The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  improving portability
Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 6:31 am    

I'd like to see anyone's clever ideas for reducing the weight/bulk when transporting their steel. I realize most of my reluctance to playing out more is lugging the guitar, amp, etc around.

My guitar is a Sierra S12. According to my bathroom scale measurements the guitar is 46.5lbs and the case is 23.6lbs. I haven't weighed it without the pedal bar and rods, the legs don't detach from the body.

This will be only me carrying it in my own car, so I don't need super protection. I have wood and metal fabrication abilities as well as some sewing skills, and I'm wondering if anyone ever tried some type of over-the-shoulder sling or anything like that.

I'd love to hear people's ideas

ps: that Sierra S10 3x2 in the For Sale section is very tempting, anyone want to buy an S12? Laughing

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 8:25 am    

Age, Weight, And the time tearing down and setting up a guitar, Will make a person do some thinking on the way a guitar travels. When I gigged a MSA Classic S10. I built a cover for it, And never put it in its case for years.

The cover is made of Marine Grade Naga Hyde, about 1 inch thick padding, And lined with crushed velvet. When I sold the guitar the cover went with the guitar.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 9:43 am    

Ditch the amp get one of the new modelers (Kemper, Fractal, Line 6 Helix, etc).

I wonder if a Line 6 Helix Stomp would cover all the bases for a PSG rig, just it, steel, volume pedal, and some way to DI.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 10:17 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
Age, Weight, And the time tearing down and setting up a guitar, Will make a person do some thinking on the way a guitar travels. When I gigged a MSA Classic S10. I built a cover for it, And never put it in its case for years.

Very interesting. I'll have to figure out if my Subaru is tall enough. Still wouldn't want to carry it up and down stairs tho(the steel, not the Subaru)

Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 10:19 am    

John Larson wrote:
Ditch the amp get one of the new modelers (Kemper, Fractal, Line 6 Helix, etc).

I have a Line 6 POD HD500X. I like it, but I've never been able to get used to not having an amp pointed at me.

I use a Roland Cube 80 which is pretty easy to carry. I've (almost) never regretted selling the Twin Reverb...

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 5:51 pm    

For years I drove a PT Cruiser on gigs. I always made a joke out of it, The Engineer who designed the PT Cruiser, Had night gigs with a S10 steel. I put the guitar in back set my seat and amp under the guitar. When you closed the hatch nothing would move. On present vehicle I have a padded load bar in the back and Bungy Chord the steel solid for travel.

A friend who got me into steel playing, Moves his guitar set up in a vehicle for like 50 years. The only guitar he ever had damaged, A driver rear ended him, Bent his guitars legs. The drivers insurance covered a new set of guitar legs, Plus fixed his car.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 6:22 pm    

I built this for a friend of mine who also gave up his case to lighten the load. hand truck for his amp and pack a seat and this for moving his steel.

Barry

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 7:48 pm    

Hatton Case...Fender tweed style...fits great, weighs nothing and sure is pretty....
and a dolly, not a hand truck, so you don't even have to hold half the weight...I can put my steel on it and seat, amp, speaker on top of that, a couple of bungies to keep it steady...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYN924YK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 5:16 am    

I made a heavy cloth cover for my steel with two straps and loaded the body into the case with the cover on so that I can remove the body and just carry the steel and the case separately.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 5:48 am    

Steve, that’s an interesting cart. On the Amazon link, that show a $90.00 unit that’s rated for 500 pounds and a $40.00 unit that’s rated at 400 pounds. Which one did you get?

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 5:49 am    

Steve, that’s an interesting cart. On the Amazon link, that show a $90.00 unit that’s rated for 500 pounds and a $40.00 unit that’s rated at 400 pounds. Which one did you get?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 5:57 am    

My EXCEL keyless steel weighs under 25 lbs. I put it in a padded rifle case that weighs less than five lbs. Easy to carry anywhere, even onto a plane and right up in the overhead.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 8:18 am    

I've used this cart for several years - super light and folds up flat. It does require two trips to load-in, but it can go up and down a few stairs (unlike a flat-bed cart). It's been a game changer. It runs $45 at Amazon, Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc..

https://tinyurl.com/2s3v9x59

Also, moving the pedal rack and legs out of the case and into a separate bag or case of some sort is the way to go...

Ellen Angelico

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 1:36 pm    

John Larson wrote:
I wonder if a Line 6 Helix Stomp would cover all the bases for a PSG rig, just it, steel, volume pedal, and some way to DI.

I occasionally go ampless with the HX Stomp for steel, and it’s great if you know you’re going to have a quality monitor and an attentive engineer. I also enjoy recording with it. But I don’t risk it on most smaller/bar gigs. Nothing worse than not hearing yourself, and having no way to remedy the situation!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 3:03 pm    

I like THIS....Folds right up, lightweight but sturdy

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 4:15 pm    

Dave Hopping wrote:
I like THIS....Folds right up, lightweight but sturdy

I use its little brother, the R2.

~Lee

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2024 6:50 pm    

Roger...It actually looks like there are a number of sellers for this cart, under different names, and with different specs and prices...but I suspect they all are the same unit...
Mine seems unavailable now, but there is this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094JLS858/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

I paid around $69 for mine, but this one looks exactly the same...a typical Amazon thing, multiple prices and names for the same product...
Mine has lasted a long while and worked well. the wheels are a bit small for going over a grassy field, but are fine for anywhere else...
and it is nice to not have to support any of the weight at all...and have it fold up into a tiny space.