some current builders make chambered, full solid body, and multi-neck instruments with combinations of magnetic and transducer pickups. Upscale models include built-in phasers or chorus units. Saz is the ancestor of the Greek bouzouki-tzoura-baglama instrument family and the Lebanese-Syrian Buzuq.
MLA

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 12:09 pm     Re:

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
The "primitive mid-eastern instrument" is a Turkish Saz. As common and popular in Turkey as the guitar is in the USA and also used in northern Iran, Iraq, and Syria. Made in many body sizes, scale lengths, and string configurations. Some current builders make chambered, full solid body, and multi-neck instruments with combinations of magnetic and transducer pickups. Upscale models include built-in phasers or chorus units. Saz is the ancestor of the Greek bouzouki-tzoura-baglama instrument family and the Lebanese-Syrian Buzuq.
MLA

Thanks, Michael!

Since you obviously know about this stuff, is this instrument played by a guy in Altin Gun also a Saz? If you've never heard this band before, it's worth checking out some videos.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2024 6:23 pm     Saz

Yes, that is a saz. In Turkey most people would refer to it as an ElectroSaz so it's not confused with the original "folkloric' acoustic instrument. Looks like two generic bar magnet humbuckers from China, volume and tone controls, and on-off or off-single coil-hum bucker toggles for each pickup. I've bought sets of them with and without the coil tapping feature.
I wasn't familiar with this group but it looks like they have lots of videos up and have been around for several years. Only the female vocalist and sax player are Turkish, the other four members are Europeans. There are a number of groups like this in Turkey, basically Turkish language pop-rock with ElectroSazes and sometimes an ud or qanun added.
I hate typing this stuff in English as it is a constant battle with auto-fill and spell-check that I can't disable. That's why I have to keep it short.
MLA

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 7:44 am     Re: Saz

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
Yes, that is a saz. In Turkey most people would refer to it as an ElectroSaz so it's not confused with the original "folkloric' acoustic instrument. Looks like two generic bar magnet humbuckers from China, volume and tone controls, and on-off or off-single coil-hum bucker toggles for each pickup. I've bought sets of them with and without the coil tapping feature.
I wasn't familiar with this group but it looks like they have lots of videos up and have been around for several years. Only the female vocalist and sax player are Turkish, the other four members are Europeans. There are a number of groups like this in Turkey, basically Turkish language pop-rock with ElectroSazes and sometimes an ud or qanun added.
I hate typing this stuff in English as it is a constant battle with auto-fill and spell-check that I can't disable. That's why I have to keep it short.
MLA

My son saw them in Milwaukee fairly recently and really liked them. After that, I looked them up and found I like them, too. But I've long had a liking for Turkish pop. There's a lot of it on YouTube.