The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2 amps 2 speakers
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2024 7:07 pm    

So with one 202 I tried two speakers. One was quieter and brighter than the other when plugged in together. Tried 2 202’s with one speaker each, phase issues. Rewired one of the boxes, problem solved, they might have been out from the start but OK now. It pays to listen.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 8:59 am    

Randy Beavers told me to give 2 speakers a try. When adjusted correctly you might hear better out of both ears vs one. You might not always have room for 2 speakers, but when you do…For years I used a Stereo Steel rig with 2 speakers and liked it a lot, have missed the “surround”.

Now with the 2 202’s we are back. If you have to stack your speakers you can adjust the top and bottom accordingly, win win.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2024 2:42 pm    

There are several reasons why one speaker sounds louder in two-speaker applications. If one speaker is more efficient, then that speaker will sound louder. And if one speaker has a a lower impedance, then that speaker will sound louder because it will draw (read: get) more power from the amp. And if two speakers are different sizes, but have the same efficiency and the same impedance, then the larger speaker will sound louder because it has a larger radiating area.

As far as phasing issues, it’s been my experience that proper phasing becomes less important as the distance between the speakers increases. A phase issue that is very prominent when speakers are side-by-side or in the same cabinet will practically disappear if the speakers are on opposite sides of the stage. In addition, some really neat tonal effects can be had if speakers are out of phase, so it’s not always a bad thing! Winking