The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on JF Pick Imperfection?
Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 1:13 pm    

Hello-

Does anyone know the story behind the slight imperfection in the tip of JF Picks? Were they always like this? It wears off after a while and it is/was in a couple pairs that I bought years ago. I see it in a Reverb ad that is four years old, and my unused pair.

Just curious-Thanks

Here is the picture from the Reverb Ad:

And here is a picture of mine that I haven't used yet. (It wore off the ones I used):

P.S.- Here is the old Reverb ad with more pictures if anyone is interested: https://reverb.com/item/33119185-pedal-steel-jeffran-jf-fingerpicks-3-sets

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 2:56 pm    

Some of the later issues had that. I believe it was caused by they way they were being held while being bent. I would guess maybe a pair of side cutters/diagonals.

I've had some over the years like that. Maybe some that I have now. It never bothered me at all or caused any problems for me.

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 6:31 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Some of the later issues had that. I believe it was caused by they way they were being held while being bent. I would guess maybe a pair of side cutters/diagonals.

I've had some over the years like that. Maybe some that I have now. It never bothered me at all or caused any problems for me.

Thanks for responding, Jerry. I had a feeling that was the case and I appreciate the info! -Alex

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 8:33 am    

I have a couple pair but the quality is very poor. The material has various pits. The stamping appears to have been done on worn dies. The forming is awful.

Robert

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 5:19 pm    

Never knew this was an issue with the JF picks. I've had my two pair, I bleieve, since the late 70"s. Still use the initial pair and have tried others but wow, I'd be lost if anything happens to mine!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 6:13 pm    

These always came across to me as cheaply made. I get the impression that the only reason players liked these was because of the diamond-shape holes. Anything to be different, I guess. Oh Well

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 7:26 pm     Picks

I like them because I don’t have to shape them and I’ve used the same two pairs I bought back then in the early 80’s , I do however polish them and they will look like new when I’m finished

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 8:08 pm    

Back in 1981 I bought a pair of JFs and used them a lot, until the blades on the picks were very worn on one side, both picks. I saw Jeff at the St Louis convention that year and I showed him the picks, and he was shocked when he saw them! Fran looked at the picks and said “those must be from the first batch”. And she said something about "soft metal". Then Jeff said “I’ll give you a free set if you let me have those picks… I don’t want those out in the public”. Those were his exact words. He was pretty freaked out by the wear on those picks. I don’t think I used the second set much. I went back to Nationals.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 9 Mar 2024 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 9:10 pm    

The 2 picks on the left are JF picks, A friend gave me. I never liked the diamonds, Not much metal at edge of the diamonds allow them to bend into a hex instead of a round hole for your fingers. I could not play with them without loosing a pick. The kinks at the diamond hole, would catch on each other and 1 pick would go flying.

The picks on the right are Showcase 41's, I fitted them using a little hammer and a drill bit in vice, Had no trouble with them catching and flying off.

Both brands of picks are scarce as hens teeth today. Hard to find, And priced higher than OS.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 3:42 am    

I think Jerry is right it looks like a tool mark. If they are plated it could be from where the cathode wiring was landed on the pick so the electroplating process could occur.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Last edited by John Larson on 10 Mar 2024 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 2:31 pm     Jf

It might just be me but they were the worst I ever tried..quite uncomfortable.. Whoa!

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2024 8:41 pm    

Looks like I lucked out.
My JF picks fit like a glove, have zero imperfections, and play great.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89