The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Leg Muscle Endurance Exercises
Kyle Minor

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 1:10 pm    

Weird question for you. After I practice four or five hours, I start getting a pain and weakness in my left leg/left hip in what I think must be the small muscle that's pushing the pedals. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if there's a strengthening or opposing exercise that can offset what's happening here so it doesn't become a problem later. (And so I can increase the endurance in that leg so I can play longer.)

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2024 2:01 am    

a few years ago i had that kind of time to practice, and i also played a lot of gigs. i developed tendonitis in my volume pedal ankle. i had to wrap it an wear a brace to gigs, and even ice it between sets.

i find resting and relaxing to be the biggest challenge in letting any repetitive movement injury heal. it's also good preventative medicine.

when you feel the pain in your foot duing practice, stop using that foot. practice something else that doesn't involve pedals for a bit. move that foot away from the pedals completely so that it's position changes.

when you practice, try a warmup that includes using that pedal motion, but slow it down so that you can play it tension free. playing tension free is the key to technical prowess on any instrument anyhow.

pedal steel is a demanding instrument for your body and your brain, so relaxing while playing is very hard. if you have that kind of time for practice, break it up and watch a quick video of buddy emmons playing, then go back to practicing. he is so relaxed when he plays that any of it that rubs off is great.

good luck!