The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open G 6 string tuning with Benders
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 9:40 am    

Can someone give me the best copedent for GBDGBD WITH BENDERS ON TWO STRING FOR LAP STEEL.

Carl
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 2:04 pm    

What benders are you using?
On pedal steel usually they would go from the equivalent of a D tuning to get to that G chord.

Usually:
D
A -> B
F# -> G
D
A
D

So if you are starting from the G tuning instead, you are more limited. At least if you are going for the conventional sounds.
Maybe raise the middle D to E to get E minor and G6th chords.
Bending both/either the higher B string to C and the higher G to A could be useful melodically I'd imagine.

I am assuming the benders can't LOWER the strings, but if they can, you could lower the high B to A, and the G to F#, for a reverse of the usual setup.

Let us know how it goes!

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 2:39 pm     G with benders

Looking at using Peters benders, and maybe a Gretch lap steel,

Thanks for your imput.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 7:58 am    

This great with pedals but may be awkward if you want to stay in G for any length of time

D
A =>B
F# =>G
D
B
G

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 9:08 am     G with benders

Just tried this tuning looks promising,thanks

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 10:35 am    

I have a Fouke aluminum lap steel, 6 string with two Certano benders......my tuning is:

1. D>E
2. B>C
3. G
4. D
5. B
6. G

Depressing both levers gives me a C (inversion).....the 4 chord change like the AB pedals......I also have the single change of D>E which gives me an E minor (inversion) and the 6th note of the G scale......

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 12:08 pm     G with benders

How are the benders set up ,sound very promising.

Christopher Blood

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 5:13 pm    

HowardR what gauge strings are you using for that set up

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 6:00 pm     Benders

Haven't tried it as yet.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 5:57 pm    

I’m not sure how benders behave with wound strings, but I’d like to try;

D
B
G
D -> E
B -> C
G

This takes you from G to Em7 and C major. Also CM7, C9, CM9, G6 etc…

To b honest the D major to G Major above makes more sense to me overall, but if I wanted my base tuning to be G high bass. The variant I suggested might work out.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 3:20 am     Benders

Thanks for your imput

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 9:16 am    

Christopher Blood wrote:
HowardR what gauge strings are you using for that set up

1. D>E.....016
2. B>C.....018
3. G.......028
4. D.......036
5. B.......046
6. G.......056

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 9:29 am     Benders

Have decided not to use benders as it won't give me what I want,thanks for your input.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 11:04 am     Re: Benders

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
Have decided not to use benders as it won't give me what I want,thanks for your input.

Carl, you might like a 7 string. You can keep your favourite 6 string tuning, and experiment with different options with the 7th string.

The other good option is the one you’ve already chosen. The dual six. Keep your favourite tuning on one neck and experiment on the other.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 2:43 pm     G with benders

Thanks Allen,

I have been messing with Gmaj9 and it is pretty good ,might stick with it.