The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 1955 Super Amp 6L6 Series
Thomas Engleman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 9:57 am    

Howdy everyone...I have a 1955 ( I think) Fender Super Amp. Quite worn from dragging it all over during the late 50's and into the late 60s...when I was playing steel with local country bands.
The model number is 5D4 and the serial number 5944.
Can anyone tell me what year it was manufactured?
It still works quite well. In 2020 I put my 1953 26 inch scale Fender String Master D8 back into playing condition.
In 1958 I was in trade school learning to become a machinist...and made a 2 pedal rig for the String Master an A and B pedal setup.
See My Resohangout video post.
Videos - Reso Hangout

[img]
[/img]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 10:36 am    

Per a chart that I've got, the D in 5D4 = 1954

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 12:37 pm    

I believe that 5D4 indicates the circuit was designed in 1954 . The production code is EA , which I think indicates a January 1955 build date .

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 12:49 pm    

J Fletcher wrote:
I believe that 5D4 indicates the circuit was designed in 1954 . The production code is EA , which I think indicates a January 1955 build date .

I hadn't given it thought but now that I do, it makes total sense that the model name/date code would correspond to the design date rather than the date of manufacture.

Let me also mention that for the hack pedal jobs I've seen on Stringmasters and Dual Pros (lord help me, I've got one here), that looks awfully good. I'd love to see detailed pictures.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 2:50 pm    

One of my serial number sites says #5944 on a Super indicates 1954, VERY late in the year. The January 1955 EA date code on the tube chart is pretty much consistent with a chassis assembled in late December but not mounted in a cab until a day or two after New Years. Winking

Thomas Engleman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 5:59 pm    

Hey thanks for responses. Regarding the 1958 pedal details I'll try attach a few photos. The old Springmaster was in it's original case since 1966...beat up case never looked at again from 1992 until 2020...when I decided to try to put it back together...which I did and made a couple videos...however YouTube took them down...due to age...I guess? If you go to Resohangout and my video media spot you see some of the stuff I posted.

Thomas Engleman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 6:06 pm    

Hey thanks for responses. Regarding the 1958 pedal details I'll try attach a few photos. The old Springmaster was in it's original case since 1966...beat up case never looked at again from 1992 until 2020...when I decided to try to put it back together...which I did and made a couple videos...however YouTube took them down...due to age...I guess? If you go to Resohangout and my video media spot you see some of the stuff I posted.