The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alternative Payment Methods
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 3:44 pm    

Don't really know where to put this but here goes:

I'm looking for alternative methods of sending and receiving payments to and from forum members while doing transactions on the buy and sell boards.

I looked into paypal, and I know many of you use them but I don't like the idea of them having access to all my finances plus I've heard other snafus occurring with them.

I know there are others like venmo and something called cash clip or somthing like that.

Because it's so much trouble for people to send checks, money orders and because there's a proliferation of mail box thieves around I'd like to find another way.

I considered a post office box but they are terribly expensive. The intial info shows around $6 or 7 a month for starters but when you go to their website to reserve one it's $65 or so for 3 months and you have to sign up for auto renewals with no way to opt out.

Anything else that works for you?

I dunno, maybe just should stop doing transactions altogether.

Disgusted and frustrated on a Sat nite.

Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 4:26 pm     Jerry

I still use checks or money orders. I know it's old fashion, but it's been working for a100 years. I will not use any of those funny money deals pay-pal etc. If folks don't want to do it my way, they can keep whatever their selling, or I'll sell what I have to somebody else. End of story.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 4:40 pm    

That's the way I've been doing it Tom. It's just that some folks have had mail stolen out of their boxes in broad daylight in many neighborhoods. They don't care that it's a federal offense anymore cause who's going to catch/prosecute them?

I know that these electronic transactions are not without fault but there has to some way to help secure funds.

I've bought and sold a lot stuff through the forum this way, but now I'm considering just stop doing it.😒

Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 4:51 pm    

I live so far in the sticks we don't get mail delivered. We have go get it at the p.o. so mailbox theft is not a problem. However sometimes those $100,000 a year delivery people can't get a package to the right house.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 5:02 pm    

Yes, I understand. You are fortunate. I live in a populated neighborhood but I would rent a p.o. box forthwith if they weren't so doggone expensive.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 7:58 pm    

I've used PayPal to buy and sell since it started. Probably 1k+ deals over the years. Never, ever an issue. Plus, if there is, they help deal with it.

If you're really worried about them having having access to your bank info, just open a separate account that's PayPal only. Once you get your $$$, transfer it out into your main account. They can't touch that, without your permission.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2024 8:28 pm    

Yes Jim I've considered a second account but I admit I have not yet looked into it. Most banks charge a fee unless you carry a certain amount at all times. I have a senior account with my bank that waives all fees, but don't know if I can do that with a separate account.

No matter what, the time is coming when things are going to change away from what I've been doing.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 6:07 am    

If your bank has ZELLE; that is a wonderfully safe transfer of money.
Ricky

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 6:50 am    

I second Ricky's choice of Zelle. Transfers instantly, no fees, it's free at least if you have a Chase account.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 7:55 am    

Bill:

Is the recipient required to have a Chase (Zelle) account also?

I must say that I, too, have done countless PayPal transactions and haven't (so far) had a problem. This isn't what Jerry's asking, so probably irrelevant.

This Zelle thing intrigues me: I have a Chase credit-card so adding a checking account shouldn't be an issue.

No charges??

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 8:20 am    

Roger, Most major banks now offer Zelle.
It is INSTANT and no fees involved.

They take the money out of your account and put it in the other person's account or vice-versa.

You get an email telling about the transaction.

Jerry,
Have you thought of setting up an account with SQUARE to accept credit cards.
Yep there is a fee, but it is secure.

As far as PayPal, I have never had an issue with them.

Another solution that is free (at almost every bank) is online bill pay. The bank writes the check and pays the postage.

Just my opinion.
Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 8:51 am    

Yes I ONLY use Zelle through my Wells Fargo and you can send it to their: "Email; Text;..etc" and then they see how to enter Zelle right to their bank account. .....very very Safe....I've sent and received from 50 bux to 10,000 bux.
I've had Paypal from the start in the late 90's; but they pulled a "STUPID" as Now to pay online with paypal; you have to have that money in your account; they now will now draw from your bank card that is entered; if you don't have the money in account.....HELL NO....I don't like and it take freakin 3 to 4 days to put money in your paypal from your card......HELL no....so ONLY reason I keep my paypal account; is for someone wanting/needing to send money through paypal....other wise my REAL BUISNESS transactions work through ZELLE!!!!
Ricky

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 9:20 am    

So, with Zelle and other electronic means must you do your banking online as well? Rather is it a requirement to do so in order to use these services.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 11:07 am    

I used PayPal for many years. But we had a problem that wasn’t resolved as it should have been.
Three years ago a gentleman from China wanted to buy my Emmons.he also wanted it shipped to China and pay with PayPal.
I informed him I don’t do either.
The next thing PayPal informed me the the funds were in my account and to tell them when I shipped.
Long story short,after much wrangling the China guy received his money back less the fee.
Then they billed me for the sellers fee.
Final insult they turned me over to a collection agency.

Jonathan Scherer

Stehekin, Washington
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 6:06 am     Banking with Venmmo

Jerry,

I have been using Venmo for a few years. You do need to transfer funds to and from your Venmo account, to and from your banking account online.

So, if I get a payment from someone to my Venmo account,the money shows up there, and then I transfer the money to my bank account from the Venmo account, and do all this online.

Once it is all setup, the transfers go smooth. Had some aggravation in the beginning, thumbs up since then.

J

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 1:07 pm    

Thanks everybody...I'm considering all the suggestions. Meantime, I've opted for the much too expensive [$116 for 6 mos.] PO Box rental while I decide on other methods of sending and receiving payments.

This way, I can change all my financial correspondence, bills, utilities etc. anything with personal information to a more secure source.