The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Could lap steels use a built-in handle?
Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 5:07 pm    

It occurred to me that picking up and moving around a lap steel is a quite awkward compared to handling a guitar. Got me to wondering...has there ever been a lap steel with a built-in handle? Something like an open, rectangular area in the top, about mid-point, on the side facing the player--just enough to easily wrap your fingers around to pick it up and move it around when needed. Seems like a not bad idea. Would it appeal to anyone?

I'd draw a picture, but I'm drawing-challenged. Something along the lines of the Teisco monkey grip is what I'm talking about.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2024 8:08 pm    

Closest I can think of is the handles on the ends of Bigsbys (and Clinesmiths)

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 7:02 am    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:
Closest I can think of is the handles on the ends of Bigsbys (and Clinesmiths)

I'm kind of surprised more steels like that don't have handles.

Now all that one needs is a shoulder strap! Wink

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 9:27 am    

One also needs a swing out ash tray!

An unused neck on Tom Morrell’s T10 famously served as a beer stand…

I also got this pic saved, don’t know the source:

One simple accoutrement I wish my Fender had was a slightly indented/beveled spot somewhere on the sea of wood between the first two necks, a place to put a bar and picks, even if momentarily.
As is, an unattended bar is liable to roll off especially since it slopes off at the end!

Stringmasters handled this better, whether by design or mere coincidence… (pic not mine)

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 9:51 am    

I would consider anything with legs a console, not a lap steel. But that's just me...

For a true lap steel, I would consider any handle a solution in search of a problem that simply does not exist. Consoles may be a different story.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 10:39 am    

A hardware-store door handle or suitcase handle could easily be added. If you don't like it, fill in the screw holes and call it a cheap lesson learned.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 4:53 pm    

D Schubert wrote:
A hardware-store door handle or suitcase handle could easily be added. If you don't like it, fill in the screw holes and call it a cheap lesson learned.

Yeah, good idea! Would have to be low-profile so the instrument could fit in a case or bag, though. Something like this would work well:

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 6:25 pm     Funny you should mention this...

A few weeks ago I received a new lap steel that is quite heavy and wider than my hand can grip to pick it up when it's flat on the floor.

I play lap steel and fiddle in the band and switch between them often. I usually lay the lap steel next to me on the floor on top of the case while playing fiddle.

This is my current solution to make it easier to get the steel back on my lap. Just a strip of untanned leather with a couple conchos to keep it in place. Didn't have to drill any holes and it doesn't get in the way. It's just a strap that wraps all the way around with a 'tail' for a handle.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2024 7:55 pm    

I guess Tom Morrell was playing One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 5:41 am     Re: Funny you should mention this...

Michael Lester wrote:
A few weeks ago I received a new lap steel that is quite heavy and wider than my hand can grip to pick it up when it's flat on the floor.

I play lap steel and fiddle in the band and switch between them often. I usually lay the lap steel next to me on the floor on top of the case while playing fiddle.

This is my current solution to make it easier to get the steel back on my lap. Just a strip of untanned leather with a couple conchos to keep it in place. Didn't have to drill any holes and it doesn't get in the way. It's just a strap that wraps all the way around with a 'tail' for a handle.

Good idea! And somehow glad to see I'm not the only who realizes lap steels are awkward to move around.

BTW, what is the lap steel you have? Looks interesting.

EDIT: the other thing I've noticed is that no one makes a stand with a neck opening wide enough for a lap steel. At least I haven't seen one anywhere.

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 6:59 am     Lap steel 'handle'

Bob Allen built this for me out of rock ash. It weighs 13 lbs and is 6 1/2" wide. Was very difficult to pick up one handed from flat on the floor. This goofy handle really helped - plus, it's generated quite a bit of curiosity.

The extra length between the knobs and the bridge is to accommodate palm benders if I ever decide to install a set.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:19 am     Re: Lap steel 'handle'

Michael Lester wrote:
Bob Allen built this for me out of rock ash. It weighs 13 lbs and is 6 1/2" wide. Was very difficult to pick up one handed from flat on the floor. This goofy handle really helped - plus, it's generated quite a bit of curiosity.

The extra length between the knobs and the bridge is to accommodate palm benders if I ever decide to install a set.

13 lbs! Yeah, that's pretty heavy. Do you transport it in a case?

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 8:27 am    

The Ibanez Jem come to mind when I think of a guitar with a built-in handle.

[/img]

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 9:36 am     Lap steel

I transport it in a 61 key keyboard gig bag that I modified by adding 2 1/2" of rigid foam and fuzzy material spray glued to a 1/4" plywood sheet that is double sided carpet taped to the bottom of the bag.

It works just fine for hauling it around to the small gigs we do. Probably wouldn't be good as checked baggage, although the guitar is a tough one.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2024 12:11 pm     Re: Lap steel

Michael Lester wrote:
I transport it in a 61 key keyboard gig bag that I modified by adding 2 1/2" of rigid foam and fuzzy material spray glued to a 1/4" plywood sheet that is double sided carpet taped to the bottom of the bag.

It works just fine for hauling it around to the small gigs we do. Probably wouldn't be good as checked baggage, although the guitar is a tough one.

Cool mods on that keyboard bag!