The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Whoda Thunk....Not Me
Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 3:39 pm    

Nobody ever told me that pedal steels develop loose legs.
Playing last night and the 5th string, after pushing the the 1st pedal, did not return to pitch. No problem Sam, just tune it up. Well to make my story shorter it did not stay. I backed off the pull rod, retuned and it stayed one time. The 10th string then also started acting up. Oh boy BIG problems. Swore a little, shut down and said I'd face it in the morning.

Set up the fix me up table and while placing the guitar on it I noticed the legs were loose. Not a little but quite a few turns loose

Hmm, could this be the problem?How would that affect tuning?

Ona Whim, I tightened the legs, flipped it over, tuned up and wadda ya know?
Yup problem solved.

So my question is how do the legs work loose? I do not move this psg from it's perch.

Never heard of this before in all my 3 years playing. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Sam

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 4:02 pm    

I've had it happen a few times, even at home.Maybe it's a good idea to do the tighten-up every so often.

THEN you can get mellow! Winking

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 5:20 pm    

Front legs, back legs, or both? Since the pedal bar attaches to the front legs, I can see why loose legs might create a tuning problem, especially one or two full turns. Back legs, I dunno. Maybe something worked back into place when you flipped the guitar upside down?

I started putting plumber’s teflon tape on the leg screw threads of my Carter because they would wobble loose. It helped keep them snug.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 7:57 pm    

The strings require a stable platform so they don’t detune. When legs are loose, the body flexes and bends slightly, and the tuning goes out. As far as why they work loose, that’s caused by pedal and lever movement, and also by string vibration and temperature variations. Threaded fasteners just have a tendency to work loose over time, that’s why they invented lock washers and Loc-tite. Oh Well

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 6:20 am    

Fred all four legs were loose. tightened and problem solved, nothing found when first turned over.

I appreciate all the recomendations and will start with the teflon tape, although loctite would be ok for me because I do not disassemble and transport the guitar.

Thanks for all the replies, this forum never let's me down. I have lerned a lot in the short time on here (2 years)

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 6:50 am    

Someone here suggested rubber o rings like for plumbing etc. These work for me to keep the legs stable and tight plus makes them easier to get loose in the event you might want to break it down...probably not desirable in your case...but...

#7 or #8 Danco rubber o rings from the hdwe. store. Both 3/8 in i.d., but the #8 is a little thicker at 9/16 OD while the #7 is 1/2 OD.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 2:40 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Someone here suggested rubber o rings like for plumbing etc. These work for me to keep the legs stable and tight plus makes them easier to get loose in the event you might want to break it down.

Hi Jerry,

I think that "someone" was me. Very Happy

There is a wide deep groove on most pedal steel guitar legs between the threaded portion and the leg itself, and that groove on my Emmons guitar is 3/8" in diameter.
I popped a 3/8" internal diameter O-ring into that groove on each guitar leg ("#7 O-ring": 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID x 1/16" thick). Using a 3/8" ID o-ring keeps it from falling off the leg when in the case.
[I have tried other size o-rings, but the #7 o-rings seem to work the best. Thicker o-rings seem to allow the legs to wobble.]

The O-ring compresses when the leg is tightened and keeps the leg from loosening while playing, yet it is very easy to un-tighten the leg when packing up.

You can't beat the price: #7 O-rings are available in most hardware stores for about $1 for four o-rings, and they last for many years.

About once a year, I put a tiny dab of teflon plumber's grease or Vaseline on the leg threads to reduce the wear of metal on metal when threading and un-threading the legs, but it is the O-rings that are keeping the legs tight.

- Dave

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 4:37 pm    

...ah, so credit due Dave. Sorry, I couldn't remember where I read it I just knew it wasn't my idea.

Thanks for the idea and sharing it with us. It works great for me on the D10.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 11:06 pm    

No worries, Jerry.

I got the idea years ago when I read about Bobbe Seymour drilling threaded holes in his Emmons push-pull end-plates so he could insert 1/4" bolts to keep the legs from unscrewing.

I didn't want to have to drill holes in my steel guitar, so I thought an rubber o-ring washer might keep the legs in place.

I was surprised that it worked so well!
Not all of my "brilliant" ideas do--just ask my wife! Very Happy

- Dave