Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel podcast ep 6: Christine Bougie
Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 8:31 pm    

Hey all,

Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Spotify

I'm stoked to share episode 6 of Steel, an interview with Christine Bougie. Christine is a wonderful lap steel player and guitarist based out of Toronto who plays with Bahamas, Sarah Harmer, Amy Milan and a bunch of other great Canadian musicians. I caught up with her on a trip back home to see my folks and it was a real treat to see her studio and chat with her.

Christine is an interesting steel player. She didn't listen to the steel guitar canon and learned the instrument in isolation, so I think she really developed her own style and doesn't play like anybody else. Gear is sort of irrelevant to her - she just plays one six string lap steel and has been using the same bar for over twenty years. It's really just about the music for her.

Folks here might want to check out her instrumental albums. Whistle Up a World is a 100% lap steel album, the steel plays all the parts - bass, drums, melodies, etc. Soft Start, her most recent release, is an ambient album with some very pretty lap steel textures.

Give it a listen if you're curious. Thanks!

Christine in her studio.

Christine's beloved Gibson Skylark

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 10:00 am    

I really appreciate the spotify and youtube playlists showcasing each guest’s work in the expanded description on each episode.
Keep up the good work Matt!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 3:21 pm    

I like Christine’s records. She is a deep musician.

Joseph Lazo

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 5:22 am    

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, looks like there are only 6 episodes on Spotify. I'm wondering if there are more than this. I really liked the one on Kashiah Hunter. Going to work my way through the other episodes and hope for more.

Marshall Woodall

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 7:23 am    

Great Job Matt. She's a very interesting and talented artist that I probably never would have known about if not for your podcast. Thank You!

Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 7:41 am    

Thanks all!

Mike, I totally agree.

Joseph, I‘ve only finished six episodes, so that’s all of them so far. More to come. I’m aiming for monthly but sometimes life slows me down a bit.

I won’t spoil the surprise but I’m very excited about Episode 7. I recorded it a few weeks ago and need to edit it.

Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 9:47 am    

I love Christine's music & playing. Great guitarist too, her work with Bahamas is super tasteful & in the pocket.

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee

Ellen Angelico

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 11:38 am    

Excellent episode, as usual! Thanks for turning me on to her music, really enjoying her records.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2024 9:46 am    

I enjoyed it. Loved the part where when she was starting out on lap she didn't know much about steel or tuning options or what other people were doing. Bought a used Gibson in C6 tuning, but didn't like the way the lower two strings were arranged, so just slapped on the notes that made sense to her ear.... and has never really used anything else.

E
C
A
G
C
G

Later, she learned that the power chord thing on the bottom was popular among lap steelers and that Jerry Byrd had this particular variation as one of his (many) tunings. I think she felt vindicated in a way for getting there by instinct.